Cara Cara 2 sized hawkbill?

Discuss Spyderco's byrd knives.
Kale

Re: Cara Cara 2 sized hawkbill?

Post by Kale »

I'd love to see a Byrd version of the Spyderhawk (or Cara Cara-sized hawkbill). No one is making anything like this (believe me, I've looked) and the asking price for most Spyderhawks is crazy.

I have the FRN Byrd Hawkbill pictured above... it's fantastic. I use it at the Community Garden I run, along with the Cara Cara rescue. Unlike most gardening tools, they're so compact, I forget that I'm carrying them. A Byrd Spyderhawk would quickly become a coveted tool in gardening and landscaping circles (keep in mind, most people have not progressed beyond Victorinox knives in the garden). There are many gardening catalogues I could see offering this.

I'm looking forward to picking up a couple of the new byrd wharncliffe's, but a large FRN hawkbill would really take the cake.
Salty Dog

Post by Salty Dog »

A large or mid size g10 hawkbill would be awesome, id be all over it.
Bemo

Post by Bemo »

Agreed. Funny but I'm actually more excited about some of the potential Byrd offerings this year than the Spyderco ones.
Salty Dog

Post by Salty Dog »

Bemo wrote:
Sun Jan 17, 2021 12:53 pm
Agreed. Funny but I'm actually more excited about some of the potential Byrd offerings this year than the Spyderco ones.
Hi Bemo, is there anywhere that shows Byrd new releases for the year?
Thanks mate.
Sonorum

Post by Sonorum »

Salty Dog wrote:
Tue Jan 19, 2021 1:06 am
Bemo wrote:
Thanks mate.
We should see Wharncliffes in all sizes! Check out the wharncliffe thread :)
/ David
Salty Dog

Post by Salty Dog »

Sonorum wrote:
Tue Jan 19, 2021 1:12 am
Salty Dog wrote:
Bemo wrote:
Thanks mate.
Cant wait mate, thank you.
Ive got my first two Byrds on their way, a crossbill combo edge and hawkbill.
Im trialing a few of the more unusual blade types with Byrd first, got them for good prices.
Whats your thoughts on Byrd bro?
Sonorum

Post by Sonorum »

Salty Dog wrote:
Tue Jan 19, 2021 2:32 am
Sonorum wrote:
Salty Dog wrote:
Bemo wrote:
Thanks mate.
Im trialing a few of the more unusual blade types with Byrd first, got them for good prices.
No problems!
I've got a Hawkbill and a Meadowlark G10 and gave my dad a Meadowlark LW as well. He lost my first Spyderco, a plain Dragonfly, so I figured he needed a good knife, just not an expensive one. I think that sums up the Byrd line: good enough, expensive enough.
I have switched scales around and noticed that the quality isn't exactly the same as Spyderco. A Delica can be blade-swapped without thought, with the Byrds the fit between parts when changed around weren't quite as straight forward.
BUT. That's when you mess with your stuff on a more detailed level!
I have used my knives a lot at work and they have never failed, they do exactly what I expect them to do.
I will get one or two Wharncliffes when they come out.
/ David
Salty Dog

Post by Salty Dog »

Sonorum wrote:
Tue Jan 19, 2021 2:58 am
Salty Dog wrote:
Sonorum wrote:
Salty Dog wrote:

Thanks mate.
No problems!
I've got a Hawkbill and a Meadowlark G10 and gave my dad a Meadowlark LW as well. He lost my first Spyderco, a plain Dragonfly, so I figured he needed a good knife, just not an expensive one. I think that sums up the Byrd line: good enough, expensive enough.
I have switched scales around and noticed that the quality isn't exactly the same as Spyderco. A Delica can be blade-swapped without thought, with the Byrds the fit between parts when changed around weren't quite as straight forward.
I have used my knives a lot at work and they have never failed, they do exactly what I expect them to do.
Thanks Dave. Ive got golden and taichung models, im not expecting that level of knife but if the Spyderco value range is anything to go by, I'll be happy.
Ive been very impressed with the resilience and tenacious for Chinese made knives.
I like to support Golden and Spyderco USA made mostly, most of my collection is from there, but Spyderco is very expensive here, I don't mind buying a few of their Chinese made knives especially if its to trail something new.
Sonorum

Post by Sonorum »

Salty Dog wrote:
Tue Jan 19, 2021 3:36 am
Sonorum wrote:
Salty Dog wrote:
Sonorum wrote:

No problems!
Thanks Dave. Ive got golden and taichung models, im not expecting that level of knife but if the Spyderco value range is anything to go by, I'll be happy.
Ive been very impressed with the resilience and tenacious for Chinese made knives.
I like to support Golden and Spyderco USA made mostly, most of my collection is from there, but Spyderco is very expensive here, I don't mind buying a few of their Chinese made knives especially if its to trail something new.
Yes I've been super happy with my Byrd knives! They are a great and inexpensive way to try new things like hawkbills or fully serrated blades.
Where in the world do you live?
/ David
Salty Dog

Post by Salty Dog »

Sonorum wrote:
Tue Jan 19, 2021 3:45 am
Salty Dog wrote:
Sonorum wrote:
Salty Dog wrote:

No problems!
Yes I've been super happy with my Byrd knives! They are a great and inexpensive way to try new things like hawkbills or fully serrated blades.
Im in Sydney Australia bro, im a bit late to the world of Spyderco.
My brother kindly gifted me one last year and ever since ive built a little collection and am learning about steels and knives in general.
Im in my 40s and have had knives all my life but nothing anything really decent apart from a few old Bowie knives that were my dads, never knew much about steels or different locks.
Now im seeing knives through different eyes, really appreciating the design and steel factors, learning to sharpen different blade types properly.
All from the kindness of a gift from my brother, and I was blown away with Spyderco geometry and design.
Spyderco make knives really interesting for me.
One of the best things is my bro and i can share a hobby together and chat about knives, that's really the best thing about it.
Where are you from mate?
Sonorum

Post by Sonorum »

Salty Dog wrote:
Tue Jan 19, 2021 3:53 am
Sonorum wrote:
Salty Dog wrote:
Sonorum wrote:

No problems!
My brother kindly gifted me one last year and ever since ive built a little collection and am learning about steels and knives in general.
Im in my 40s and have had knives all my life but nothing anything really decent apart from a few old Bowie knives that were my dads, never knew much about steels or different locks.
Now im seeing knives through different eyes, really appreciating the design and steel factors, learning to sharpen different blade types properly.
All from the kindness of a gift from my brother, and I was blown away with Spyderco geometry and design.
One of the best things is my bro and i can share a hobby together and chat about knives, that's really the best thing about it.
Where are you from mate?
Almost as far away from you as one can be, Sweden! :D
"One of the best things is we can share a hobby together and chat about knives, that's really the best thing about it." I agree, it's great that people can share positive things across the globe, it brings hope.

Well I'm happy you joined the community after catching the "spyder-bug"! This is just about the nicest place on the internet :)
/ David
Salty Dog

Post by Salty Dog »

Sonorum wrote:
Tue Jan 19, 2021 5:33 am
Salty Dog wrote:
Tue Jan 19, 2021 3:53 am
Sonorum wrote:
Salty Dog wrote:

Where are you from mate?
Almost as far away from you as one can be, Sweden! :D
"One of the best things is we can share a hobby together and chat about knives, that's really the best thing about it." I agree, it's great that people can share positive things across the globe, it brings hope.

Well I'm happy you joined the community after catching the "spyder-bug"! This is just about the nicest place on the internet :)
Thanks very much for the warm welcome mate, im really happy to be part of the community.
defenestrate

Post by defenestrate »

I would love a Cara Cara sized hawbill. I'd buy FRN, G10 and SS in SE and PE though lighter and serrated is what I'd use most so probably FRN or G10 (the G10 byrd series are not super light but they look and feel great). Always looking for other larger hawkbills. I have a crossbill which is a fine solid knife thoguh I would still get a more aggressive Spyderhawk-style Cara Cara hawkbill, with a fairly negative cant to the blade.
Bemo

Post by Bemo »

Yes this!