Byrd Raven 2 bronze washer upgrade

Discuss Spyderco's byrd knives.
Baddad

Byrd Raven 2 bronze washer upgrade

Post by Baddad »

Has anyone upgraded their Raven 2 to phosphor bronze washers? I am looking for the size of the washers and where to get them. I love my Raven but the action on my tenacious is better. Only real difference is the washers so I am looking to upgrade.
sal

Re: Byrd Raven 2 bronze washer upgrade

Post by sal »

Hi Badad,

Welcome to our forum.

Have you lubricated them?

sal
Baddad

Post by Baddad »

Hi Sal, yes I have lubricated both my Tenacious and Raven. Not to say the action on the Raven is not satisfactory, but the Tenacious has a very satisfying and pronounced metallic click, where the raven is more muted. It feels like the teflon washers are slightly more sluggish also. I know this is probably nitpicking, and if I did not change the washers I would still be very happy with the Raven. But I love tweaking and modifying stuff to make it better when I think I can. Appreciate the response, keep making awesome knives! Bruce
Bemo

Post by Bemo »

I'm so glad someone asked this. I thought about it too for my Crow and Raven. Although I have better oils now so should give that a shot first I suppose. And I've not touched the pivots at all either.
Baddad

Post by Baddad »

double tap.

sal
Baddad

Post by Baddad »

Bemo wrote:
Sat Jan 09, 2021 12:47 am
I'm so glad someone asked this. I thought about it too for my Crow and Raven. Although I have better oils now so should give that a shot first I suppose. And I've not touched the pivots at all either.
If no one is able to help I will take the Raven apart and caliper the washers and find some that are as close as possible. I believe the Tenacious has two washers per side so I will try and do that for the Raven. Then I will report back.
Baddad

Post by Baddad »

UPDATE: Bought some bronze washers made for the PM2. Four of them were just the right width to replace the teflon washers on the Raven. Got them replaced and at first did not seem to make a difference. But then the blades started loosening up making an improvement to the action on the knife. It also changed the sound a little bit. The difference between the teflon and the bronze washers is not significant, but I feel like it was enough that it was worth the effort.
Bemo

Post by Bemo »

I'm intrigued! Thanks for doing this. Can you share the source?
Baddad

Post by Baddad »

Bemo wrote:
Tue Feb 09, 2021 8:21 pm
I'm intrigued! Thanks for doing this. Can you share the source?
Found the washers on Etsy, just search Paramilitary 2 bronze washers. The Raven washers are .02” thick. The para 2 washers are .01” thick with the correct pivot size. I can look em up later and post a link if the rules allow it.
Baddad

Post by Baddad »

This is where I got them

https://imgur.com/gallery/NwOqlpA