Anyone modify or improve their Byrds?

Discuss Spyderco's byrd knives.
yogibearal

Anyone modify or improve their Byrds?

Post by yogibearal »

Thought I'd share a little with what I do with my Byrds after I get them new.

I realize Byrds may be for the budget conscious folks, but it doesn't mean that they need to look/feel budget.
When I get a new Byrd Meadowlark, FRN/G10, there are several areas where I do a little fine tuning to freshen them up.

- First step is to do a take down and and clean.
- While the knife is apart I look for areas than can be smoothed or edges that can cause a minor scratch or scuff to my skin,
a. The thumb hole and blade in general - sometimes have very acute edges. Well machined but sharp, so I take down the edges for the thumbhole, spine, jimping, and then do a light polish (reduces corrosion IMO - I use around salt water and rinse after each use, no problems so far). fine tune lock bar and blade contact areas - for smoother deployment.
b. I do the same for the scales, clean up screw holes, knock down the edges etc....
c. The backspacer on the FRN does protrude a bit, so I take it down a little to level with the scales. The G10 has less of an issue with the stainless backspacer, but I polish the entire spine/backspacer to satin finish and knock down edges.
- Then I just check the factory bevel and correct if needed, or just strop to hair splitting - before re-assembling. :)

I've gotten compliments on them many times. My friend who turned me onto these knives was surprised at what a little work can do to make them feel premium. Functionally I think they are great knives. The lack of fit and finish on some can be easily remedied to an extent, then they become a fine working instrument. The 8CR13MoV has been a great daily user and easy to touch up if needed. The Byrd and 8Cr13MoV lettering is fine, but sometimes I wish I can polish out the "Ⓡ and China". :P Best of all, if I lose or scratch them up during use, it doesn't hurt like some of my other more pricier knives.

Any other mods folks do regularly on these?
anomad

Re: Anyone modify or improve their Byrds?

Post by anomad »

I just gave the one I have a good sharpening on the WE130. It's a treat to carry and cuts nicely.

araneae

Post by araneae »

I'll often do a lot of the things you mentioned to tune up my new knives.
So many knives, so few pockets... :)
-Nick

Last in: N5 Magnacut
The "Spirit" of the design does not come through unless used. -Sal
Oloung1

Post by Oloung1 »

yogibearal wrote:
Wed Jan 19, 2022 4:01 pm
a. The thumb hole and blade in general - sometimes have very acute edges. Well machined but sharp, so I take down the edges for the thumbhole, spine, jimping, and then do a light polish (reduces corrosion IMO - I use around salt water and rinse after each use, no problems so far). fine tune lock bar and blade contact areas - for smoother deployment.
What do you use to knock down the spine? I've used the sharpmaker browns placed on the bottom of the base.
northern munkey

Post by northern munkey »

20221212_174006.jpg
I had to put a wire clip on after catching my knife on a bench and destroyed the screw holes. Lucky I had a wire clip and bolt from a broken dragonfly 2. A little cutting and I'm quite pleased with the result ( it is my work knife so not perfect) now I wish all G10 meadowlark's had the wire clip
Bemo

Post by Bemo »

Great job!
remnar

Post by remnar »

I've modified a couple. Here's a link to one of my posts:

viewtopic.php?f=14&t=77767&p=1209599&hi ... d#p1209599