Glued scales?

Discuss Spyderco's byrd knives.
Josh Crutchley

Glued scales?

Post by Josh Crutchley »

Is it common practice for Byrd scales to be glued to the liners? :confused: I just took my Cara Cara 2 apart and both scales are glued. I can't see how this is beneficial in anyway. I bought it new at an authorized dealer.
Oloung1

Re: Glued scales?

Post by Oloung1 »

My first CC2 from an authorized dealer didn't exactly have glue but I know what you are talking about. It was almost like a thin layer of elmers glue in some areas near the screws holes and I just thought it was dried lube. It cleaned up easy though. I don't recall taking apart my second CC2 yet.
Josh Crutchley

Post by Josh Crutchley »

Oloung1 wrote:
Sun Apr 11, 2021 3:36 pm
My first CC2 from an authorized dealer didn't exactly have glue but I know what you are talking about. It was almost like a thin layer of elmers glue in some areas near the screws holes and I just thought it was dried lube. It cleaned up easy though. I don't recall taking apart my second CC2 yet.
On mine they brushed glue on both scales prior to assembly. I would say over half the scale had glue on it. It was definitely tougher than elmers but it wasn't epoxy.
yablanowitz

Post by yablanowitz »

Joshcrutchley1 wrote:
Fri Apr 09, 2021 6:49 pm
Is it common practice for Byrd scales to be glued to the liners? :confused: I just took my Cara Cara 2 apart and both scales are glued. I can't see how this is beneficial in anyway. I bought it new at an authorized dealer.
I can see how it is beneficial in a couple of ways. It keeps parts from shifting during assembly, and it makes it less likely that parts will work loose in use.
Josh Crutchley

Post by Josh Crutchley »

yablanowitz wrote:
Tue May 25, 2021 6:14 am
Joshcrutchley1 wrote:
Fri Apr 09, 2021 6:49 pm
I can see how it is beneficial in a couple of ways. It keeps parts from shifting during assembly, and it makes it less likely that parts will work loose in use.
Yes it could be beneficial but I was wondering if it was something that Spyderco does or just Byrd. Also if it is one or the other which models are glued vs not glued?
yablanowitz

Post by yablanowitz »

I don't know, since I'm not in the habit of disassembling my knives unless they have a serious problem.
Josh Crutchley

Post by Josh Crutchley »

I decided to just take it apart and clean the glue off so I took a picture.
Attachments
20210628_221924_compress64.jpg