Cara Cara 2 sized hawkbill?

Discuss Spyderco's byrd knives.
Sonorum

Cara Cara 2 sized hawkbill?

Post by Sonorum »

I really like my Hawkbill but it would be fun to use one with a bigger blade. So maybe a cara cara sized hawkbill?
Last edited by Sonorum on Mon Mar 18, 2019 11:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
/ David
SpyderEdgeForever

Re: Cara cara sized hawkbill?

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

Sonorum wrote:
Sun Mar 10, 2019 5:22 am
I really like my Hawkbill but it would be fun to use one with a bigger blade. So maybe a cara cara sized hawkbill?
I agree totally and I ask Spyderco to PLEASE make this.
Enactive

Post by Enactive »

Yes, interested..but it would be a massive pocket hog. My Byrd rescue 2 and Resilience are about as big as I go with folders. maybe they could sell an optional belt pouch?
Mad Mac
Location: Northern Far West Deep East Texas in the Dirty South

Post by Mad Mac »

The Cara Cara is 3.75 inches. In a hawkbill, wouldn't that be like a Matriarch reverse S edge at 3.57 or the Civilian at 4.125 inches?

If it did not have the reverse edge it would look like an oversized karambit. Folding karambits are short and typically range from 2 to 3.2 inches in blade length.
1990: Endura SE, Delica PE, Mariner, Police. 2014: ClipiTool Bottle Opener. 2015: Kitchen Knife PE, Tenacious CE, Stretch PE, Moran Drop Point, Kiwi, 2 Byrd Cara Caras, Schempp Bowie, Native 5 Forum Knife, Police SE, Tenacious SE, 4" Paring Knife, 2" Paring Knife, Terzuola Starmate. 2016: The Spyderco Story, Terzuola The Tactical Folding Knife, USN Ladybug H-1 Hawkbill SE, Black BaliYo, Yellow H-1 Salt Dragonfly 2 SE, Hennicke Ulize, Pink Native 5 PE, Renegade C23PS and C23P, Gayle Bradley 2, Terzuola Double Bevel, Gayle Bradley Air, Cricket Blue Nishjin, Centofante Memory, K2, 2 Large Lum Pink, Carey Rubicon. 2017: Dialex Battlestation, Orange Southard Positron, Gray Baliyo, Native 5 CE, Tenacious CE. 2018: Schempp EuroEdge, Eric Glesser ClipiTool Standard. 2019 Calendar Contest Reinhold Rhino CF PLN. 2022: Byrd Robin 2 Wharncliffe, Byrd Cara Cara 2 Rescue Orange, Janich Yojimbo 2 CruWear.
Motorcycle adventures in a past life.
agony

Post by agony »

Yes! A Cara Cara sized hawkbill would definitely be a great addition to the line.
Donut

Post by Donut »

One of my first Byrd knives was a stainless Crossbill. Is that what you're describing?

https://www.amazon.com/Byrd-Crossbill-S ... B001AXFVSM
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
Mad Mac

Post by Mad Mac »

3.5 inch blade. By jove, I think you've got it!
1990: Endura SE, Delica PE, Mariner, Police. 2014: ClipiTool Bottle Opener. 2015: Kitchen Knife PE, Tenacious CE, Stretch PE, Moran Drop Point, Kiwi, 2 Byrd Cara Caras, Schempp Bowie, Native 5 Forum Knife, Police SE, Tenacious SE, 4" Paring Knife, 2" Paring Knife, Terzuola Starmate. 2016: The Spyderco Story, Terzuola The Tactical Folding Knife, USN Ladybug H-1 Hawkbill SE, Black BaliYo, Yellow H-1 Salt Dragonfly 2 SE, Hennicke Ulize, Pink Native 5 PE, Renegade C23PS and C23P, Gayle Bradley 2, Terzuola Double Bevel, Gayle Bradley Air, Cricket Blue Nishjin, Centofante Memory, K2, 2 Large Lum Pink, Carey Rubicon. 2017: Dialex Battlestation, Orange Southard Positron, Gray Baliyo, Native 5 CE, Tenacious CE. 2018: Schempp EuroEdge, Eric Glesser ClipiTool Standard. 2019 Calendar Contest Reinhold Rhino CF PLN. 2022: Byrd Robin 2 Wharncliffe, Byrd Cara Cara 2 Rescue Orange, Janich Yojimbo 2 CruWear.
Sonorum

Post by Sonorum »

Donut wrote:
Mon Mar 18, 2019 3:29 pm
One of my first Byrd knives was a stainless Crossbill. Is that what you're describing?

