Robin 2 just my type

Discuss Spyderco's byrd knives.
FinnBear

Robin 2 just my type

Post by FinnBear »

Hi to You all knives enthusiasts,

I will praise Byrd Robin 2 (not a review) :winking-tongue

So I am that guy who doesn't think about himself as a knife collector (although I got several knives) but more as a knife user. I don't abuse it, but simple everyday light/hard tasks. Scratches are part of life, so I don't polish my blades.
I'm also the small blade fan as I can do almost everything I need to with it.

After many years of using SAKs, Rats, SOGs, CRKTs, Cases, Moras and Izulas I realized I want something similar or better in handling and working but with one-handed opening.

The obvious - OH SAK - is too big for my taste and needs so I looked at Spyderco knives.

After many reviews and opinions I was pretty sure I want a Dragonfly-ish knife. Because I couldn't afford it (it's not overpriced) and for sure I wouldn't buy a counterfeit or a clone I decided to buy a Byrd Robin 2 in FRN handle.

Oh Boy, that was such a good choice :)

So right from the box it was love at first sight. Lovley size, fit and finish - perfectly made - as I hoped, razor sharp, easy to open and close with one hand. Sure it was stiffer then the Spydercos I looked and touched but I wasn't buying it for flicking (although it is fun) but for work.

And it worked like a charm.

I got medium/large hands but Robin was like a glove. The choil was great, the jimping was correct, the blade length perfect. I could cut cardboards, boxes, do some time with woodcarving (sure it's not the best but it may surprise), cut wires, ropes and food. If you know how to do it :) And all of that with one hand only which is a great adventage. And what I wanted.

So I put it in my pocket and took it everywhere - from my everyday routine like job and walks, to canoeing and hiking and camping. Sure I got my trusty SAK Cybertool L in my bag (for other tools if I would be in need) and Izula/Mora (just in case) but I used Robin all the time and those other knives was hardly in hand. 5 long years of hard work and fun.

It was the most useable knife I've ever had. In fact there are 3 knives I love: the Robin, the Case Medium Jack and SAK Sportsman but since that little Byrd flew into my hands he made a nest inside my heart.

And after those years together he flew somewhere while canoeing. R2 was more like my friend so it was devastating.

But life goes on and I bought another one. New byrd flew to my hand. And I know already that it will be a long and happy friendship.

Thank You :)
TazKristi

Re: Robin 2 just my type

Post by TazKristi »

Hi, FinnBear:
Welcome to our forum. Thank you for taking the time to share your experience. It's fantastic to hear that your Robin 2 served you so well for so long. I trust that your new byrd knife will serve you equally as well.

We hope you enjoy your time with us!

Kristi
There is nothing more important than this one day.
Bemo

Post by Bemo »

Thanks for the report! The Byrd line just doesn't seem to get the credit it deserves. Spyderco's 8CrMov is run harder than other manufacturers which makes it a different experience. I've really become enamored of the Harrier 2 particularly in the wharnie configuration.
skeeg11

Post by skeeg11 »

+1
embry386

Post by embry386 »

Byrd really is a great value. I have one of the Rescue Cara Caras as a car knife, and I lie how solid and strong it feels. Not a fancy tool, but a good and useable and dependable one.

Enjoy the new Byrd! ;)
Last edited by embry386 on Fri Aug 19, 2022 6:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
embry386

Post by embry386 »

accidental double post
Ranger_Ike

Post by Ranger_Ike »

That would make a great children’s storybook. I’d buy one.
FinnBear

Post by FinnBear »

Thank You for all your posts and kind words. I rarely write on forums but in this case I decided to speak up for a robin as I think this knife deserves more praise.

@ranger_ike I'm glad you like it :)
rmeron

Post by rmeron »

Thanks FinnBear, nice to here as I just bought one.
z1r

Post by z1r »

I have a SE SS R2 and PE FRN. Great little knives. I love the Byrds I have. My Hawkbill gets a lot of use, just wish they made a PE version too.