Byrd Wharncliffe

Discuss Spyderco's byrd knives.
Sonorum

Byrd Wharncliffe

Post by Sonorum »

With all the wharncliffe variants we have in the Spyderco lineup, wouldn't it be feasible to have some in the Byrd line as well? I really like wharncliffes as work knives but sometimes you don't want to do dirty work with an expensive knife. I know we have the sheepsfoot rescue models but I feel like the behaviour of a wharncliffe is different to a sheepsfoot.

Just a thought! If they sell well as spydercos maybe the could sell well as byrds too.
/ David
sal

Re: Byrd Wharncliffe

Post by sal »

Hi Sonorum,

I'll pitch your request. byrds are getting more popular of late.

What models in what priority? Plain / serrated? I'm assuming lite wts. As a user of byrd models, what do you think would serve you best?

sal
Sonorum

Post by Sonorum »

sal wrote:
Mon Jul 06, 2020 8:43 pm
Hi Sonorum,

I'll pitch your request. byrds are getting more popular of late.

What models in what priority? Plain / serrated? I'm assuming lite wts. As a user of byrd models, what do you think would serve you best?

sal
Hi Sal!

As always, good to hear from the great man himself!

Well, I use a Byrd Hawkbill and a SE Delica wharncliffe at work and at home I always have a Dragonfly wharncliffe in my back pocket to complement whatever else I'm carrying. HI haven't had the opportunity to try any larger wharncliffes so I can't say much about those but I'm sure other people can pitch in on that. I'll have to try the Rock jumper soon.
A Meadowlark would be my first pick. I really like serrations and especially the shallower serrations of the Hawkbill so I certainly would be interested in a serrated option. Combo edge wouldn't be for me. Yes preferably lightweight versions!

As a side note, how come there are so few fully SE Byrds? Are combo edges more attractive to users in this price range somehow? I feel like it puts a "cheap" vibe rather than a "value" vibe to the Byrds which is very far from the truth. That's highly subjective of course!

Regards,
David from Sweden
/ David
Ngati Pom

Post by Ngati Pom »

I would like to second this.
A byrd wharncliffe would be a must buy for me both PE and SE.
I have the Meadowlark and Cara Cara in leaf and Rescue forms and tend to carry the serrated edges more. For me a Serrated Meadowlark or Harrier would be perfect size wise and if it could be done on a FFG would be even better... :)
Like the OP I’m not a fan of CE. Although if the serrations were at the distal part of the blade with a plain section closest to the handle (Similar to Victorinox) with a two third SE one third PE split I think it would be useful.
Sorry Sonorum, not trying to derail your post.
'The future is already here;it's just not evenly distributed'
William Gibson
sal

Post by sal »

Sounds good to me.

sal
carrot

Post by carrot »

It'd be nice to test a single run of Rescue Cara Cara with SE at the tip and PE towards the handle. That'd finally give us afi a chance to try out a reverse CE like we've been aching for. (I really like the Rescue Cara SE, highly underrated.)

I think the "wharncliffe leaf" of the D4/E4 series is nice but maybe we can try a more angular, less rounded taper for the Byrds, more similar to the Rescue with the eye bulge and straight taper, but with more point at the end. I'm almost thinking reverse tanto for the change of pace. I'd be most keen to see the Harrier LW with it first, before reaching into Meadowlark and Cara Cara. That would give the Harrier LW more opportunity to shine, since it's newest, plus utilizing the improved FRN scales. SE and PE variants are a must.
Sonorum

Post by Sonorum »

Oh yes, obviously the Harrier would be a great option as well. The Endela is a favourite and both seems to be great sizes. I will probably get a Rockjumper to be able to get a wharncliffe in that size!

Regarding blade shape, personally I want it to be functional first of all, good looking secondly. With that being said I wouldn't be adverse to a Byrd wharncliffe having a different shape to a Spyderco, such as a reverse tanto. It could be a distinguishing feature in much the same vane as the different opening holes which could be cool. Maybe like the Canis? But not with the weird grind of course.

If 8cr13mov or cts bd1 could manage a full flat grind it would be great!
/ David
Ngati Pom

Post by Ngati Pom »

It would be nice to see a reverse tanto Wharncliffe, do you see it as similar to the Kahr arms Delica?
I don’t know whether you have seen it but there is a photoshopped Meadowlark Wharncliffe in the ‘What would you like to see next from Byrd?‘
It’s on page 3.
William Gibson
Sonorum

Post by Sonorum »

Ngati Pom wrote:
Mon Jul 13, 2020 1:29 am
It would be nice to see a reverse tanto Wharncliffe, do you see it as similar to the Kahr arms Delica?
I don’t know whether you have seen it but there is a photoshopped Meadowlark Wharncliffe in the ‘What would you like to see next from Byrd?‘
It’s on page 3.
That looks exactly like what I would like! If I ever get a bit of spare time (I have a 3 week old child) I'd want to photoshop a Harrier 2 with a similar blade.

For the record, I don't care a lot about whether it looks like a Delica wharncliffe or anything else... I just want a wharncliffe that I can abuse without feeling too guilty. Can't really afford to destroy Delicas regularly :p
/ David
Sonorum

Post by Sonorum »

I had to quote this in here because it is a really good picture.
Uke wrote:
Fri Sep 07, 2018 10:51 pm
Uke wrote:
Fri Sep 07, 2018 1:09 pm
My vote would be for a wharncliffe Meadowlark 2.

With khaki FRN just like the Kahr Arms Delica...my dream Byrd.
Decided to photoshop this one up...

/ David
Ngati Pom

Post by Ngati Pom »

For the record, I don't care a lot about whether it looks like a Delica wharncliffe or anything else... I just want a wharncliffe that I can abuse without feeling too guilty. Can't really afford to destroy Delicas regularly :p

This is my way of justifying it too. :)
An affordable, do everything workhorse with :spyder: DNA. (Plus the choil) :D
William Gibson
Enactive

Post by Enactive »

Sonorum wrote:
Mon Jul 13, 2020 7:17 am
I had to quote this in here because it is a really good picture.
Uke wrote:
Fri Sep 07, 2018 10:51 pm
Uke wrote:
Fri Sep 07, 2018 1:09 pm
My vote would be for a wharncliffe Meadowlark 2.

With khaki FRN just like the Kahr Arms Delica...my dream Byrd.
Decided to photoshop this one up...

That looks excellent! Would definitely buy. FFG SE and PE would rock.
Sonorum

Post by Sonorum »

I've done some thinking regarding Sals question about which knife I would want to see in a wharncliffe version. Now that I've reflected a bit I think the Harrier 2 lightweight would be great.

It feels like the road forward with it's new frn molds. Upon reflection I also noticed that I use the Delica wharncliffe because that is sort of the size that exists, I much more prefer the Endela size.

...but I would buy ANY Byrd wharncliffe you guys would make. Please just make it serrated and full flat ground.

picture borrowed from knife works
/ David
sal

Post by sal »

I'm working on 3.

sal
Sonorum

Post by Sonorum »

sal wrote:
Fri Jul 31, 2020 2:22 pm
I'm working on 3.

sal
Well :D I'll just have to check out three then!

Sometimes being in the Spyderco forums can make you feel like a spoiled child pointing at something you want. But it is absolutely amazing that one can influence the production of something that I absolutely can not make myself.
/ David
skeeg11

Post by skeeg11 »

sal wrote:
Fri Jul 31, 2020 2:22 pm
I'm working on 3.

sal

Hi Sal---

That's fantastic news. Any hint as to what sizes and will they all be available in fully serrated edge?
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Skeeg,

The "3" is now "4".

Robin, Meadowlark, Harrier 2 and Cara Cara. All will include teeth.

sal
Sonorum

Post by Sonorum »

sal wrote:
Tue Aug 04, 2020 11:35 am
Hi Skeeg,

The "3" is now "4".

sal
That's so cool! I'll continue on the "any hints" thread with a question: Is a full flat ground blade feasible with 8cr13mov?
/ David
skeeg11

Post by skeeg11 »

sal wrote:
Tue Aug 04, 2020 11:35 am
Hi Skeeg,

The "3" is now "4".

sal
Fantastico!!! All kinds of excited. May have to get a complete set. G-10 or FRN?
Last edited by skeeg11 on Wed Aug 05, 2020 1:04 am, edited 2 times in total.
Steeltoez83

Post by Steeltoez83 »

I'm so on board for the cara Cara. Been itching for a fully serrated model and this will fit the bill nicely.
"Nothing is built on stone; all is built on sand, but we must build as if the sand were stone."