Trying SE for the first time on a Byrd ?

Discuss Spyderco's byrd knives.
Ramonade

Trying SE for the first time on a Byrd ?

Post by Ramonade »

Hello there,

I do not come here often since I do not own any Byrd.
Here's why I came to write this thread :

Since some months now, and being influenced by some nefarious forumites, I've had a strong desire to try a knife with the infamous SpyderEdge. I was planning on getting the Endela SE since I've had testimonies that cutting with it was like cutting with PE, only better.
However, I've invested in a personnal grail of mine (s90v fluted CF Native 5) and a ladybug k390 recently. I've got plenty of things to test and carry, but I was wondering if the Byrd line-up could offer me a taste of the SE.

Are the serrations from the Byrd line totally different from the Spyderco line ? Could it be a way for me to try SE for a more than moderate price ?
:respect In the collection :respect : Lots of different steels, in lots of different (and same) Spydercos.

Robin. Finally made an IG : ramo_knives

MNOSD member 004* aka Mr. N5s :face-clouds
Cl1ff

Re: Trying SE for the first time on a Byrd ?

Post by Cl1ff »

The Byrd serrations should perform just as well as the regular Spydercos, so I don’t think you can go wrong!
I’m not sure which blade shapes you prefer, but the Hawkbill may be the best for quickly discovering how well serrations can really cut.
rex121 is the king of steel, but nature’s teeth have been cutting for hundreds of millions of years and counting :cool:
Ramonade

Post by Ramonade »

That's a good thing then! I was interested in the Hawkbill Meadowlark 2, or a Rescue 2 . Can find the Meadowlark 2 for around 33€ (like, under $40 i guess)
:respect In the collection :respect : Lots of different steels, in lots of different (and same) Spydercos.

bjz

Post by bjz »

Most folks would likely agree that for some reason, the Byrd serrations have a “less snaggy” profile straight from the factory! Many of the “nefarious forumites” you speak of go through great lengths to reprofile their spyderedge blades to get something similar as they slice smoother.

Currently you can only get Byrd teeth in either the hawkbill or the rescues. None are ffg but all are pretty nice. I have a hawkbill and meadowlark rescue. The few of us over here at the Byrd sun-forum are awaiting Byrd wharncliffe blades that at least were planned to include full SE options! Those will hopefully be worth the wait!!!

Another economical option is the tenacious SE!! I also have one of those and it’s my daily driver at work. I have found the tooth profile to be nice and rounded, it’s ffg, the handle is more handfilling for heavy cutting. For $45 I’m blown away every time I use it.
z1r

Post by z1r »

I think the Cara Cara rescue or Hawkbill will do you right. Here's a pic of my Hawkbill along with my Tasman Salt and Wharnie Delica. The Byrd has a nice finger choil if you like those sort of things.

I like it so much I'm getting another Hawkbill soon just because it is such a great value. Mine is wicked sharp from the factory.

Ramonade

Post by Ramonade »

I've just ordered a hawkbill, even tho it seemed to be a "Meadowlark 2" Hawkbill ! We'll see on thursday ^^

I thought about trying a Tenacious SE, but it's pretty expensive here in France. The usual 20€ mark up on spyderco model is pretty much respected on this, and we can find them for around 65€ (sometimes 55).
Happy to know the experience will be nice, impatient to get it !

Thanks for all the answers :grin-smiling-eyes

The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

Ramonade wrote:
Tue Nov 02, 2021 2:00 pm
I've just ordered a hawkbill, even tho it seemed to be a "Meadowlark 2" Hawkbill ! We'll see on thursday ^^

I thought about trying a Tenacious SE, but it's pretty expensive here in France. The usual 20€ mark up on spyderco model is pretty much respected on this, and we can find them for around 65€ (sometimes 55).

Awesome! The byrd hawkbill is a terrific knife. I love mine!
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
bjz

Post by bjz »

Yep, the hawkbill is pretty awesome (regardless of price).
z1r

Post by z1r »

bjz wrote:
Tue Nov 02, 2021 7:39 pm
Yep, the hawkbill is pretty awesome (regardless of price).
Agreed, but for me, the fact that it is a "bargain" or "budget" knife that performs well out of its league, makes it that much more appealing to me. I've always been a fan of the underdog!
z1r

Post by z1r »

Ramonade wrote:
Tue Nov 02, 2021 2:00 pm

I am sure that you will be happy with the purchase. I like the Tenacious a lot, a great knife, but the Hawkbill is great in its own way. Love the blade shape, love the backlock, and the ergos are very good too. It's not fidgety like a Tenacious can be, but you pick up the Hawkbill, and you know it is ready to tackle whatever you want.

Looking forward to seeing what you think.
crazywednesday

Post by crazywednesday »

bjz wrote:
Tue Nov 02, 2021 11:47 am
Most folks would likely agree that for some reason, the Byrd serrations have a “less snaggy” profile straight from the factory! Many of the “nefarious forumites” you speak of go through great lengths to reprofile their spyderedge blades to get something similar as they slice smoother.
Byrd serrations are also very easy to sharpen!
Justin
Ramonade

Post by Ramonade »

I think that byrd might have broken one of its wyngs !
The tracking isn't updated and it's supposed to arrive today, before 10pm (it's already 8pm :') )

z1r

Post by z1r »

Hope not! On a related note, a shipping label was created for my ZDP Stretch 2 was created on October 29 but I never received an update saying it was received . Today I see it arrived at the local USPS distribution center. So, with luck, I'll have it tomorrow! Hope yours arrives as well!
Ramonade

Post by Ramonade »

z1r wrote:
Thu Nov 04, 2021 1:26 pm
Hope not! On a related note, a shipping label was created for my ZDP Stretch 2 was created on October 29 but I never received an update saying it was received . Today I see it arrived at the local USPS distribution center. So, with luck, I'll have it tomorrow! Hope yours arrives as well!
Happy for you ! The Stretch 2 (and 1) seems to be an outstanding knife. I really want to buy the k390 one, but I might limit myself to the regular blade shape VG-10 one (I do not have any VG-10 on me right now).

Ramonade

Post by Ramonade »

Lost my whole post because of a missclick... What an idiot :shush
Here we go again...

I received my Hawkbill today ! The amazon product page listed it as a Meadowlark II with Hawkbill blade shape in SE, I guess it's the old name for it since I can see both stickers on the box. I was just surprised seeing "Hawkbill" on the handle ^^

Right out of the box, you can see that this is a mean blade shape with gorgeous teeth ready to cut! I did some testing and it can go through like 5 layers of thick cardboard when a PE would just give up. Pretty impressive, and it is really thin BTE thanks to the hollow grind.

However, I feel a ton of grittyness while opening and closing the blade. This means one thing :

Just after having almost removed the liner, I put it back when I remember the PITA it is to put it back on the FRN knob on this kind of knives :

Let's go the other route then :

These two pics show the suspects : the residue on the blade and washers, that looks like a dry mechanic oil (?), and the burrs at the inner diameter of both washers :

Almost done, all cleaned, burrs removed on the washer without thinning them away, there's just this wonderful step left due to this method :

The knife runs smoothly now ! The edge itself had a minuscule burr near the tip, but it was easy to remove it. I'll try to upload a "1 month use" post or something like that.
I can already tell this can eat through a lot !

z1r

Post by z1r »

Glad you got it! Looking forward to your 1 month report.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

bjz wrote:
Tue Nov 02, 2021 11:47 am
I don't know if I'm considered one of the "nefarious Forumites" or not but I'll throw my 2 cents worth in anyway. I consider this Forum like being in Sal's living room and I strictly try to operate as such.

I've contributed to and launched several threads over the years for open discussion about the Spyderedge and it's variants. Because there are differences in Spyderco's serration patterns. Also with a little ingenuity you yourself can slightly modify even the most "spikey" of all the Spyderco serration patterns to suit your own individual needs.

Spyderco's serration patterns from their Japan line versus the patterns from their GOLDEN CO, USA line are somewhat different ( more spikey). Also Spyderco's serration pattern from several of their great kitchen knives are more of a rounded/wavy type SE pattern ( especially in the K-04 & K-05 models) which I find far more suitable for food and other uses where the more "spikey" pattern does tend to snag up on cloth and other materials. I've never owned an SE Byrd blade of a yet so I can't really comment on their SE patterns. But I have used the entire gamut of all the serration patterns on Spyderco's main line up of blades and you can modify them to your own needs or simply shop around to see which particular pattern pleases you the most. Because not all serration patterns are created equal.

I truly wish Spyderco would offer some of their hard use serrated blades with the more rounded/wavy type pattern as I have found that particular pattern to have advantages in certain cutting chores. Each pattern has it's own distinction and each pattern is better suited for different jobs. I hope that gives everyone some indication of what you need to look for when purchasing a full SE unit. Note: I'm sure the Byrd units are quite suitable for most needs of a full SE blade.
Ramonade

Post by Ramonade »

The sharpening is what slowed me down in buying my first SE knife. And before reading about SE on this forum, what stopped me was the terrible serrations I had seen from other brands.

The more "wavy" serrations you mentionned are those that interest me the most because they mimic the cutting "pattern" of PE. The SE on that Hawkbill can of course cut straigth, but I've noticed that they'll cut straigth only when it's a thick material. It's blade shape and serrations perform really well against dense cardboard and for shaving wood.

I'm pretty sure that this next month is gonna see a lot of cuts with that hawkbill !

skeeg11

Post by skeeg11 »

JD Spydo wrote:
Sat Nov 06, 2021 5:19 am
I've never owned an SE Byrd blade of a yet so I can't really comment on their SE patterns. I'm sure the
Yikes!!! Say it ain't so. You just blew my mind. :exploding-head
Ramonade

Post by Ramonade »

Well, haven't had much time with it for now on but I can already say that it blows through a lot of material easily.
It eats wood like popcorn and cardboard, well, a plain edge wouldn't cut this as easily :