Robin 2 poking my eyes

Discuss Spyderco's byrd knives.
pantagana23

Robin 2 poking my eyes

Post by pantagana23 »

So my latest acquiring was the Sharpmaker and I added a G10 Robin 2 as a bonus.

At first glance, some minor unfinished details like leftovers in G10 drilled holes and sharp backlock uneven Boye detent, nothing that can't be fixed or lived with

I then noticed that the right liner has some pitting next to the lock, like there were impurities on non-homogenous part of the steel, and when it got pressed for a shape, it just left a hole there.

Please look and tell me whether I should worry about rust.

Sending it back is not an option.

I'm thinking of taking it apart and sanding this part, though I'm not sure how deep this pitting goes, and where the homogenous part of steel starts.

carrot

Re: Robin 2 poking my eyes

Post by carrot »

Unfortunately this is standard fare for this maker.

I am a sweaty beast and I have never seen rust on any of my Byrds except the blades. I do not think you will have trouble. I am probably not as bad at corrosion as someone like Vivi or surfinggringo, though.
Sonorum

Post by Sonorum »

I'd take it apart and sand it down just because of the aesthetics. I doubt that you'd have corrosion issues because of it and if it rusts, it's in a spot where you'll see it clearly.

I've done some cosmetic work in my g10 byrd and it's quite easy.
/ David
pantagana23

Post by pantagana23 »

I took the knife apart and cleaned it.
Some observations:
Liners seem from different material, or I don't know how to explain that one is shiny and clean, and the other one is already rusty on arrival (this is the right liner, with the pitting)

See pic:

Also, one of the washers has a part of it cut out (forgot to take pic of this).

I know this is a budget knife, but come on guys, a cut off washer, really?
defenestrate

Post by defenestrate »

Both my Robin and Cara Cara G10s really impressed me with their quality. They felt solid and looked good. I didn't take them apart to check the liners, though, and I think I may have given both to friends.
araneae

Post by araneae »

pantagana23 wrote:
Wed Aug 05, 2020 10:13 am
I took the knife apart and cleaned it.
Some observations:
Liners seem from different material, or I don't know how to explain that one is shiny and clean, and the other one is already rusty on arrival (this is the right liner, with the pitting)

See pic:

Also, one of the washers has a part of it cut out (forgot to take pic of this).

I know this is a budget knife, but come on guys, a cut off washer, really?
I think you are showing us the inside of 1 liner and the outside of the other. I would guess the inside portion is finished while the part that isn't visible on the assembled knife is not finished to save costs. Maybe I'm wrong. Also would be interested to see what you mean regarding the washer.
So many knives, so few pockets... :)
-Nick

Last in: N5 Magnacut
The "Spirit" of the design does not come through unless used. -Sal
pantagana23

Post by pantagana23 »

araneae wrote:
Thu Aug 20, 2020 7:43 am
I think you are showing us the inside of 1 liner and the outside of the other. I would guess the inside portion is finished while the part that isn't visible on the assembled knife is not finished to save costs. Maybe I'm wrong. Also would be interested to see what you mean regarding the washer.
One liner (the one with notches is clean and looks even polished, the other is already rusty from both sides (what you see in the pic looks the same from the other side).

As for the washers, one is normal, the other has a circular cutout from outer side. Cutout goes close to inner hole
vivi

Post by vivi »

carrot wrote:
Wed Jul 22, 2020 4:34 pm
Unfortunately this is standard fare for this maker.

I am a sweaty beast and I have never seen rust on any of my Byrds except the blades. I do not think you will have trouble. I am probably not as bad at corrosion as someone like Vivi or surfinggringo, though.
hahaha.

it isn't just knives and pocket multitools. Here's my playstation controller that only gets used in an air conditioned house. Look at the white caking on the steel screws:

I need to be studied by a lab :rolleyes:

FWIW I find 8Cr a step below S30V / VG10 in this respect. Rusted a Cara Cara 2 by........letting it sit in my glove box. That's all. It wasn't bad, but it did have some spotting I had to sand off before I gave it to someone in need of a good pocket knife.

I haven't found the Byrds fit and finish to be on par with Spydercos other makers, but its never been so bad I considered sending a knife back. I think they're a good value but I've moved away from chinese products the past few years. I find 8Cr heat treated as Spyderco expects to perform well in every other area for the price point.
:unicorn
pantagana23

Post by pantagana23 »

Well, I've been carrying it for the past 2 weeks exclusively, and I must say - I like it!

Bigger hole and different handle shape than Dragonfly make it fit my hand better, and opening is as easy as Salt 1.

Handle shape is even better than Urban.

Man I wish byrd was and upscale version of Spyderco, not downscale now :D

Well, time to go shopping again, that GITD Delica is almost gone.