Cara Cara 2 very stiff.

Discuss Spyderco's byrd knives.
Grjfer

Cara Cara 2 very stiff.

Post by Grjfer »

Just got a new Cara Cara 2 FRN, and it is very stiff opening. I have flushed out the pivot with 70/30 isopropyl alcohol, then blew it out with compressed air, and oiled it. I have lossened the pivot screw to the point it has a lot end play in the blade. I have also found the lock to be very tight.

Wondering if it is worth sending it back for warranty, or just use it in hopes it will break in?

For what it's worth I got a Meadowlark in G-10 at the same time and it is a night and day difference.
bgcameron

Re: Cara Cara 2 very stiff.

Post by bgcameron »

I wonder if the lock spring is too tight? How is the stiffness when you depress the lock while opening it?
Grjfer

Post by Grjfer »

It's virtually impossible for me to depress the the lock and open the knife at the same time. When I can gey positioned in a way that I can open it anf hold the lock, it opens pretty well. May be I'm just expecting to much based off my Endura's and Delia's.
bgcameron

Post by bgcameron »

Hmm, maybe it just needs some breaking in. It sounds like the stiffness is from the lock bar.
anagarika

Post by anagarika »

Check if the lockbar pivot is too tight or the lockbar has burr that rubs the liner.
Chris :spyder:
Grjfer

Post by Grjfer »

I have adjusted the lock bar pivot screw. I'll check for a burr.
Grjfer

Post by Grjfer »

Well I decided to break it down, I gave it a good cleaning and minor polish. I figured no more than it cost I really wouldn't be out much one way or the other. Much improved now, as it was pretty gummed up.
anagarika

Post by anagarika »

Glad you got it resolved. Very nice design and you’ll enjoy it!
Chris :spyder: