Fully-serrated FFG Byrd Models?

Discuss Spyderco's byrd knives.
The Meat man

Fully-serrated FFG Byrd Models?

Post by The Meat man »

Pardon me if this question has already been addressed but does anyone know why we don't have any FFG options when it comes to fully serrated byrd knives?

I've been carrying the Byrd Cara Cara Rescue lately and I think the byrd Serration pattern is hands down the best out of all the other Spyderco serrations. They are perfectly "broken in" straight from the factory, no exhaustive re-profile required. They combine the aggresive cutting performance of SE while not being snaggy, pointy, thick, or deep.

I would love to see some FFG Byrd knives offered in full SE. I'd buy at least one, probably more. The 8Cr13MoV steel may be regarded as mediocre in PE but I can tell you it's no slouch in SE! Put those sweet byrd serrations on a Full Flat ground blade (3-4"), and you've got a cutting tool that rivals the best of them! And all in a package costing under $50 or so!

They already offer combo edge, so maybe a full Spyderedge would be possible? I hope so! Who's with me on this?
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
Cl1ff

Re: Fully-serrated FFG Byrd Models?

Post by Cl1ff »

Definitely with you there!
rex121 is the king of steel, but nature’s teeth have been cutting for hundreds of millions of years and counting :cool:
z1r

Post by z1r »

I like my Hawkbill a lot. In fact, I think I need another before this "Bargain" knife disappears.
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

I think a FFG serrated byrd would be just about the best SE performer of the entire Spyderco lineup.
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
bjz

Post by bjz »

Lots of requests for this! Some of us are patiently awaiting wharncliffe versions of basically all the current models. These were apparently going to be here over the summer, but like everything else still in the queue.

If you look through the wharncliffe thread, there will be teeth!!

I have two byrds with teeth and a tenacious SE. the tenacious teeth weren’t too far from the Byrd and I would agree that 8cr is a fine steel with teeth.
Cl1ff

Post by Cl1ff »

Just putting it out there that, back when I suggested a large 3.5+ inch reverse-s Byrd in another thread, I really intended to mean it would be a completely spyderedged full flat.
At least, that’s the way it is in the sketches of my “Terror Byrd” idea.
I still think that would prove to be the most aggressive cutter in the market Byrd knives currently fit in.
rex121 is the king of steel, but nature’s teeth have been cutting for hundreds of millions of years and counting :cool: