What would you like to see next from Byrd?

Discuss Spyderco's byrd knives.
yowzer

Re: What would you like to see next from Byrd?

Post by yowzer »

I'd love to see the Wings Slipit re-released. Maybe with a pointer PE blade.
Josh1973

Post by Josh1973 »

Some things I would like to see with the Byrd line would be a Byrd fully serrated hawkbill with stainless steel handles.
Maybe some different color handle material like seen on the Endura style knives.
And an upgrade from 8cr mov to 9cr mov steel. I am assuming both steels are pretty close in price for the raw material. Which would keep the Byrd line of knives in budget price range. 9cr mov from my experiences is pretty dang good steel and similar to 440C.
pantagana23

Post by pantagana23 »

I would love to see S35VN or BD1N in backlocks, and better stainless liners on G10 models (current do rust quite a lot).
Hoping Sal and Eric manage to do this with chinese factories.
Ngati Pom

Post by Ngati Pom »

yowzer wrote:
Thu May 27, 2021 9:54 pm
I'd love to see the Wings Slipit re-released. Maybe with a pointer PE blade.
Me too.
'The future is already here;it's just not evenly distributed'
William Gibson
Josh1973

Post by Josh1973 »

pantagana23 wrote:
Wed Jun 02, 2021 11:24 am
I would love to see S35VN or BD1N in backlocks, and better stainless liners on G10 models (current do rust quite a lot).
I gotta say that is quite positive thinking and ambition. And there is nothing wrong with that.
But would those changes not drive the value price oriented Byrd line into pretty much higher end Spyderco price bracket?
Or even hurt the sales of the pricier Spyderco knives that use the high end steels you are mentioning?

I could be wrong. But I just don't see the use of S35V or BD1 used in the Byrd line and being able to continue to sell the knives under $30 range.

The Byrd is a value priced knife for those who cannot afford a higher end Spyderco or refuse to spend more than $30 on a work knife crowd dermographic.
pantagana23

Post by pantagana23 »

Josh1973 wrote:
Sun Jun 06, 2021 10:33 am
pantagana23 wrote:
I gotta say that is quite positive thinking and ambition. And there is nothing wrong with that.
But would those changes not drive the value price oriented Byrd line into pretty much higher end Spyderco price bracket?
Or even hurt the sales of the pricier Spyderco knives that use the high end steels you are mentioning?

I could be wrong. But I just don't see the use of S35V or BD1 used in the Byrd line and being able to continue to sell the knives under $30 range.

The Byrd is a value priced knife for those who cannot afford a higher end Spyderco or refuse to spend more than $30 on a work knife crowd dermographic.
You're quite right there, I may have overkilled it with S35VN.

But BD1N is already in a number of Byrd linerlocks.

I remember Sal saying that it depends on the factory whether they have the ability to produce knives with steels other that the common 8Cr13MoV.

My wish is highly subjective due to the fact that I'm a leftie, so 99% of both Spyderco and Byrd line are pretty much unuseable for me (exception being Spyderco Military and Paramilitary 2 with compression, both of which are just too large for everyday use for my needs).

Well, idea is here, only time will tell whether anything comes from this or not.

Edit: I personally find the Byrd hole even better for control of opening/closing backlocks, as they are bigger, even in the smallest models.

One day I hope Spyderco makes a 180 and starts producing Byrds in house as an exlcusive version of Sypderco, rather than the underdog as is now
Josh1973

Post by Josh1973 »

pantagana23 wrote:
Sun Jun 06, 2021 11:56 am
Josh1973 wrote:
Sun Jun 06, 2021 10:33 am
pantagana23 wrote:

You're quite right there, I may have overkilled it with S35VN.

But BD1N is already in a number of Byrd linerlocks.

I remember Sal saying that it depends on the factory whether they have the ability to produce knives with steels other that the common 8Cr13MoV.

My wish is highly subjective due to the fact that I'm a leftie, so 99% of both Spyderco and Byrd line are pretty much unuseable for me (exception being Spyderco Military and Paramilitary 2 with compression, both of which are just too large for everyday use for my needs).

Well, idea is here, only time will tell whether anything comes from this or not.

Edit: I personally find the Byrd hole even better for control of opening/closing backlocks, as they are bigger, even in the smallest models.

One day I hope Spyderco makes a 180 and starts producing Byrds in house as an exlcusive version of Sypderco, rather than the underdog as is now
I am glad I am not a leftie. But I might as well be. Torn a tendon in my elbow. I landscape and I can't even swing a machete in my right hand without crazy pain or losing grip on the blade. So I been using my left hand and it seems very awkward and unbalanced to say the least. I am not used to using my left arm to control a knife or machete.

I do have to concur that it would be nice to see more lefty friendly knives and that you make a grand point.
chronovore

Post by chronovore »

The answer for me is better steel on the bottom tier. I just can't justify buying knives in 8Cr13Mov anymore. Too many other companies are offering knives in much better budget steels and at better prices.

For instance, the Civivi knives in 9Cr18Mov have become the gold standard for budget quality. Others have mentioned the increasing use of Sandvik steels by Chinese manufacturers. Kizer's Tangram line hasn't seen a new model in a while but the Santa Fe is still in production. It has a nice thin blade made of Acuto 440 and it holds a noticeably better edge than my Meadowlark 2. Artisan recently commissioned a new PM budget steel that is similar in composition to both 9Cr18Mov and Acuto 440. There are just too many better choices now.

It's also worth mentioning the explosion of Chinese D2 in the budget knife market. There are a ton of models from a bunch of companies, from Bestech to Petrified Fish. Some of those companies do a much better heat treatment than others but even the cheapest examples tend to offer a significant step up in edge retention from 8Cr13Mov. While companies like CRKT and Kershaw are chasing that trend--and charging a dubious premium for it--I'd much rather see Spyderco pursue one of the more stainless and frankly more interesting options.
bjz

Post by bjz »

many thoughts about the requests for something other than 8cr…frankly, I’d much rather they keep the 8cr around and continue to offer up new designs/blade shapes/edge types at the current price points!

The upcoming wharncliffes will be a huge expansion of offerings! Other than this, my number one ask would be for handle colors…please please please produce a run of the meadowlark rescue in orange (and/or a harrier sized rescue in orange)! Then maybe extend the colors to the harrier frn.

Second, I’d love to see either a harrier frn (love that handle/size) or Cara Cara sized hawkbill!

Lastly, a while back someone put out the idea of a reverse s “terrror Byrd”…I would second the desire for a meadowlark or harrier version of the lil’ matriarch!!!

All of it in 8cr (okay, if they could offer any of this in BD1 in the $50-$60 range, that would be rad as well)!!!

That is all.
Araignee

Post by Araignee »

SharpieB wrote:
Sat Jan 13, 2018 10:44 am
I would be all over reasonably priced Byrd machetes, tomahawks, large fixed, smaller blades, etc.

Good call. Personally, I'd like to see a Byrd santoku-style kitchen knife.

Spyderco currently has the K08BK with a 17cm blade which goes for 95$.

I envision a smaller, Byrd version of that ; featuring a ~12cm blade, a steel with decent corrosion resistance, and of course available at bargain price.

It would also come with two improvements (compared with the K08BK) :

1. A smooth blade-to-handle transition, whereby the end of the blade doesn't just end abruptly where the handle begins, but "melts" into it. This is so food residues don't get stuck in that area. I paid a lot of attention to this when looking for a kitchen knife. It's more hygienic.

2. A handle which doesn't have fins on its back. Admittedly I haven't tried the K08BK's handle, but it looks like it could grind the area between by thumb and my index ; a pretty disagreeable sensation.

[Edit : fixed some typos]
Last edited by Araignee on Tue Aug 31, 2021 6:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
Michael Janich

Post by Michael Janich »

Dear Araignee:

Welcome to the Spyderco Forum.

Stay safe,

Mike
Stoney87

Post by Stoney87 »

I’d love to see some more lock types. Lockbacks do the job but they are far from my favorite. Maybe some trickle down from some of the other locks spyderco has made. Compression lock? I know that’s a reach, but I’d even like to see some more liner locks myself. Not everyone’s cup of tea but I like them.
Airlsee

Post by Airlsee »

Colors for the FRN Meadowlarks & Hawkbills PLEASE!!! At least an orange variant, but many colors would be great!
So it goes.
Ngati Pom

Post by Ngati Pom »

Bright orange or byrd Cara-Cara rescue orange?
'The future is already here;it's just not evenly distributed'
William Gibson
Airlsee

Post by Airlsee »

Ngati Pom wrote:
Mon Sep 06, 2021 11:45 pm
Bright orange or byrd Cara-Cara rescue orange?

Exactly. An orange variant at the very least.

With the budget models I would think some basic colors would help with sales. Black, Tan, Orange, Yellow, Green, Blue, Purple...I would like to see all of them.

Let's start with orange though to go with the existing black.
So it goes.
chronovore

Post by chronovore »

I'm all set on BD1. If I'm going that route, I'd rather just go up to BD1N.

The recent talk about 9Cr18Mov is exciting. Even in cheap knives from Schrade, 9Cr18Mov tends to hold a better edge than the best knives in 8Cr13Mov. With a good heat treatment, such as in the Civivi and Sencut knives from WE, 9Cr18Mov can deliver a surprising level of performance. It also has good corrosion resistance.

Seeing the Schrade knives down around $20, the Civivi and Sencut knives getting up closer to $50, and brands like Real Steel in between; I'd imagine that Spyderco could get 9Cr18Mov into their Chinese-made knives for a reasonable price.
ToneGrail

Post by ToneGrail »

I'd also like to see fully serrated versions of the Cara Cara, Harrier, and Meadowlark as well as waved versions of them.
jousmit19

Post by jousmit19 »

tanto blade
Jim Malone

Post by Jim Malone »

Byrds don't seem to work for me. I rather spend a little bit more and buy Spyderco. I know they are a great bang for the buck but the comet shape opening hole and the fact that they are not a Spyderco just doesn't work for me.
skeeg11

Post by skeeg11 »

The budget steel market is being upgraded by many knife manufacturers and for the better. Only Sal knows the time frame, but Byrd will have to do so also. When that happens, many more knife guys will give Byrds even more serious consideration. Herein lies the conundrum. Spyderco may wish to upgrade their Spyderco value line before doing so with the Byrds in order to not hurt sales in the Spyderco value line. When or how the upgrade takes place may depend upon how much 8Cr13 MoV stock is in inventory with respective models. Of course I may be completely wrong and they may decided to go with a pricing strategy. This is all speculation on my part. In any event, it will be interesting to see how Spydero/Byrd address upgrading in the value/budget line. I look forward to it. What steel will it be when the Byrd Wharnies roll out? :thinking :zany