My First Byrdie

Discuss Spyderco's byrd knives.
Gnomersy

My First Byrdie

Post by Gnomersy »

So I just recently got a Raven 2 after some deliberation as a budget PM2. Essentially that cost difference coupled with the fact that I like the Bird eye cutout more than the Spydie hole became the operative factor but I've had a few small issues.

One when opening and closing the knife there is a squeak at times. If I put mineral oil in the pivot it disappears for a few minutes and then reappears I'm given to understand this might be the detent? Is there a way to clean it off without opening up the knife/will this go away on its own given time?

Secondly is it just me or is the bird eye cutout a real sharp blighter when it comes to thumb flicking the knife open?(I admit I don't have a ton of calluses and I don't really want to have them) If I wanted to take a tiny bit off the edges what would you recommend to do the job?

Thanks in advance for your help everyone!
sal

Re: My First Byrdie

Post by sal »

Hi Gnomersy,

Welcome to our forum.

On the squeak, I would oil and break in for a while. On the sharp edge, some of our customers use a ceramic rod to break" the edge, but it does "grab" better when sharp.

sal
Gnomersy

Post by Gnomersy »

sal wrote:
Wed Oct 17, 2018 11:06 am
Hi Gnomersy,

Welcome to our forum.

On the squeak, I would oil and break in for a while. On the sharp edge, some of our customers use a ceramic rod to break" the edge, but it does "grab" better when sharp.

sal
Thank you Sal!
Uke

Post by Uke »

I use a drop of Tuf-Glide on my pivots. I don't have a Raven but it has my Cara Caras and Meadowlarks buttery smooth with no squeaking.

As for the Byrd hole my hands are covered in calluses and I've still found a couple of Meadowlarks and my wife's Robin a bit sharp out of the box! As Sal says though, easily solved with a ceramic rod. I use the corner of one of the Sharpmaker medium rods to gently 'wipe' around the inside of the hole. Top tip - Be careful not to slip and put a big scratch mark down your new blade as I found out the hard way! :D
Gnomersy

Post by Gnomersy »

Uke wrote:
Wed Oct 17, 2018 3:02 pm
I use a drop of Tuf-Glide on my pivots. I don't have a Raven but it has my Cara Caras and Meadowlarks buttery smooth with no squeaking.

As for the Byrd hole my hands are covered in calluses and I've still found a couple of Meadowlarks and my wife's Robin a bit sharp out of the box! As Sal says though, easily solved with a ceramic rod. I use the corner of one of the Sharpmaker medium rods to gently 'wipe' around the inside of the hole. Top tip - Be careful not to slip and put a big scratch mark down your new blade as I found out the hard way! :D
Well I'm glad to hear it's not just me I guess? :D I did address all the issues. (Actually just got some Tuf Glide today and used it all up in there) Also dealt with the overly sharp liner & jimping although nobody ask me how I did it or I'll be burned for knife-heresy and definitely did not successfully maintain my brand new factory polish but that's fine I can probably get it mostly buffed out later and for not hurting myself while using the knife it's a reasonable price to pay.
anagarika

Post by anagarika »

Actually UF rod can work reducing sharpness around hole, less aggressive ;)
Chris :spyder: