Discuss Spyderco's byrd knives.
Mushroom

Re: Byrd with high-end steel

Post by Mushroom »

araneae wrote:
Thu Oct 21, 2021 10:00 pm
Mushroom wrote:
Mon Oct 11, 2021 7:52 pm
I would hate to see a knife branded as a "Spyderco" but actually being made by Kizer or WE. Working with Kizer to help heat treat is one thing but to produce the entire knife is where I would personally draw the line.
Spyderco has a very, very long history of having other makers produce their knives. Just curious, why is Kizer or WE a no go for you?
Sorry if I'm misunderstanding what you're saying but I think we're talking about different things. I'm aware that Spyderco outsources production to many of their trusted production facilities and makers around the world. (I assume Byrd knives are produced in a similar manner - by makers that they know and trust)

To answer your question though, Spyderco makes better knives than those companies in my opinion.

Has Spyderco ever had a competing company produce an entire knife for them?

I know Spyderco has collaborated with Lionsteel on knives but I do not believe they produced the entire knife for Spyderco. (Lionsteel very well could be their "Italy" production facility but I was under the impression that they used other makers in which they have long established working relationships with)

The SpyKer was a collaboration with Kershaw and that was made in Golden.
-Nick :bug-red
araneae

Post by araneae »

Mushroom wrote:
Thu Oct 21, 2021 10:55 pm
araneae wrote:
Thu Oct 21, 2021 10:00 pm
Mushroom wrote:
Mon Oct 11, 2021 7:52 pm
I would hate to see a knife branded as a "Spyderco" but actually being made by Kizer or WE. Working with Kizer to help heat treat is one thing but to produce the entire knife is where I would personally draw the line.
Spyderco has a very, very long history of having other makers produce their knives. Just curious, why is Kizer or WE a no go for you?
Sorry if I'm misunderstanding what you're saying but I think we're talking about different things. I'm aware that Spyderco outsources production to many of their trusted production facilities and makers around the world. (I assume Byrd knives are produced in a similar manner - by makers that they know and trust)

To answer your question though, Spyderco makes better knives than those companies in my opinion.

Has Spyderco ever had a competing company produce an entire knife for them?

I know Spyderco has collaborated with Lionsteel on knives but I do not believe they produced the entire knife for Spyderco. (Lionsteel very well could be their "Italy" production facility but I was under the impression that they used other makers in which they have long established working relationships with)

The SpyKer was a collaboration with Kershaw and that was made in Golden.
Yes, they have had knives wholly made by lion steel, fox (?), klotzli, etc. who are technically competitors. For that matter so are the Japanese makers.

I'd say I have several Kizer and Civivi knives that are equal or better made than some value line spydies.
So many knives, so few pockets... :)
-Nick

Last in: N5 Magnacut
The "Spirit" of the design does not come through unless used. -Sal
araneae

Post by araneae »

I just got a Sencut (same company as WE/Civivi) Neches in 10Cr15CoMoV to try out. Should be a VG-10 equivalent.
-Nick

sal

Post by sal »

Hi Nick,

Let us know what you think?

I think I'd feel better about a knock off of a proprietary steel if the Yuan was was fair on the world market? I think I'd feel better about it if there weren't so many Chinese knock off's and counterfeits of Spyderco knives. I don't want to get political, so I'll stop there. Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?

sal
cjk

Post by cjk »

araneae wrote:
Sat Feb 19, 2022 12:28 pm
I just got a Sencut (same company as WE/Civivi) Neches in 10Cr15CoMoV to try out. Should be a VG-10 equivalent.
10Cr15CoMoV seems like a whole lot of letters to laser on a blade. ;) Must be in a very small font.
araneae

Post by araneae »

cjk wrote:
Fri Feb 25, 2022 1:55 pm
araneae wrote:
Sat Feb 19, 2022 12:28 pm
10Cr15CoMoV seems like a whole lot of letters to laser on a blade. ;) Must be in a very small font.
It's actually very inconspicuous. WE/Civivi are good at that.
-Nick