New Byrd knife with a hard to open button

Discuss Spyderco's byrd knives.
LynneV

New Byrd knife with a hard to open button

Post by LynneV »

This is my second Byrd 8Cr13moV knife, I lost my last one

The problem is I have arthritis in my thumbs which makes it very hard to open the knife.
My last one was not as bad as this one although my husband has one I cannot open.
Is there anything I can do to make the button easier to operate? Lubricant, filling down the angle in there,
anything to make this easy for me.
Michael Janich

Re: New Byrd knife with a hard to open button

Post by Michael Janich »

Dear LynneV:

Welcome to the Spyderco Forum.

If you have arthritis, you might be better served with a lock mechanism that requires less strength to operate. Most byrd knives are back locks, which have strong springs. You might find a linerlock--like the Raven--easier to operate.

Stay safe,

Mike
LynneV

Post by LynneV »

Hey thanks for getting back time.
The thingI like about the Byrd is the fully serrated blade, I don’t
see that on a lot of knives.
My old one was easier to use so I may have my machinist husband see if he can make this on easier.
Thanks for your reply
Cl1ff

Post by Cl1ff »

LynneV wrote:
Wed Aug 10, 2022 6:22 pm

The problem is I have arthritis in my thumbs which makes it very hard to open the knife.
My last one was not as bad as this one although my husband has one I cannot open.
Is there anything I can do to make the button easier to operate? Lubricant, filling down the angle in there,
I think the advice from Mr. Janich is good to consider.

Alternatively, depending on exactly what knife model you have (is it pinned or screwed construction?), there my be a way to loosen the pivot slightly or lower the spring tension as I have seen posts demonstrating how to modify this on other models from Spyderco.
If it is pinned I think the only potential way to make it easier to open is adding lubricant or breaking it in with repeated openings (the latter is obviously not the best option for your hands, but perhaps you could have your husband help by fidgeting with the knife as a last resort).
rex121 is the king of steel, but nature’s teeth have been cutting for hundreds of millions of years and counting :cool:
Araignee

Post by Araignee »

LynneV wrote:
Wed Aug 10, 2022 6:22 pm

Hi Lynne, it's indeed possible to make backlocks much easier to open. It involves opening the knife, and moving forward the spring which resides under the lock bar.

Have a look at this specific post : viewtopic.php?p=1253309#p1253309

That post covers the Chaparral but the logic and operation steps remain the same with other backlocks - at least those of the Byrd family. I've done exactly this on a Meadowlark, and it worked well.
LynneV

Post by LynneV »

Thanks so much everyone for the help and advice. My husband opened her up and moved the spring.
Amazing! Like a new knife. My thumbs are very happy.
Araignee

Post by Araignee »

Glad we could be of help and thanks for letting us know how it went 👍

Also, good on you for having the reflex to find the Spyderco forum in the first place :hundred-points

May you enjoy many years of pleasant use with your current and future Spyderco/Byrd knives :smiling-cheeks
rmeron

Post by rmeron »

How does the spring stay in place after it's moved??
SpyderEdgeForever

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

Michael Janich wrote:
Thu Aug 11, 2022 7:02 am
Dear LynneV:

Welcome to the Spyderco Forum.

If you have arthritis, you might be better served with a lock mechanism that requires less strength to operate. Most byrd knives are back locks, which have strong springs. You might find a linerlock--like the Raven--easier to operate.

Stay safe,

Mike

Hello Michael, I received a Byrd Wharncliffe Harrier. It is a most superb knife. I also love the Byrd Hawkbills.