What would you like to see next from Byrd?

Discuss Spyderco's byrd knives.
Araignee

Re: What would you like to see next from Byrd?

Post by Araignee »

Jim Malone wrote:
Sun Sep 26, 2021 1:07 pm
Byrds don't seem to work for me. I rather spend a little bit more and buy Spyderco. I know they are a great bang for the buck but the comet shape opening hole and the fact that they are not a Spyderco just doesn't work for me.
They don't just have a great quality/price ratio, they're sometimes even better than the Spyderco-branded knifes, ergonomically speaking. Case in point : the Robin's handle which fits better in my hand than that of the Dragonfly.

Also, technically they're Spydercos... just not branded as such :zany
z1r

Post by z1r »

I just picked up a Finch 2 at my Ace Hardware. Ridiculously amazing knife for the price. Steel liners, perfectly centered blade, no unwanted blade movement. All for under $25! Amazing!

If I had one wish for the Byrd lineup, it might be that they move to either 9cr18mov or 14c28n steels.

I really like the Byrds for use in seat bags on my bikes, in spare backpacks, etc., as stash knives due to their cost. If they get lost or stolen, I'm not out much $$$ but they perform exceptionally well for what they cost and bets of all, I am doing business with Spyderco.
rwk

Post by rwk »

I'd like to see:

- FRN handled knives with a black blade. The stainless handled knives are super cool, but just too heavy for me.

- More wire clips! Spyderco's wire clips are fantastic, especially the ones that are deep pocket carry. And this seems to be a very desirable feature, with people spending $20+ to add a deep pocket carry clip. I know wire clips aren't for everyone, but I really like them, and especially appreciate that they are a little bit less scratchy when I accidentally bump into something.

Cara Cara 2 FRN black blade/wire clip would be super awesome, and I bet it would sell.

I'm 100% ok with 8Cr13Mov for this price point. Spyderco squeezed a lot of performance out of it and I don't think it's really comparable to a lot of knives from competitors with this steel. If there is a way to upgrade somewhat without a price increase, that would be great. But I really think it is ok for most people as-is.

One additional thing, and this is probably just me: It sure would be nice if the printing on the blade was a little bit cooler. If it's at all possible, maybe the text could just be moved down a little and curved around the pivot. Or maybe something more like what's on the Tenacious. Is a tiny detail, but just sort of detracts from perceived quality for me.
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Rwk,

Welcome to our forum.

sal
z1r

Post by z1r »

RWK, I agree with you on the wire clips. I have no complaints about the non0wire clips, mine have all been great. But I do like my deep carry wire clips the best. And yes, for the value, I don't have a legit complaint about the 8Cr13Mov but I can wish.

My Hawkbill is such a great knife, especially if compared side by side to my Tasman Salt. Clearly the Tasman Salt being the hands down winner with regards to corrosion resistance. But the Hawkbill always makes me smile when I handle it, cuz I think of what a great value it is and how well it performs. Must be the accountant in me, lol.
rwk

Post by rwk »

z1r - I have a hawkbill too. What a great knife and truly a fantastic value. I don't know how they do it - this seems like pretty complicated knife to grind and you would think it would be much more expensive.

I haven't tried any of the salt series yet - I'm not sure why, but I rarely seem to have any troubles with corrosion or rust even on hot sweaty days. I know it's really important for a lot of people though, especially those that work outside a lot, so am glad it is available.

After all this talk about how I like 8Cr13Mov, now I'm thinking I may need to try a Raven 2. Gets some great reviews, and I really like BD1.

Sal - thanks for the warm welcome.

-- rwk
bjz

Post by bjz »

Teeth! I know the wharncliffe options are somewhere in the queue, but it would be rad to see the standard (thin and slicey) blade shapes in full SE as well. Yep, there is the hawkbill and rescue options, which are both great (I have ‘em), but boy would the standard offerings be great with full teeth! 8cr is even a fine and price conscious offering!

Every time I pick up my harrier 2, I consider getting an endela and then remember how much more I like the handle/choil of the harrier! “But Daddy, I want it now!!!”

Seriously though, I think all the byrds and mainline value options would be fantastic in full SE! I love my SE tenacious and have been wanting either a harrier or efficient with teeth.

…end of spoiled selfish wishing.
z1r

Post by z1r »

rwk wrote:
Wed Oct 13, 2021 4:31 pm
z1r - I have a hawkbill too. What a great knife and truly a fantastic value. I don't know how they do it - this seems like pretty complicated knife to grind and you would think it would be much more expensive.

I haven't tried any of the salt series yet - I'm not sure why, but I rarely seem to have any troubles with corrosion or rust even on hot sweaty days. I know it's really important for a lot of people though, especially those that work outside a lot, so am glad it is available.

After all this talk about how I like 8Cr13Mov, now I'm thinking I may need to try a Raven 2. Gets some great reviews, and I really like BD1.

Sal - thanks for the warm welcome.

-- rwk
I handled a Raven2 last week, I really like it, especially for the price. It will be on my list of knives to get.

