Byrd Wharncliffe

Discuss Spyderco's byrd knives.
Bemo

Re: Byrd Wharncliffe

Post by Bemo »

Wow those are bold statements! Can't say that I can disagree though.
olywa

Post by olywa »

Sal has indicated that the Harrier 2 scale mods are not likely to be carried over to the other Byrd series. That's a shame, but understandable. How about at least offering a hawkbill variation on the Harrier 2? Seems like it would be a relatively do-able thing.
skeeg11

Post by skeeg11 »

olywa wrote:
Sun Mar 19, 2023 10:47 am
How about at least offering a hawkbill variation on the Harrier 2? Seems like it would be a relatively do-able thing.
Excellent and possibly brilliant strategic suggestion. Seems Sal has been reluctant to bring back a larger folding serrated Hawkbill in the Spyderco lineup like a SuperHawk or SpyderHawk and I'm sure he has his reasons. Such a knife in the budget Byrd lineup however, might cause quite a stir. At that price point how can it fail to be a hit amongst the gardening crowd. Traffic on the Byrd Forum is slow primarily because of the limited number of models, but this would boost the activity. Can't help but think that a significant number of regular Spyderco Forum members would be crossing over and paying attention to participate in the buzz. :crossed-fingers
Sonorum

Post by Sonorum »

skeeg11 wrote:
Sat Mar 18, 2023 2:47 pm
Bemo wrote:
Sat Mar 18, 2023 2:37 pm
I while I totally agree about the Harrier 2 FRN being the best of the line up; for fun I dug out my Robin 2 SE to break some cardboard down and again was impressed with that combo of the thin flat grind Wharnie blade, the heat treat of the steel, and those great serrations. If Spyderco were to chamfer the Byrd line frn the same as it is on the Harrier 2, it might actually compete with the Seki line.
Discounting corrosion resistance of the Seki Salts and price advantage of the Byrds, IMHO the serrated Byrd Wharnies are superior to the serrated Seki Wharnies. Bold statement to be sure, but I honestly believe that for the most part. One thing for sure is that lockup on the Byrds is much more secure than on the Seki's. Not a hint of lock rock on any of my Byrds.
When it comes to passing through material the Byrds are ahead, absolutely.
/ David
ChrisinHove

Post by ChrisinHove »

I would definitely buy a large Byrd HB!