Byrd Ergos? (why isn’t the cara cara chamfered)

Discuss Spyderco's byrd knives.
electro-static

Byrd Ergos? (why isn’t the cara cara chamfered)

Post by electro-static »

I carried a byrd Cara Cara 2 for about half a decade after I lost my endura3 and couldn’t justify spending money on a new knife. Over All they are excellent knives as users, I would go as far as to say I can’t justify buying a VG-10 spyderco over a similar byrd model.

I have however noticed that the cara cara’s handles lack the comfortable chamfering of the endura (Since then I have purchased a K390 endura, and several other spyderco knives).

Update 6/22/2022: My recently purchased Bryd Cara Cara 2 has a handle that seems a lot more well chamfered than my old one. Thank you Spyderco!

Byrd knives to be are one of the best values on the market, is there a reason why they lack the comfortable chamfering of the seki FRN knives?Most people I know prefer the endura’s chamfering.
Last edited by electro-static on Wed Jun 22, 2022 9:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
weeping minora

Re: Byrd Ergos? (why isn’t the cara cara chamfered)

Post by weeping minora »

electro-static wrote:
Wed Feb 23, 2022 10:46 am
I carried a byrd Cara Cara 2 for about half a decade after I lost my endura3 and couldn’t justify spending money on a new knife. Over All they are excellent knives as users, I would go as far as to say I can’t justify buying a VG-10 spyderco over a similar byrd model.

I have however noticed that the cara cara’s handles lack the comfortable chamfering of the endura (Since then I have purchased a K390 endura, and several other spyderco knives).

Byrd knives to be are one of the best values on the market, is there a reason why they lack the comfortable chamfering of the seki FRN knives?Most people I know prefer the endura’s chamfering.

Seems to be some of that cut in cost may be due to a cut in labor. Less labor in manufacture (chamfering) = less out-of-pocket to the laborer = less cost upon the customer. Perhaps.
Make Knife Grinds Thin Again.
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Electro-static,

Are you talking out the Stainless handled version, or the FRN version?

sal
araneae

Post by araneae »

I am guessing he's talking FRN. The second generation Byrds have a more squared off, slab sided FRN handle rather than the more contoured handle of the Delica and other Seki models or the first gen Byrds. There are Spydies like this too- Manix, Native 5. I was certainly disappointing when the less ergonomic handles started appearing, I am not a fan and often take a Dremel to them to add curves. It's not the prettiest result and takes some time, but makes a more user friendly knife IMO.
So many knives, so few pockets... :)
-Nick

Last in: N5 Magnacut
The "Spirit" of the design does not come through unless used. -Sal
sal

Post by sal »

Thanx for the input. I'll look into it. We're getting ready to make a new mold for the Cara Cara. I' make sure they are better radiused.

sal
electro-static

Post by electro-static »

sal wrote:
Wed Feb 23, 2022 6:47 pm
Thanx for the input. I'll look into it. We're getting ready to make a new mold for the Cara Cara. I' make sure they are better radiused.

sal

Thanks Sal, I didn’t expect response and really appreciate you looking into the molds. I’ll have to get one of the ones made with the new molds to check it out!

I had a FRN model, I think I bought it around 2012-2013 (I don’t have it anymore, I gave it to my roommate who does landscaping after getting my K390 endura, he absolutely loved and used the **** out of it for his purposes the 8CrMoV did very well even when doing nasty jobs like cutting PVC and wire)

My question is pertaining to the solid rim around the bi-directional textured area, I noticed that it is much thinner than on the seki spyderco models and lacks the comfy thick chamfered area for the index finger.

I know that the designs are meant to be slightly different and like the finger choil on the Cara Cara 2, and was wondering why this area around the bi-directional textured handle area was thinner, it doesn’t seem like it can support a widely radiused chamfer such as one found on the endura.

Thanks Again!
Toucan

Post by Toucan »

I'd love a more rounded Cara Cara. I only own an SS model because the current FRN is way to blocky for my tastes.
skeeg11

Post by skeeg11 »

sal wrote:

sal
That's good news Will the new Cara Cara Wharnie's handle be from the new mold?
sal

Post by sal »

It will be a while before the new mold is made and functioning.

sal
skeeg11

Post by skeeg11 »

As always, thanks for the info Sal.
Oloung1

Post by Oloung1 »

araneae wrote:
Wed Feb 23, 2022 6:30 pm
... I am not a fan and often take a Dremel to them to add curves. It's not the prettiest result and takes some time, but makes a more user friendly knife IMO.
I did the same with emery boards by filing down the FRN edges for a rounder profile. Initially after filing it looked unpleasant with the different cut marks and discoloration but functionally it felt smoother to use.

I'm glad to read there are plans for updates in future molds.
PocketShredder

Post by PocketShredder »

electro-static wrote:
Wed Feb 23, 2022 10:46 am

If you're not satisfied with the ergos on the Cara Cara 2, you might prefer the Harrier 2 Lightweight, which has more chamfering and smoother edges than those of the Cara Cara 2. The Cara Cara 2 fits my hand slightly better, but I appreciate the chamfering and smoothness of the Harrier 2 handle a lot more.
Image:bug-red-white
"All God's critters have knives."
araneae

Post by araneae »

sal wrote:

sal
Thanks for listening Sal. Looking forward to some curves!
So many knives, so few pockets... :)
-Nick

Last in: N5 Magnacut
The "Spirit" of the design does not come through unless used. -Sal
skeeg11

Post by skeeg11 »

sal wrote:
Thu Feb 24, 2022 2:24 am
It will be a while before the new mold is made and functioning.

sal
God bless you Sal. Now I understand. Cara Cara 2 Serrated wharnie and others just started being listed as available. Order just placed. Really looking forward to getting these Byrd wharnies in a few days time. :smlling-eyes
Sonorum

Post by Sonorum »

sal wrote:

sal
Hi Sal.

This seems like a good evolution for all Byrd models because the Harrier 2 feels like it comes from a different price category than the Meadowlark when it comes to FRN.

And if may be so bold.
Could we maybe skip the finger grooves? I imagine that the ergos would fit more hands without making it slip out of your hand. The Native 5 and Shaman for instance is fantastic and those knives doesn't really slip out of your hand.
This is crudely made in Paint.
/ David
z1r

Post by z1r »

I dunno, one of the things I like best about some of the Byrd models is their handle shape. Not so much chamfered vs unchamfered, but the finger choil and finger grooves. For instance, I really like the Hawkbill because of its finger choil. Absent from the Delica and Tasman models.

I always attributed the slabsidedness of the Byrds to their price point. It never stopped me from buying though, especially because of the choil on the Hawkbill.
Sonorum

Post by Sonorum »

sal wrote:

sal
The Harrier is a great handle, if the rest of the line up is like that it would be great. I prefer the Harrier handle over the Meadowlark for instance, as far as chamfering goes.
/ David
z1r

Post by z1r »

Yeah, the Harrier really is a great model. I don't need another, but was so impressed with the Meadowlark SE Wharnie that I will be buying a PE Wharnie Harrier soon.
electro-static

Post by electro-static »

Just an Update, I purchased a Bryd Cara-Cara 2 as a gift for my roommate recently and can confirm that it is a lot more comfortable than my
old one. I don’t know if the new molds are in, or if it’s just CQI in the past decade since I bought my old one, but Thank you for the improvement on this budget beast! hands down best folder under $40.
olywa

Post by olywa »

I've been well pleased with the FRN scales on the Harrier 2 Wharnie SE that I picked up recently. I'd love to see a Harrier 2 Hawkbill SE. I'd order it in a heartbeat. My only other Byrd is the Meadowlark Hawkbill SE and while I like it a lot, I'd love to see the scales get a Harrier 2 make-over.

As an aside, it's nice to see some fresh activity on the Byrd forum page. These are high value folders and I wish I had discovered them sooner.