Byrd challenge!

Discuss Spyderco's byrd knives.
david4121

Byrd challenge!

Post by david4121 »

In the spirit of that challenge, I'd like to propose a new one. 30 day Byrd challenge!

The idea of this challenge is to both compare the overall quality of the $15-40 Byrd knife to the $100-200 Spydercos we often EDC, and see how well the 8Cr13MoV stacks up to the steels you typically use.

Pick a Byrd knife and make it the only knife you EDC for the full month of December. (Well, maybe make an exception on Christmas if you want to carry something fancier...)

I'm placing an order for some sharpening supplies this week, and with it I'm going to pick up a brand new Cara Cara 2 to EDC during December. The Cara Cara 1 is one of the knives that originally got me into Spyderco, and while I've purchased a few Cara Cara 2's in the past, they ended up as gifts or beaters rather than being my primary EDC.

Well, it's time for me to re-visit an old favorite, setting aside my Pacific Salts for the next month.

Anyone else up for the challenge?
sal

Re: Byrd challenge!

Post by sal »

Hi David,

Welcome to our forum.

I carry byrds regularly as I have to m make sure they are functioning properly. We'll see if anyone else takes it on?

sal
knivesandbooks

Post by knivesandbooks »

I thought about getting an SE Byrd. Hmm. I just might do it.
Christ is risen from the dead, trampling down death by death, and on those in the tombs bestowing life!
Uke

Post by Uke »

If the new Grey FRN Meadowlark lands before December I'll happily carry that all month.
Daveho

Post by Daveho »

I get my 8cr thrills from the ambitious.. cheap nice knife without the Byrd lock stick.
carrot

Post by carrot »

I find the Stainless Cara Cara 2 to be a fantastic daily carry. It slips easily IWB for quiet carry and is totally inobtrusive in this position. I have EDC’d it for months at a time because it sharpens up really easily, and it does fantastic double duty for light kitchen use. I strongly prefer it over the SS Endura due to the flat ground blade and choil.

Since the stainless models are pinned and not skeletonized, they are low maintenance, easy to clean, and have a satisfying simplicity that we often do not find in other modern tactical folders.

I would of course prefer no Swiss cheese 4-way mounting holes (and pinned titanium scales!) but alas, one cannot have everything they want.
apollo
Location: A place where idiots and corrupt people are called the government…

Post by apollo »

Well i have the Raven in my pocket for almost 3 weeks now. So the challenge wil not be so hard for me. :) i do somedays have a second knife on me that would be the para 1 or 2 but i do use the Raven everyday. :)