Byrd neck knife? ”Byrd Swick”?

Discuss Spyderco's byrd knives.
carrot

Byrd neck knife? ”Byrd Swick”?

Post by carrot »

I was just carrying my Swick and Spot lately and I thought how great it would be if they were more affordable and more available.

The Swick is probably my favorite neck knife for utility ever and I think a Byrd version in 8Cr or 440C would be top notch.
sal

Re: Byrd neck knife? ”Byrd Swick”?

Post by sal »

Hi Carrot,

Interesting suggestion, but nothing for the immediate future. We'll be making production "Swicks" in LC 200 with neck, belt or pocket carry. Depending on the success of the concept/model, we'l consider others possibilities.

sal
carrot

Post by carrot »

Thanks for the reply Sal.

Truth be told I almost never carry a knife around my neck anymore. It's hard to conceal and hard to reach and I don't like the way it swings around if it's over a shirt. If I carry a fixed blade it's going to be on my belt.

I just like the term "neck knife" over "belt knife" because it kind-of signifies a certain kind of knife, one that lays flat and lightweight.

An LC200N Swick sounds right up my alley. It's no Byrd so the price point likely would make it tough to buy a handful to gift but it would be great for a sweaty person like me to carry. I'll probably need two, given how infrequently the Swick is revisited. I'd like to see if I could get my SO to carry one.

But after seeing the street price for the Bow River, I'm convinced that the Byrd line can hit a value price point that can get the Swick design into more hands. I think to further differentiate it, perhaps it could have a three-finger grip instead of a four-finger grip. That would also have the side effect of making it a little easier to conceal.

While I have your attention I'd also like to express my love for the Introvert. You guys and Chris Knutson really knocked it out of the park. I love that the finger holes of the Introvert and Swick mean I don't have to put down the knife to handle things.
rwasham

Post by rwasham »

sal wrote:
Wed Aug 21, 2019 6:24 am
Hi Carrot,

Interesting suggestion, but nothing for the immediate future. We'll be making production "Swicks" in LC 200 with neck, belt or pocket carry. Depending on the success of the concept/model, we'l consider others possibilities.

sal
Very excited for a LC 200 swick!
zuludelta

Post by zuludelta »

sal wrote: We'll be making production "Swicks" in LC 200 with neck, belt or pocket carry.
Best knife news I've read in a while. Can't wait to get my hands on one!
defenestrate

Post by defenestrate »

Awesome, I love the swick. Carrying an Introvert lately because I love the general design and the folder is inconspicuous at work to carry.
defenestrate

Post by defenestrate »

In case people dig the Swick and didn't know, there are two versions of the LC200 Swick 5 available for preorder at various places. i understand the difference between the variants is the size of the hole. I figured the larger one would leave room for gloves, so I'm getting one each in PE and SE. Excited about this one.
silvershade255

Post by silvershade255 »

Definitely looking forward to the swick as well. But something about the idea a byrd version could be called the swan (because you know, long neck...neck knife...right?) is humorous to me
"Seven for One"
rwasham

Post by rwasham »

Will definitely be going in for the LC200 Swick but I would love to see some more value Priced fixed blades. I bought several bow rivers when they first came out
defenestrate

Post by defenestrate »

I've had preorders in for the Swick 5 now. I'd buy this as well but really looking forward to these coming out.