The one thing I found interesting and some might say "better" about the Byrd Hawkbill vs the Tasman Salt is that the Hawkbill has a finger choil.

z1r

Post by z1r »

bjz wrote:
Fri Oct 15, 2021 9:38 pm
Teeth! I know the wharncliffe options are somewhere in the queue, but it would be rad to see the standard (thin and slicey) blade shapes in full SE as well. Yep, there is the hawkbill and rescue options, which are both great (I have ‘em), but boy would the standard offerings be great with full teeth! 8cr is even a fine and price conscious offering!

Every time I pick up my harrier 2, I consider getting an endela and then remember how much more I like the handle/choil of the harrier! “But Daddy, I want it now!!!”

Seriously though, I think all the byrds and mainline value options would be fantastic in full SE! I love my SE tenacious and have been wanting either a harrier or efficient with teeth.

…end of spoiled selfish wishing.

I stopped by the SFO Saturday to pick up a knife for a friend. A week or two ago he showed me the new S&W knife he'd picked up. It was a flipper that you couldn't even flick open. Last Thursday we got an Office Depot delivery so I busted out my Endela and opened the boxes. He asked to see the knife and was impressed by it but mostly for the way the back lock prevented the blade from opening easily. He told me his knife had opened in his pocket and cut his pant. At least it was sharp if not flickable!

After looking around some, I got him a CE Harrier 2. The blade is long enough that you get a decent amount of each edge type and, it won't just come open n his pocket. I'll see him tomorrow, hope he likes it.
jousmit19

Post by jousmit19 »

escales camo, digital camo, camo blue cops and camo sand desert
z1r

Post by z1r »

Follow up, friend loved the CE Harrier 2 I got him!
bjz

Post by bjz »

I, frankly, like my Harrier 2 lw a bit better than the stretch 2 SS I stumbled into. I have a couple actually…one is my kitchen knife at work and the other is kind of a dedicated hiking/mushroom knife.

Considering picking up a G10 version to “class it up” a bit. Would be rad if they made a full SE version…patiently awaiting the wharncliffes.
Cl1ff

Post by Cl1ff »

Byrds with recurves and the option for serrations on those recurves.
A recurved blade is probably one of my favorites and I think they are generally underutilized in Spyderco’s lineup or even the whole of the knife market.
While it’s not a regular recurve, the Hawkbill is a great shining example of why more curvy edges aren’t a bad thing.
rex121 is the king of steel, but nature’s teeth have been cutting for hundreds of millions of years and counting :cool:
Ramonade

Post by Ramonade »

A 3" cutting edge with a choil on a 2mm stock ffg :)
:respect In the collection :respect : Lots of different steels, in lots of different (and same) Spydercos.

Robin. Finally made an IG : ramo_knives

MNOSD member 004* aka Mr. N5s :face-clouds
yogibearal

Post by yogibearal »

New here, but not to Spyderco/Byrd.

I rotate a meadowlark in either as primary or secondary carry, at least once per week of which I have 3, (FRN in blue, G10 black x2) My Spyderco's include Delica's, Native 5, Military, pacific salt (Full SE).

I lost my first meadowlark in black FRN, w/ combo edge. That one I used for salt water fishing to allow better rope cutting with serrated edge, and the tip used to cut fishing line etc..... Will be looking to replace it, maybe with the new different blade shapes just announced. The 8Cr13MoV - is fine in salt water as I usually rinse it with fresh water at the end of the day with other fishing equipment. The tension bar and hardware does get rusted so when I take the knife apart I use some waterproof grease with it which helps a lot. When I receive a new one I also smooth out and polish insides to help with corrosion resistance.

local jurisdictions I work in only allow 3" or under blades. :( -so most of my EDC's are under 3" with larger knives, on the boat, camping, hiking general outdoors.

With all that out of the way - More G10/FRN meadowlark in different colors. I lose knives once in a while so this price point doesn't hurt as bad, and I abuse them :) The other knives get used as well but not as much/hard as these.

The 8Cr13MoV - good enough for the intended price point. I have some Chinese D2 and many are warped to some degree especially ones cut as thin as the meadowlark. They do tend to keep an edge noticeably longer, but I haven't used them much when fishing, not as versatile as the meadowlark and almost no serrated edges. Seems like the tenacious gets a little more love from Spyderco in different versions.

Oh one last thing - hope quality remains consistent. My last G10 meadowlark wasn't finished as well as the earlier one, and the pivot screw was smaller. The backspacer cutouts were also uneven. With modern machining and tooling they should be consistent.

Al
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Yogibearal,

Welcome to our forum.

sal
Toucan

Post by Toucan »

I wouldn't mind seeing a reissue of the Firebyrd.

https://spyderco.com/catalog/details.php?product=207
Jim Malone

Post by Jim Malone »

More fixed blades. And a reverse edge version of a fixed blade.
Araignee

Post by Araignee »

Toucan wrote:
Sat Jan 15, 2022 8:16 pm
I wouldn't mind seeing a reissue of the Firebyrd.

https://spyderco.com/catalog/details.php?product=207
Woah that was pretty ingenious, though I have no use for a lighter I'd buy one just for the sake of it.
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

PLEASE bring back the Wings ! MG2
MNOSD 0002 / Do more than is required of you . Patton
Nothing makes earth so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes.
Henry David Thoreau