Byrd Roadie?

Discuss Spyderco's byrd knives.
Sonorum

Byrd Roadie?

Post by Sonorum »

I like to give my friends and relatives pocket knives and I've come across a few things:

-If you're not already interested in knives, the difference between a Byrd and a Spyderco isn't always something that people notice.
-Where I live a Meadowlark is not a small knife. Most people doesn't carry a knife and if they do it's probably either a Victorinox or a Mora in a pair of work pants.
In that context a Roadie has been very appreciated by non-knife people. It is very intuitive and friendly looking. But it is rather expensive as a gift if you're not entirely sure it will be used.
-Most people that borrow my knife for a quick task can open just about any knife by grabbing the blade and open it two handed. But they can never close it, they always try to close it like a slipjoint, and can't figure out the lock. I generalize, but that's more or less what's happening.

So I propose a small Byrd slipjoint! Something everyone would understand and not be afraid of but no wallet would cry if it was lost or forgotten. The size should be between the Roadie and a normal Victorinox. I have had the Tern and it seems Byrd slipjoints are really well made.
/ David
Bart Budie

Re: Byrd Roadie?

Post by Bart Budie »

i would buy such a slipjoint.
I edc a Spyderco Urban for some time now, and would like to see a Byrd variant or a Byrd Roadie model.
carrot

Post by carrot »

The small Clipitool with either scissors or bottle opener or serrated blade is similar in price to Byrds, and I love that it actually has a pocket clip.

They're incredible gems and should not be overlooked.
araneae

Post by araneae »

Bart Budie wrote:
Thu Aug 27, 2020 7:27 am
i would buy such a slipjoint.
I edc a Spyderco Urban for some time now, and would like to see a Byrd variant or a Byrd Roadie model.
They've made the Tern for years. That's your Urban variant. They also had a Wings slippie.
So many knives, so few pockets... :)
-Nick

Last in: N5 Magnacut
The "Spirit" of the design does not come through unless used. -Sal