What would you like to see next from Byrd?

Discuss Spyderco's byrd knives.
BLUETYPEII

Re: What would you like to see next from Byrd?

Post by BLUETYPEII »

Done
Last edited by BLUETYPEII on Sat Feb 22, 2020 9:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
40 Spyderco knives in 11 different steels,
1 Byrd and 30 “others”
vivi

Post by vivi »

Vivi wrote:
Sat Jan 13, 2018 1:53 am
1. I'd like to see more CTSBD1 used. I'd really like to see this steel offered in the Cara Cara....at least the Ti version. 8Cr works for me, but I appreciate the extra corrosion resistance of BD1.

2. Fixed blades. One of my most frequently EDC'd knives these days is a $25 fixed blade from another company. It's simple, lightweight, and came with a great sheath. I'd like to see some Byrd fixed blades under $50 that offer simple, work horse designs for a low price. I wonder how much an 8Cr Mule with FRN scales and a simple sheath would run?

3. Cara Cara XL. I've been asking for a Pacific Salt XL, but a Byrd Cara Cara XL would be fun too. Something with a blade around 5"...bigger than the Police, but not so big it seems more like a novelty than a knife to be used.

What would you like to see from Byrd?
Having started this thread before I learned about the Bow River, it was cool seeing that request happen. It's one of the best executed fixed blade designs I've seen under $50.
:unicorn
knivesandbooks

Post by knivesandbooks »

Knives to compete with Civivi, Bestech, etc. So, nice g10, more bd1, thin grinds. I know it can be done. Obvioysly I don't know if it is worthwhile focusing on competing in that price point but hey.

Also, what Vivi said about fixed blades. Or even make them 40-50$$. I think they'd likely be good sellers.
Christ is risen from the dead, trampling down death by death, and on those in the tombs bestowing life!
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Knivesandbooks,

The testing that we've done, which is minimal, but showed that the market doesn't seem to be interested in the better steels and higher costs. We'll continue to try to find what will work. A second maker in China has agreed to try the better steels.

sal
turttlepockets

Post by turttlepockets »

I would like to see some Byrd accessories. A knife case with the Byrd logo on it. I would also like to see the duck foot sharpener back in production. As far as blade steel. How about D2?
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Turtlepockets,

Welcome to our forum.

We tested some D2 made in china and weren't satisfied with the quality.

sal
stanolszews

Post by stanolszews »

A Finch with a pocket clip.

Byrds with H1 steel.

Compression locks? Maybe that’s a little crazy.
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

sal wrote:
Tue Dec 31, 2019 5:27 pm
Hi Knivesandbooks,

The testing that we've done, which is minimal, but showed that the market doesn't seem to be interested in the better steels and higher costs. We'll continue to try to find what will work. A second maker in China has agreed to try the better steels.

sal

Sal, do you mean better as in imported US, Japanese, or European steel, or just higher grades of Chinese steel?

I have no problem with 8Cr13MoV, but of course I'd love to see a steel upgrade provided it doesn't drive the cost up too much.
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
BornIn1500

Post by BornIn1500 »

stanolszews wrote:
Mon Jan 20, 2020 8:54 am
Compression locks? Maybe that’s a little crazy.
Sal has said the compression lock is difficult to make properly in mass production. They already tried making a budget compression lock with the Spyderco Rhino. From what I recall, it was initially being made in either the Taiwan or China facility and was supposed to have a street price of $50, but they failed quality checks. So production was moved to the Taichung facility and the price went up substantially. I don't think we'll be seeing a China comp lock any time soon after losing that investment in the Rhino.

Plus (this is pure speculation) they may want to keep their patented comp lock in only their premium lines to give people more of a reason to spend $100+ on a knife. It's always nice to have a visual improvement on expensive models instead of just relying on saying they have better build quality and better steel and hoping people understand.
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Stanolszews,

Welcome to our forum.

