Re-examining 9Cr18Mo as an option

Discuss Spyderco's byrd knives.
araneae

Re-examining 9Cr18Mo as an option

Post by araneae »

Hey Sal,

People often ask for steel upgrades in the Byrd and Budget line knives. The swap to an American steel has apparently been a bit troublesome and costly. Have you looked at 9Cr18Mo recently? I recall that back when the mule was produced, there were some issues, I think maybe warping, but it seems to be used more commonly now. Civivi seems to do a very decent job with it, and it even appears in Schrade branded knives, can't vouch for those.

Of side interest, Artisan cutlery appears to have developed their own proprietary Chinese PM steel, AR-RPM9. Exact chemistry has not been revealed, which makes me skeptical. If it pans out, this could be a big step for the budget knife world.
So many knives, so few pockets... :)
-Nick

Last in: N5 Magnacut
The "Spirit" of the design does not come through unless used. -Sal
sal

Re: Re-examining 9Cr18Mo as an option

Post by sal »

Hi Nick,

I'll check current status of 9Cr with our makers.

sal
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

Isn't 9cr just another name for 440c? Or am I misremembering that?
vivi

Post by vivi »

TomAiello wrote:
Thu Aug 20, 2020 11:40 am
I believe the chemistry is different on these two steels.

http://zknives.com/knives/steels/9cr18mo.shtml

http://zknives.com/knives/steels/steelgraph.php?nm=440C

They are very similar either way.
:unicorn
araneae

Post by araneae »

TomAiello wrote:
Thu Aug 20, 2020 11:40 am
It's similar, but not the same.
-Nick

Jurphaas

Post by Jurphaas »

Many, many years ago, when Spyderco was introducing their More affordable Byrd line made in China. 9Cr18Mo was indeed a chinese steel Sal was testing. For this testing just a few Catbyrd mules were made with this steel. These were the early ones with the linerlock and the 50/50 forward finger choil. Later the production models were fitted with a frame lock.The ying and yang anti slip inlay pieces were grey instead of black. I have one and I am still very impressed by the quality of Spyderco's Chinese production at that time. Although I have the knife, I am unble to put a picture up here. Still Amazing what Sal/Spyderco and crew were able to come up with in those early Byrd years. I do not know what stopped Sal from producing the BY18 Catbyrd with this 9Cr18Mo.
araneae

Post by araneae »

Jurphaas wrote:
Thu Aug 27, 2020 5:47 am
Many, many years ago, when Spyderco was introducing their More affordable Byrd line made in China. 9Cr18Mo was indeed a chinese steel Sal was testing. For this testing just a few Catbyrd mules were made with this steel. These were the early ones with the linerlock and the 50/50 forward finger choil. Later the production models were fitted with a frame lock.The ying and yang anti slip inlay pieces were grey instead of black. I have one and I am still very impressed by the quality of Spyderco's Chinese production at that time. Although I have the knife, I am unble to put a picture up here. Still Amazing what Sal/Spyderco and crew were able to come up with in those early Byrd years. I do not know what stopped Sal from producing the BY18 Catbyrd with this 9Cr18Mo.
I had forgot about those, wasn't that the Titanium version? I think a sprint run.
-Nick

Jurphaas

Post by Jurphaas »

Hi araneae, Yes you are right it is one of the titanium models. I checked with a magnet and even the Pocketclip is Ti.
This is a very early example from the very first attempts of Spyderco to have production of more affordable (Instead of Cheap!) knives produced in China. This was before the Byrd line became a reality. The Byrd knives had a slow and difficult start due to the fact that they were produced in China. In America people at that time were very reluctant about China and Chinese made products. However, the visionary in Sal knew that a value line of Spyderco knives could never be produced in Golden at any time. It took a while to find the correct partner in China who was not all about producing huge volumes. The people Sal found were running a small company and were eager to learn from Spyderco and to grow at a steady pace. Long ago Sal told me that he was doing chalk drawings on the factory floors to explain the technical specifics of Spyderco knives. The early journeys to China that the Glessers did, must have been really adventurous.... Just to explain my relationship with Sal, I am the organizer of the yearly Amsterdam Spyderco Fan meet in March before the Spyderco crew moves on to the IWA tradeshow in Germany.
Michael Janich

Post by Michael Janich »

Hey, Jurphaas:

It's great to see you sharing your knowledge here! Your historical perspective on Spyderco knives and their evolution is truly incredible. I miss you, brother!!!

Stay safe,

Mike
GarageBoy

Post by GarageBoy »

Would the sandvik steels be an option?
sal

Post by sal »

Hi GarageBoy,

We use Sandvik steel on some of the China made Models. Mostly on the very small Slip-joints, "Bug", etc.

sal
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

14c28n would be a great budget steel, if it's in the same price range. The Kershaw Leek in 14c28n is one of the best values in folding knives on the market today.
Bemo

Post by Bemo »

I'd love some 14c28n in the Byrd line. Bet it is great done SE.
defenestrate

Post by defenestrate »

I'm happy enuogh with the Sandvik 12c27 on a couple of my moras. 14c28n would be even better.

I got a couple of the 9Cr18Mo Mule 5s, and while I seem to recall hearing about some warping issues (this was a bit more than a decade ago and the only Mule I could afford at the time), I never noticed it on mine and I thought they were good blades and a crazy good deal.

I'd be happy to get into either of these, especially if the steel premium didn't hike the price too much. I'm generally happy with my 8Cr13MoV byrds and regularly EDC them (right now I carry a waved CaraCara2 to match up with my waed Matriarch 2 still and they're both fine blades).

I haven't seen a good side-by-side comparison of 14c28n and 9cr18mov. Looks like the former has a bit less carbon, but can take a bit higher rc, I'd also guess that on average it is ilkely to be a cleaner steel.
GarageBoy

Post by GarageBoy »

But not many companies take the Sandviks up that high on the hardness
Does 9CR have better wear resistance?
vivi

Post by vivi »

The sandvik steels mentioned have better corrosion resistance in my experience, but 8Cr as heat treated by Spyderco has surprisingly good edge retention.
:unicorn
Daven82

Post by Daven82 »

I like knives with the finger choil. Thought very similar the meadowlark is a different animal compared to the delica. Kara kara vs Endura
DN
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Daven,

Welcome to our forum.

sal
Bemo

Post by Bemo »

Hate to drag up an old thread (*cough* no not really) I just watched a video from Outpost76 testing a couple examples and heat treated properly it seems like a very good steel. Better than any of the imported D2 and rivaling M390 tests. Granted it's cardboard but it looks very promising. I would love to see what Spyderco could do in either the Byrd or the value line.
araneae

Post by araneae »

Artisan's AR-RPM9 appears to be a PM version of 9Cr18MoV.

Per knife newsroom: The composition of AR-RPM9 is: 0.9% Carbon, 18% Chromium, 1.0% Molybdenum, 0.45% Manganese, 0.1% Vanadium, 0.30% Cobalt, 0.2-0.8% Silicon, less than 0.40% Nickle, and less than 0.05% Rare Earth.
-Nick