Byrd Hawkbill, Replacement Scales? Deep-Carry Clip?

Discuss Spyderco's byrd knives.
Kale

Byrd Hawkbill, Replacement Scales? Deep-Carry Clip?

Post by Kale »

I keep returning to the Byrd Hawkbill as my most practical all-around edc. So I'm looking at what I might do to upgrade...

The frn scales are great, but I'd like to upgrade (either with a different material or different color). Will scales from the Meadowlark 2 work with the Hawkbill blade? Any aftermarket manufacturers? So far my only ideas are to buy a G-10 or titanium meadowlark and swap the scales.

Any suggestions for a deep carry clip?
Kale

Re: Byrd Hawkbill, Replacement Scales? Deep-Carry Clip?

Post by Kale »

I noticed that PeaceInOurTime mentioned on another thread doing a blade swap with a Titanium Meadowlark. So that answers my question on that. I just ordered a Ti Meadowlark off Ebay... I've already got the Robin 2 in Titanium, so I can tell it's going to be a really nice upgrade for the hawkbill.

I'm still curious about a deep carry clip, or any other aftermarket scale options.
Oloung1

Post by Oloung1 »

I have a Meadowlark but haven't put an aftermarket clip on yet. I have added the generic Delica $10-12 ebay style deep carry clips on my Cara Cara 2s and Robin with ok results. I would think the C11 type clips should fit the Hawkbill too.

But the fit and finish on the generic TI c11 clips are really hit or miss, some have zero retention and require rebending of the clip, some have screw hole fitments that are snug - boarderline thread stripping snug. Also, the generics are usually shorter than oem clips, they may not align perfectly on the flats of the insignia patch.
Kale

Post by Kale »

Oloung1 wrote:
Thu Aug 19, 2021 4:55 am
I have a Meadowlark but haven't put an aftermarket clip on yet. I have added the generic Delica $10-12 ebay style deep carry clips on my Cara Cara 2s and Robin with ok results. I would think the C11 type clips should fit the Hawkbill too.

But the fit and finish on the generic TI c11 clips are really hit or miss, some have zero retention and require rebending of the clip, some have screw hole fitments that are snug - boarderline thread stripping snug. Also, the generics are usually shorter than oem clips, they may not align perfectly on the flats of the insignia patch.

Thanks, this is a big help... So I take it any clip that fits a Delica will work on the Meadowlark? What does C11 refer to? Sorry for the really basic questions!

I still need to get the right driver, but I got the Meadowlark in the mail today. It's really a beautiful design for being unobtrusive in the pocket... the scales are so thin and smooth my hand can easily slide behind it into the pocket. It's going to be pretty sweet with the hawkbill.
Oloung1

Post by Oloung1 »

I just tried installing a stock delica spoon clip on my meadowlark and the meadowlark clip screw thickness are a little larger than the stock delica clip screw, no go without enlarging the delica screw holes for meadowlark scales.

So, most delica clips should fit, you just need to bore out the clip screw holes a little on your new clips to fit your meadowlark style scales. I used a file but you can also drill out.

The C11 is just the model number for the Delica series and that is how some clips are marketed for sale.

I was going to install a generic (the blue & black) C11 clip on my meadowlark but I didn't bore out the holes (which I also needed to do on my other generic c11s to fit my robin and cara cara2) so I just laid it over on the OEM spoon clip to give you an idea how short it is. Also, added in a MXG deep long, benchmade deep long (took a while to bore the holes out) and generic c11 clip on my robin.

Also, buy good hardware like Wiha or Wera bits so that you avoid stripping soft torx bits. T6 for the clip and body screws, T8 for pivot. Also, some threadlocker would be a good idea too.
mxg, bm, generic c11 overlay on oem meadowlark spoon, c11 generic
mxg, bm, generic c11 overlay on oem meadowlark spoon, c11 generic
Josh1973

Post by Josh1973 »

Oloung1 wrote:
Sun Aug 22, 2021 12:22 pm
I just tried installing a stock delica spoon clip on my meadowlark and the meadowlark clip screw thickness are a little larger than the stock delica clip screw, no go without enlarging the delica screw holes for meadowlark scales.

So, most delica clips should fit, you just need to bore out the clip screw holes a little on your new clips to fit your meadowlark style scales. I used a file but you can also drill out.

The C11 is just the model number for the Delica series and that is how some clips are marketed for sale.

I was going to install a generic (the blue & black) C11 clip on my meadowlark but I didn't bore out the holes (which I also needed to do on my other generic c11s to fit my robin and cara cara2) so I just laid it over on the OEM spoon clip to give you an idea how short it is. Also, added in a MXG deep long, benchmade deep long (took a while to bore the holes out) and generic c11 clip on my robin.

