Hawkbill/Meadowlark byrd Colors?

Discuss Spyderco's byrd knives.
Airlsee

Hawkbill/Meadowlark byrd Colors?

Post by Airlsee »

I just got a Hawkbill byrd yesterday and I'm already thinking that I need a couple more because I think that it is such a well made utilitarian pocket knife at a very affordable price. It's sturdy and lightweight and an extremely powerful cutting tool. I would like one for the car and a bag and kitchen utility drawer etc...

Are we going to see colors in the Hawkbill? Have there been colors? Is this a new product? I don't look at all the catalogs...

Bright colors would be great, along with a couple muted colors.

Thanks for reading.

Edit to add: Some Color

So it goes.
Josh Crutchley

Re: Hawkbill/Meadowlark byrd Colors?

Post by Josh Crutchley »

Airlsee wrote:
Thu Jun 10, 2021 4:01 pm
I just got a Hawkbill byrd yesterday and I'm already thinking that I need a couple more because I think that it is such a well made utilitarian pocket knife at a very affordable price. It's sturdy and lightweight and an extremely powerful cutting tool. I would like one for the car and a bag and kitchen utility drawer etc...

Are we going to see colors in the Hawkbill? Have there been colors? Is this a new product? I don't look at all the catalogs...

Bright colors would be great, along with a couple muted colors.

Thanks for reading.

Edit to add: Some Color

That's the first Byrd I bought, it's a very underrated knife. I too would like to see some more colors in the Byrd line up.
yogibearal

Post by yogibearal »

Not sure if you could swap scales out with the regular meadowlark? They come in Blue, Brown, Grey, and G10. I think stainless/titanium too. If I had 1 I would give it a try. Most likely you would need to move the lock bar and the blade together as they are usually fitted together.

In fact I may just go buy a hawkbill to try it out. Been wanting to swap backspacers to give the knives a little more pop, and maybe build a G10 Hawkbill. :)
z1r

Post by z1r »

Love my Hawkbills! Image
Kale

Post by Kale »

I believe you can swap all of the Meadowlark scales with the hawkbill, although I only have personal experience swapping the hawkbill with the Titanium Meadowlark. The Titanium is discontinued, but still available. The hawkbill looks really slick with titanium scales -- just beautiful lines and hard to imagine they weren't designed together. Just keep in mind, the Byrd Titanium scales are quite thin, so I wouldn't recommend them for hard or extended use. But for edc they are perfect, because the smooth thin scales make it easy to slip your hand past the knife to still use your pocket with the knife clipped (at least for my average-sized man hands). If you try a swap, just be sure to swap the backspring and spacer as well.