Byr forum inactivity

Discuss Spyderco's byrd knives.
skeeg11

Byr forum inactivity

Post by skeeg11 »

Why is this Byrd forum so inactive? It should be abuzz about the new Wharnies.
Ramonade

Re: Byr forum inactivity

Post by Ramonade »

I think byrd customers frequent this forum a bit less. Since it is mostly populated (and textly flooded!) by knifes AFIs owning several spydercos.

I am with you on the wharnies, I hope there will be more reports on how they perform ! I'll buy one sooner than later, but haven't pressed the buy button yet.
:respect In the collection :respect : Lots of different steels, in lots of different (and same) Spydercos.

Robin. Finally made an IG : ramo_knives

MNOSD member 004* aka Mr. N5s :face-clouds
z1r

Post by z1r »

I'll say this much for the new Meadow Lark SE Wharnie I got, I hate it. Why, because it is put together so much better than my beloved Hawkbill.

The Wharnie Meadowlark has no play whatever in it. Same great feel in the hand (same handle) and that awesome blade. Just wish my Hawkbill had the same level of QC.

Been meaning to run to the SFO and pick up a SE Wharnie Harrier 2.
skeeg11

Post by skeeg11 »

z1r wrote:
Mon May 09, 2022 9:35 am
I'll say this much for the new Meadow Lark SE Wharnie I got, I hate it. Why, because it is put together so much better than my beloved Hawkbill.

The Wharnie Meadowlark has no play whatever in it. Same great feel in the hand (same handle) and that awesome blade. Just wish my Hawkbill had the same level of QC.

Been sayin' this for a long time. :winking-tongue Superior build and fit. No lock slop in any of the Byrds I've purchased. Finally someone concurs. My serrated Harrier 2 Wharnie is a winner on so many levels. Also purchase a Cara Cara 2 serrated Wharnie because I tend to like larger knives, but something about the Harrier 2 Wharnie hits that Goldilocks spot.
z1r

Post by z1r »

I used to say this too until my Byrd Hawkbill exhibited both lock rock and side to side play. Not sure why it bothers me so that my $30 knife has play but 1) it really is one of my favorite knifes, one of the first several Spyderco's I bought and I just love the ergos, performance, and look. 2) It's not what I expect from a Byrd. It bothers me enough that I got another Hawkbill, this one is better but has some lock rock. My Wharnie however is like a bank vault. Ok, enough moaning from me. I'm chalking it up to: I got a lemon.

But I do like my Meadowlark SE so much, I am definitely getting another as well as a Harrier! IMO, exlcuding the one bad example, I do feel these are teh best vale folders out there!
skeeg11

Post by skeeg11 »

Sorry to hear that. The Hawkbill was my first Byrd and is still tight as a bank vault. Have you taken yours apart for cleaning and inspection?
z1r

Post by z1r »

skeeg11 wrote:
Mon May 09, 2022 11:26 am
Sorry to hear that. The Hawkbill was my first Byrd and is still tight as a bank vault. Have you taken yours apart for cleaning and inspection?
I did send it in for warranty, got it back somewhat improved but the lock rock and side play are still there. I guess it's more an emotional attachment I have with the knife. But, I guess now I have license to use the heck out of it. I'll say this though, the cutting edge has yet to disappoint. While everyone else wants a Spyderco in some dream configuration, my wish is for a PE Hawkbill that locks up like my Wharnie Meadowlark! I have a Crossbill that I really like, except being all stainless, it is way too heavy but that darn blade cuts and cuts and sharpens up so easily! I want that in a Hawkbill.
Ramonade

Post by Ramonade »

z1r wrote:

Oh, I must have been lucky then because I was amazed at the fact that there is no play (vertical or horizontal) on my Hakwbill. It's even better than The Stretch 2 K390, and any other japanese Spyderco I own.
:respect In the collection :respect : Lots of different steels, in lots of different (and same) Spydercos.