Also, buy good hardware like Wiha or Wera bits so that you avoid stripping soft torx bits. T6 for the clip and body screws, T8 for pivot. Also, some threadlocker would be a good idea too.

DSCN1906.JPG
You know what's funny? I got a few Husky Torx bits. And they strip out from my soft Torx screws.
Kale

Post by Kale »

Oloung, thanks for all the helpful info. The swap went well, although there's a bit of play at the tip (when closed). It seems like I can't quite get the pivot screw tight enough (and I did manage to strip it... I don't imagine those are replaceable?). In any case, it's good enough to use and it looks even nicer than I had expected (apologies for the awful pic, which really doesn't do it justice).

For anyone who wants to try this... 1) Act quickly, the Titanium Meadowlark has been discontinued.

2) Be sure to switch the blade AND the lock mechanism. Perhaps this should have been obvious, but the mechanism was apparently sized specifically for the hawkbill blade shape. If you instead use the mechanism that comes with the Titanium Meadowlark, the tip of the hawkbill will hit the steel back spacer when closed (yeah, that hurt). You CAN keep the nice Meadowlark back spacer, as long as you swap everything else.
Attachments
ByrdTi.JPG
Oloung1

Post by Oloung1 »

Kale wrote:
Sat Sep 11, 2021 3:45 pm
Oloung, thanks for all the helpful info. The swap went well, although there's a bit of play at the tip (when closed). It seems like I can't quite get the pivot screw tight enough (and I did manage to strip it... I don't imagine those are replaceable?). In any case, it's good enough to use and it looks even nicer than I had expected (apologies for the awful pic, which really doesn't do it justice).

For anyone who wants to try this... 1) Act quickly, the Titanium Meadowlark has been discontinued.

2) Be sure to switch the blade AND the lock mechanism. Perhaps this should have been obvious, but the mechanism was apparently sized specifically for the hawkbill blade shape. If you instead use the mechanism that comes with the Titanium Meadowlark, the tip of the hawkbill will hit the steel back spacer when closed (yeah, that hurt). You CAN keep the nice Meadowlark back spacer, as long as you swap everything else.
Congrats on the mod Kale! A bit delayed in reply from getting back into town and dealing with BIOS issues on computer.

Not sure if this info may help, there are Delica 4 pivot screw with pivot screw shaft replacements in the aftermarket. I did some quick checking and the Delica 4 pivot screws will screw into the Meadowlark screw shaft but not vice versa. If your Hawkbill screw shaft threads are still intact, I am guessing that Delica 4 pivot screws could be a possible replacement, as long as you for sure loctite or vc3 the pivot threads. At the time, I didn't think to try to swap out the screw shaft barrel itself from Meadowlark to Delica... maybe another day when my hand nerves aren't acting up.

I do get some closed blade play on my Cara Cara 2 user but when open, no horizontal play. That knife has the most cutting time while my other Byrd knives see sporadic rotation so the others don't have any closed blade play.

Great tip on swapping blade with lockback bar.
Attachments
DSCN1909c.jpg
Kale

Post by Kale »

Oloung1 wrote:
Sat Sep 18, 2021 10:09 am
Congrats on the mod Kale! A bit delayed in reply from getting back into town and dealing with BIOS issues on computer.

Not sure if this info may help, there are Delica 4 pivot screw with pivot screw shaft replacements in the aftermarket. I did some quick checking and the Delica 4 pivot screws will screw into the Meadowlark screw shaft but not vice versa. If your Hawkbill screw shaft threads are still intact, I am guessing that Delica 4 pivot screws could be a possible replacement, as long as you for sure loctite or vc3 the pivot threads. At the time, I didn't think to try to swap out the screw shaft barrel itself from Meadowlark to Delica... maybe another day when my hand nerves aren't acting up.
Thanks, that's really helpful. I'll definitely pick up some aftermarket hardware. I was able to tighten the stripped pivot screw with a larger torx. Now it's just about perfect, other than the bent hawkbill tip (which I'm guessing is fixable). But it's really attractive, with the satin-gray contrast... also super thin in pocket, solid in hand.

I'm thinking of getting another Spyderco model that I can put titanium scales on. I think a Tasman salt could be upgraded with Flytanium's Delica scales/backspacer and aftermarket Delica screws. Down the road, there's just about limitless blade options for the Delica scales (and from what I understand, the Flytanium metal backspacers make reassembling the Delica much easier). I'm also considering the Lil' Native, which I've had my eye on.
pantagana23

Post by pantagana23 »

I've tried MXG for Delica on my G10 Robin 2, but it's maybe 0.2-0.5 mm thicker, and screws just wont bite into the thread