H1 steel is not available China. I'll watch interest in a Finch with a clip. We're working with a couple of makers to see if hey can manage a Compression Lock.

Hi Conner,

Yes, imported steels.

Hi Born,

We're working on it. we'll see.

sal
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

sal wrote:
Tue Jan 21, 2020 9:05 am
Hi Stanolszews,

Welcome to our forum.

H1 steel is not available Japan. I'll watch interest in a Finch with a clip. We're working with a couple of makers to see if hey can manage a Compression Lock.

Hi Conner,

Yes, imported steels.

Hi Born,

We're working on it. we'll see.

sal
Thanks Sal!
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
rabbitanarchy14

Post by rabbitanarchy14 »

i like byrds for work knives and my favorite was the crow 2. if it was thinner i would like it better than the pry bar that it is.
192.168.0.1 -Para 3 G10 M390 Red, Dice XHP, Lil Native Rex 45 comp, Manix 2 M390 G10 BR, PM2 M390 DLC BL, PM2 k390 RGreen, Cat BD1N, Dragonfly 2 k390
Saving for - Lil Native K390, D'allara 3, UTX-70
Instruments- Kimber EVO, SA Hellcat, SW Shield Plus 9
GarageBoy

Post by GarageBoy »

D2 is older than dirt, hard to imagine not getting it right

Maybe d2 is hard to heat treat in large batches?
StuntZombie

Post by StuntZombie »

GarageBoy wrote:
Sat Jan 25, 2020 8:22 pm
D2 is older than dirt, hard to imagine not getting it right

Maybe d2 is hard to heat treat in large batches?
I remember doing a little research, because I was curious why I was seeing so much D2 on knives from China, and I guess they have their own version of that steel. I can't remember the composition, but I think it was just a bit different than the US version.
Chris

Haves: Lava, Delica 4 Sante Fe Stoneworks, Spy-DK x2,

Just say NO to lined FRN
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

sal wrote:
Tue Dec 31, 2019 5:27 pm

... A second maker in China has agreed to try the better steels.

sal
Would something like CPM M4 fall into that category? I would love to see a Byrd Hawkbill in Full Flat Ground Plain Edge CPM M4 or some other higher wear resistant steel! The design and execution of the Byrd Hawkbill is spot on - it'd be super cool to have a PE option with steels like CPM 4V, HAP40, K390, CPM M4, Cru-Wear, etc. :cool:
- Connor

sal

Post by sal »

Hi Conner,

That might be a bit ambitious. We'll see if we can get S30V.

sal
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

sal wrote:
Wed Feb 05, 2020 11:02 pm
Hi Conner,

That might be a bit ambitious. We'll see if we can get S30V.

sal

S30V would be great too.
- Connor

pantagana23

Post by pantagana23 »

Let me drop my 2 cents in this thread:

I'd like to see a Starling 2 shaped knife, but the size of Spyderco Urban, or handle length 1/4" bigger.

Starling 2 is the best looking lockback from Byrd line, and in combination with BD1 steel, this would be an instant sell. With a clip of course.
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Pantagana,

What blade length are you thinking? The "Urban" is 2.5" blade. The Robin is also 2.5" I like the Starling a lot. Carry it a lot. The maker is a knife nut, the quality is good. A Starling at 2.5" I think might conflict with the Robin?

sal
pantagana23

Post by pantagana23 »

Hello Sal,
Thank you for the response.
I seem to be a sucker for your design of smaller knives, with the leaf, or as I see it, a spear point blade shape.
Starling does it all - it looks like it picked up all the best from Dragonfly and Urban, and with maximum edge length, which appels to me a lot.
The idea would be to have a 3 1/2 finger Starling with no choil (as is this one) to maximize the edge length, while keeping the leaf shape from the above mentioned and the backlock.
This with BD1 would be an excellent knife.

Looking at your previous designs, I'm sure you would create something magnificent again.