Robin. Finally made an IG : ramo_knives

MNOSD member 004* aka Mr. N5s :face-clouds
skeeg11

Post by skeeg11 »

Ramonade wrote:
Mon May 09, 2022 1:48 pm
z1r wrote:

Oh, I must have been lucky then because I was amazed at the fact that there is no play (vertical or horizontal) on my Hakwbill. It's even better than The Stretch 2 K390, and any other japanese Spyderco I own.
More than luck I think. Lockup on all my Byrds have absolutely no play and are better than any Japanese Spyderco I have owned.
Bemo

Post by Bemo »

I've been using my Robyn and Meadowlark Wharnies as shop knives/marking knives. Honestly couldn't ask for better. Steel is easy to sharpen with good old Norton stones like my chisels and just performs great. The thin blade stock makes for excellent cutters. I've said it before but or my hand the Harrier 2 actually fits my hand better than any of the comparable Seki FRN knives. Issue those in BD1N and you'd have an incredible knife for reasonable price.
bjz

Post by bjz »

While I haven’t really spent any time with the raven2/crow2, my tern and Byrd back locks have all been great! My harrier frn and hawkbill are much better in the smoothness and lockup arena than any of my Seki knives. The hawkbill esp is a vault! Waiting to replenish the budget a bit before picking up a few of the new wharnies!

The only Byrd I’ve had an issue with is my own fault for wrecking that plastic alignment tab that essentially keeps the lock spring tight. DUH!
apollo
Location: A place where idiots and corrupt people are called the government…

Post by apollo »

I have a few byrds all of them are without any blade play.
The locks are strong the blades sharp there good knives and very good knives for the money.
The Raven 2 should even be a Spyderco in my eyes since it is way better then a byrd should be.
In my eyes its a better knife then the tenacious or polestar.
All the other byrds are on the same level there just very well made knives with costs in mind.
But i do also think spyderco can make byrds even better it they wanted to.
The only thing that bugs mee on byrds frn models is there handle design there a bit to “square” feeling in hand with the sharper edges. If they would a bit more rounder they would be better for me.
That said the quality of those knives is indeed surpassing the quality of seki. I fear those will never be the same again.
cjk

Post by cjk »

I own zero byrds.
I do think they could make great gifts. However, how will be interpreted if I give someone "the byrd"?
z1r

Post by z1r »

cjk wrote:
Wed Jul 20, 2022 11:51 am
I own zero byrds.
I do think they could make great gifts. However, how will be interpreted if I give someone "the byrd"?
They will be received with gratitude! I like what you did there.

I actually did give a coworker a Byrd as a replacement for his S&W that he was so proud of only a week prior. Then one day he comes in and says it has opened in his pocket twice and once cut open his pants. I asked to see it and couldn't even flick it open. The detent was so weak, it was no wonder it opened. Later that day I stopped by the SFO and picked up a CE Harrier 2 for him. He's been carrying that H2 for more than a year now and still loves it.

Lots of people know that the Byrd Hawkbill is one of my favorite Spyderco knives. It performs superbly for the uses I require working in a garden center.

Not long ago I picked up a Delica 4 SE Wharnie. But I also picked up a Meadowlark SE Wharnie.

The Byrd offers some features that many may consider an improvement over the Delica. Such as, a finger choil, smaller handle, lower price.

It performs so well, I went back and got a Harrier 2 Wharnie. The Harrier has a handle just barely larger than the Delica but a blade almost 1/2" longer than the Delica.

I'm not really a Wharnie fan but with these SE blades, they are amazing and uber affordable.
cjk

Post by cjk »

z1r wrote:
Wed Jul 20, 2022 12:25 pm
cjk wrote:
Wed Jul 20, 2022 11:51 am
I own zero byrds.
They will be received with gratitude! I like what you did there.
:smlling-eyes #dadjokes

I've been occasionally tempted by the byrds. I may have to pick one up. I am a wharnie fan.
crazywednesday

Post by crazywednesday »

Sorry, I've been inactive on all forums lately.
Justin