sal

Re: Byrd Wharncliffe

Post by sal »

I'll check.

sal
Bemo

Post by Bemo »

Really looking forward to these. Odds are I'll get all of them.
sal

Post by sal »

Coming in this summer.

sal
Sonorum

Post by Sonorum »

Great news!
/ David
z1r

Post by z1r »

Sweet!
bjz

Post by bjz »

sal wrote:
Wed May 19, 2021 10:18 pm
Coming in this summer.

sal
This is great news (especially since I just lost a brand new DF2 on the river last night)!!

Thanks so much for being as involved as you are!
Ngati Pom

Post by Ngati Pom »

:D
'The future is already here;it's just not evenly distributed'
William Gibson
bjz

Post by bjz »

I’ve been fighting off the urge to pick up a rockjumper for a few months in order to keep some budget available for a few of the upcoming Byrd wharncliffes.

I’m wondering if we can get some more details on what these will look like? Standard Byrd blade stock thickness or different? Are the SE versions expected to have a profile similar to the Byrd hawkbill or toothier? Are we looking at frn scales only or will there be g10 as well? Just black for now or something different?

It would be pretty exciting to be able to pick up harrier wharncliffes in both frn and g10 without having to purchase extra knives for handle swaps.

Thanks in advance for any tidbits to be offered…for planning purposes!
Kale

Post by Kale »

Are these still expected to be released soon?
Bemo

Post by Bemo »

So glad this was bumped up.
bjz

Post by bjz »

Are these still in the works?? I hope so!
skeeg11

Post by skeeg11 »

sal wrote:
Tue Aug 04, 2020 5:59 pm
Hi Sonorum,

The byrds are flat ground and if we make a Wharnie, I'd like to add a fully serrated version. I think that serrated Wharnie's work very effectively with teeth.

sal
Fully serrated and flat ground would be nice as my Hawkbill and Rescue Cara 2 are not. Definitely trying times, but I am looking forward to when they arrive.
bjz

Post by bjz »

I am very patiently awaiting these! I suspect that a wharncliffe harrier (or few) would have prevented a lot of “meh” purchases from the main spyderco line this year for me!
Araignee

Post by Araignee »

Okay, I keep reading about the Rockjumper, which didn't interest me at first, but now I want to try the Wharncliffe blade to check what the rave is about.

And what better for this than a Byrd ? Cheaper than a Spyderco proper, but even bigger bang for the bucks.

The Robin 2 is a favourite of mine, so I can totally see myself buy Robin Wharncliffe in SE and perhaps PE as well :hugging-face
PeaceInOurTime

Post by PeaceInOurTime »

Araignee wrote:
Tue Dec 28, 2021 12:55 pm
Okay, I keep reading about the Rockjumper, which didn't interest me at first, but now I want to try the Wharncliffe blade to check what the rave is about.

And what better for this than a Byrd ? Cheaper than a Spyderco proper, but even bigger bang for the bucks.

The Robin 2 is a favourite of mine, so I can totally see myself buy Robin Wharncliffe in SE and perhaps PE as well :hugging-face
The wharncliffe is my favorite blade shape for an edc. I wish more models had wharncliffe options. Glad the Byrds are getting the wharny treatment. 🙂

Might have to get a wharncliffe Meadowlark for a handle swap with my titanium! 😁
z1r

Post by z1r »

A wharnie Meadowlark or Harrier would be a hit for sure.
bjz

Post by bjz »

z1r wrote:
Tue Jan 04, 2022 12:19 pm
I’m looking forward to an SE wharnie harrier more than magnacut!
z1r

Post by z1r »

bjz wrote:
Wed Jan 05, 2022 11:42 am
z1r wrote:
Tue Jan 04, 2022 12:19 pm
I’m looking forward to an SE wharnie harrier more than magnacut!
Yeah, at least I could afford a wharnie Harrier. I bought way too many knives last year. But I'd definitely spring for a wharnie Harrier! And to think my first Spyderco was a Harrier and, at the time, I thought it was too big! Over the course of the year I started gravitating toward larger knives until I settled upon a K390 Endela as my EDC. I gave away Harriers as gifts this year. The steel if perfect for non-knife people and the knife is much better than others at that price point. I still carry that Harrier with me when I hike.
bjz

Post by bjz »

I’ve had a small handful of Byrd frn knives and they can be a little wonky, so when I ordered my frn harrier 2 I ordered two just in case. I kept both because they are both as nice as any Seki backlock I have. One stays in the lunchroom at work and the other is my main hiking knife during mushroom seasons.

Depending on what the pricing looks like when (if?) these arrive, I’ll probably grab an frn harrier in SE and G-10, harrier in PE. And that will prob be it for me this year as last was a big one for me 😳
bjz

Post by bjz »

bjz wrote:
Wed Jan 05, 2022 7:27 pm
… I’ll probably grab an frn harrier in SE and G-10, harrier in PE. And that will prob be it for me this year as last was a big one for me 😳
I’ll probably have to eat crow on this one! I’ve already realized that I forgot about the new Ayoob.