Yes, but no.

Yes to FRN or G10, no to 5,5 oz of stainless. Also, if I'll allow myself to be picky and subjective I think the CC2 just looks a whole lot better than the crossbill as well. The Crossbill looks Kershaw-y in a bad way and the CC2 like a real and cohesive Spyderco design.

In regards to having a potentially large footprint in the pocket: I usually have my Hawkbill in my backpocket and that doesn't feel bigger than a Delica. The extra blade-protrusion isn't noticable to me in that situation.
/ David
Donut

Re: Cara Cara 2 sized hawkbill?

Post by Donut »

Having more complete information helps.
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

Would this be bigger or small than the Spyderhawk? I just got my Byrd Hawkbill today and would love one Spyderhawk sized or a bit larger as well.

Also, I think we need some neon orange FRN handles on these Byrd Hawkbills since they are used for yardwork in a lot of cases. My Orange Spyderhawk sprint is a treasured knife and the only model I have a backup of. It is extremely useful in the yard.
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
SpyderEdgeForever

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

steelcity16 wrote:
Sat Jun 01, 2019 10:12 am
Would this be bigger or small than the Spyderhawk? I just got my Byrd Hawkbill today and would love one Spyderhawk sized or a bit larger as well.

Also, I think we need some neon orange FRN handles on these Byrd Hawkbills since they are used for yardwork in a lot of cases. My Orange Spyderhawk sprint is a treasured knife and the only model I have a backup of. It is extremely useful in the yard.
Why not make a Byrd Spyderhawk?
Sonorum

Post by Sonorum »

SpyderEdgeForever wrote:
Sun Jun 02, 2019 6:26 am
steelcity16 wrote:
Sat Jun 01, 2019 10:12 am

Why not make a Byrd Spyderhawk?
A byrdhawk? Hawkbyrd? :p
/ David
defenestrate

Post by defenestrate »

I'd love to be able to get one of these.
G_shark

Post by G_shark »

I second these voices. A Carahawk would be pretty dope.
Mad Mac

Post by Mad Mac »

Something like the S blade on the Matriarch or Civilian. The length would fall in between those two.
Give it a name of its own. The Vulture.

(A Caracara Eagle is not above eating carrion either. I've witnessed it and have them on my game camera.)
zozo

Post by zozo »

Sonorum wrote:
Mon Mar 18, 2019 11:57 pm
Donut wrote:
Mon Mar 18, 2019 3:29 pm

Yes, but no.

Yes to FRN or G10, no to 5,5 oz of stainless. Also, if I'll allow myself to be picky and subjective I think the CC2 just looks a whole lot better than the crossbill as well. The Crossbill looks Kershaw-y in a bad way and the CC2 like a real and cohesive Spyderco design.

In regards to having a potentially large footprint in the pocket: I usually have my Hawkbill in my backpocket and that doesn't feel bigger than a Delica. The extra blade-protrusion isn't noticable to me in that situation.
The G10 Crossbill was really fantastic for the price. In full serrated, it's a cardboard break-down machine. Wish they'd bring it back. I'd buy several more.
Mad Mac

Post by Mad Mac »

The CE version at that link is even less expensive than the PE version. $33.17.

This image shows a full SE hawkbill with FRN handle, but I can't find it.

Mad Mac

Post by Mad Mac »

Got it. Only $28.70 and free shipping.

https://www.amazon.com/Spyderco-Hawkbil ... =hi&sr=1-2

The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

Mad Mac wrote:
Thu Oct 22, 2020 6:14 pm
Got it. Only $28.70 and free shipping.

https://www.amazon.com/Spyderco-Hawkbil ... =hi&sr=1-2

[img]https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com ... L._AC_.jpg[/img
Enjoy it! That is one great knife. One of my favorites.
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
Bemo

Post by Bemo »

I haven't found anything better for yard work for sure.