Byrd for first timer?

Discuss Spyderco's byrd knives.
79bolo

Byrd for first timer?

Post by 79bolo »

Hey Byrd owners!
Quick question,what byrd model is "flickable" and smaller than pm2? Is for my 11 years old.I was thinking about some spyderco for him but I really don't know how serious he is about it than cheaper option is Byrd.Ty
araneae

Re: Byrd for first timer?

Post by araneae »

79bolo wrote:
Fri Feb 28, 2020 5:49 am
Hey Byrd owners!
Quick question,what byrd model is "flickable" and smaller than pm2? Is for my 11 years old.I was thinking about some spyderco for him but I really don't know how serious he is about it than cheaper option is Byrd.Ty
Flickability is the primary concern for a knife for an 11 year old?
So many knives, so few pockets... :)
-Nick

Last in: N5 Magnacut
The "Spirit" of the design does not come through unless used. -Sal
79bolo

Post by 79bolo »

araneae wrote:
Sat Feb 29, 2020 11:17 am
[Flickability is the primary concern for a knife for an 11 year old?
He get his first knife at age of 7 .He still have all 10 fingers:) You need to admit flicking is a coolest way to deploy blade ,my son love sound my pm2 makes ,his 12 birthday is coming up and it is definitely a option for present.
Do you thinking is to early for knife like "Chicago"?
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

I'm not trying to question your parenting, but don't you think showing an 11 year old how to properly use and handle a knife in various situations safely would be more important? Flicking knives certainly isn't safe, especially in small hands of a child. You'll find most people around here really aren't into flicking knives anyways. Most like them as tools, or collectables...not a dangerous fidget spinner type of thing.
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
andrewu750

Post by andrewu750 »

I have a cara cara 2. It’s a large knife and in no way flickable. But I love it and carry it everyday at work in a very nasty environment and it holds up well and is super easy to sharpen.
araneae

Post by araneae »

79bolo wrote:
Sat Feb 29, 2020 7:59 pm
araneae wrote:
Sat Feb 29, 2020 11:17 am
[Flickability is the primary concern for a knife for an 11 year old?
He get his first knife at age of 7 .He still have all 10 fingers:) You need to admit flicking is a coolest way to deploy blade ,my son love sound my pm2 makes ,his 12 birthday is coming up and it is definitely a option for present.
Do you thinking is to early for knife like "Chicago"?
I have to disagree, flicking, in my opinion isn't necessary and I don't particularly care about being cool when opening a knife. That said, a Byrd Crow would be a very nice knife for a responsible 12 year old. The Chicago is a nice little knife, but for the money I would go with the Crow.
-Nick

RustyIron

Post by RustyIron »

Let's not pretend to be all proper and stuffy. Flicking knives is cool. It's way cool. Everybody knows it. But only in the privacy of your own home. Flicking knives in public is a totally ghetto move akin to whipping out your gun at a dinner party.

This could be a good opportunity to teach the kid what is cool in private and what is inappropriate in public.

Another gift for the kid would be a couple mid-grade stones, so he can learn that possessing a knife is more than just flailing it around like some kind of Hollywood movie star.
79bolo

Post by 79bolo »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Sat Feb 29, 2020 8:48 pm
I'm not trying to question your parenting, but don't you think showing an 11 year old how to properly use and handle a knife in various situations safely would be more important? Flicking knives certainly isn't safe, especially in small hands of a child. You'll find most people around here really aren't into flicking knives anyways. Most like them as tools, or collectables...not a dangerous fidget spinner type of thing.
Like I mentioned he had his first knife at age of 7 and he is in boy scouts then is what?4 years experience in that matter.I don't want get him Microtech Troodon or other beast I wan to get him something under 3" which is little bit more exiting than this what he owes now.
79bolo

Post by 79bolo »

araneae wrote:
Sun Mar 01, 2020 8:01 pm

I have to disagree, flicking, in my opinion isn't necessary and I don't particularly care about being cool when opening a knife. That said, a Byrd Crow would be a very nice knife for a responsible 12 year old. The Chicago is a nice little knife, but for the money I would go with the Crow.
Definitely not necessary and it is totally ok you don't care about it:) I really like Crow option.How big downgrade in quality it is compared to Spyderco?
79bolo

Post by 79bolo »

andrewu750 wrote:
Sun Mar 01, 2020 3:45 am
I have a cara cara 2. It’s a large knife and in no way flickable. But I love it and carry it everyday at work in a very nasty environment and it holds up well and is super easy to sharpen.
Yeah not what I am looking for,but what about quality of it?From what I research price wise they pretty good.
79bolo

Post by 79bolo »

RustyIron wrote:
Sun Mar 01, 2020 8:35 pm
Let's not pretend to be all proper and stuffy. Flicking knives is cool. It's way cool. Everybody knows it. But only in the privacy of your own home. Flicking knives in public is a totally ghetto move akin to whipping out your gun at a dinner party.

This could be a good opportunity to teach the kid what is cool in private and what is inappropriate in public.

Another gift for the kid would be a couple mid-grade stones, so he can learn that possessing a knife is more than just flailing it around like some kind of Hollywood movie star.
100% agreement 🤝 on all parts!We spent over an hour trying to restore cutting edge his Sharp 300 which he inherit after his grandpa.Looks like kid is in "it"not just for "flick" hahaha
araneae

Post by araneae »

79bolo wrote:
Mon Mar 02, 2020 5:46 pm
araneae wrote:
Sun Mar 01, 2020 8:01 pm

Definitely not necessary and it is totally ok you don't care about it:) I really like Crow option.How big downgrade in quality it is compared to Spyderco?
I think it's nicer than a Tenacious line knife.
-Nick

andrewu750

Post by andrewu750 »

I would highly recommend a Byrd. They r great knives regardless of price. The price just makes the deal even sweeter
79bolo

Post by 79bolo »

andrewu750 wrote:
Tue Mar 03, 2020 3:38 pm
I would highly recommend a Byrd. They r great knives regardless of price. The price just makes the deal even sweeter
Thanks.It looks like you can't go wrong with them!
79bolo

Post by 79bolo »

araneae wrote:
I think it's nicer than a Tenacious line knife.
Thanks!I was thinking about Spyderco Persistence which is even cheaper than Crow2.It's going to be hard choice.I still have 3 months.Ty one more time.