Soft slip joint typical?...

Discuss Spyderco's byrd knives.
Coastal

Soft slip joint typical?...

Post by Coastal »

Byrd noob here. I only have one, a Tern that I bought used and cheap, mainly to check out the Byrd concept. The blade is not very strongly biased to either the open or closed position. Unlike my UKPKs, it's almost uncomfortably easy to close. Is this normal for the Byrd line or, as I suspect, did I just buy a worn-out specimen?

Otherwise, it's a cool little knife.
Coastal

Re: Soft slip joint typical?...

Post by Coastal »

Well, now I see that the rest of the Byrd line has locks, so my slip joint issue is isolated to the Tern.
bjz

Post by bjz »

I’ve had a number of terns over time…it was the ONLY knife I carried for a very very long time. All of mine were great in every way including the slip-joint action opening and closing.

Yours might just be an artifact of past ownership? One thing I really like about the tern vs ukpn is the fact that, like many spyderco lockbacks, the finger choil provides a great “catch” when closing. The ukpn most certainly bit me coming from a tern
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Coastal,

The Tern is the only byrd slip joint at this time. It has gone through a few CQI's over the years. The latest one, I redesigned recently and I think it's the best so far.

sal
Coastal

Post by Coastal »

bjz wrote: I’ve had a number of terns over time…it was the ONLY knife I carried for a very very long time. All of mine were great in every way including the slip-joint action opening and closing.

Yours might just be an artifact of past ownership? One thing I really like about the tern vs ukpn is the fact that, like many spyderco lockbacks, the finger choil provides a great “catch” when closing. The ukpn most certainly bit me coming from a tern
sal wrote:
Thu Feb 24, 2022 2:20 am
Hi Coastal,

The Tern is the only byrd slip joint at this time. It has gone through a few CQI's over the years. The latest one, I redesigned recently and I think it's the best so far.

sal
Thank you both for your responses. It's clear that I bought a worn-out or misused knife. All is not lost, though, because at least I learned what a nice design the Tern is, in hand and in pocket.
araneae

Post by araneae »

Mine had a nice spring tension.
So many knives, so few pockets... :)
-Nick

Last in: N5 Magnacut
The "Spirit" of the design does not come through unless used. -Sal