What would you like to see next from Byrd?

Discuss Spyderco's byrd knives.
TomAiello

Re: What would you like to see next from Byrd?

Post by TomAiello »

If you're making emergency cuts of rope or line, the hawkbill wins hands down. I once cut through an entire line set (that's 16 separate lines of 600 pound Dacron) tangled around a guy's legs (and each line wrapped around the others) with a Tasman Salt, in 38 degree water. That experience pretty much converted me to serrated hawkbills for emergency cutting situations.

For general utility, a serrated wharnie would be pretty good, though. In which case, I'm now picturing a Rock Hopper with a carabiner hole. :)

If I get some time this week, maybe I'll try having a cut-off with tangled lines like that. I have a Cara Cara 2 Rescue , and it would be interesting to rig up a tangled water test with it and the Tasman Salt. I'll use nice warm water, though. :)
vanis.slinkard

Post by vanis.slinkard »

Would the rescue be considered a warncliffe ish blade, that is what in using now. And I like everything about it except dropping it, but as far as the blade, weight, length, and the orange color it's perfect. "I get Byrd" I think one of the problems I have with it is the bracket bends to easily and that might be why it falls out of my pocket so often.
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

I'd say the rescue is a modified wharncliffe. When I think of a pure wharncliffe, it's usually pointier. I think the rescue blade shape would work well in this application though.

I just love the way the hawkbill 'gathers' the material into the curve, especially when I'm cutting tangled, fibrous stuff (like rope or lines).

Totally agree on bright orange (or bright yellow). I'm a big fan of making utility blades in easy to see colors.
Ngati Pom

Post by Ngati Pom »

Would an elongated SE Dodo, or Matriach without the 'claw', edge shape work on a sheep's foot style blade?
'The future is already here;it's just not evenly distributed'
William Gibson
Salty Dog

Post by Salty Dog »

g10 hawkbill reissue.
g10 crossbill reissue
Wharncliffe
A Byrd food prep knife with at least a 4''+ blade
Kenneth57

Post by Kenneth57 »

I like the nylon scales on the rat knives. I would like a Cara Cara withe those nylon scales. Fat smooth scales are comfortable for me in my arthritis years. I really love the finger choils on the Byrd lineup. my Cara Cara is a fine camp kitchen, fruits, vegetables and grilling knife.

Now for blade steel, I like Buck's 410hc, anyway to match that with 8cr? I don' t want prices to go up
if I want a knife with expensive steel I know where to look.
ugaarguy

Post by ugaarguy »

I'd like to see a few liner-less back locks with a slightly more corrosion resistant steel. Something like 7Cr17 or 9Cr18 would work. They could be named after lakes or rivers and serve as a gateway to the full-blown Spyderco Salts.
Salty Dog

Post by Salty Dog »

ugaarguy wrote:
Mon Feb 01, 2021 8:32 pm
I'd like to see a few liner-less back locks with a slightly more corrosion resistant steel. Something like 7Cr17 or 9Cr18 would work. They could be named after lakes or rivers and serve as a gateway to the full-blown Spyderco Salts.
Great idea Ugaarguy, I like where you're coming from.
Cl1ff

Post by Cl1ff »

Huh, I do like the idea of “Salt” Byrd knives!

I would really like a large Reverse S design from the Byrd line. 3.5+ inches and I’d name it, like the DoDo, after another extinct bird.

They were called “Terror Birds”
(Scientifically known as Phorusrhacids)
The Terror birds were up to almost 10 feet tall and flightless predators that dominated the America’s for millions of years in the Ice Ages. Apex predators in their environments, even over most of the large mammalian carnivores like Smilodon the saber-toothed cat.

The beaks shared a similar “Reverse S” curve to some Spydercos like the Dodo and Matriarch.
Great for catching and eating large prey.

This skull is a close relative of Titanis, one of the biggest species, called Andalgalornis. You can see the dramatic S shape.
Fossils of Titanis have been discovered in a few places, including just a short drive from my home in central Florida. It’s the largest dinosaur known from the state as the land was underwater while Titanis’s big siblings were roaming 66 million years ago in the Mesozoic.

I’ve found fossils from the same age as this Terror bird, like a Rabbit jaw, which would have been dinner for Titanis.

I think a 3.5+ inch Reverse S “Byrd Titanis” or “Byrd Terror” would make an incredibly powerful cutting tool for a great price. It’d be hard to beat, especially if serrated.
Last edited by Cl1ff on Thu May 20, 2021 6:12 pm, edited 5 times in total.
rex121 is the king of steel, but nature’s teeth have been cutting for hundreds of millions of years and counting :cool:
Salty Dog

Post by Salty Dog »

Fantastic post cliff, really interesting mate.
Im in!
Cl1ff

Post by Cl1ff »

Salty Dog wrote:
Wed Feb 03, 2021 5:55 am
Fantastic post cliff, really interesting mate.
Im in!
Thanks!
Glad you liked it.
rex121 is the king of steel, but nature’s teeth have been cutting for hundreds of millions of years and counting :cool:
Ngati Pom

Post by Ngati Pom »

Hi Cliff, I’ll sign up too.
Interesting post. Thanks.
'The future is already here;it's just not evenly distributed'
William Gibson
S-3 ranch

Post by S-3 ranch »

For Cara Cara or meadowlark, engraving of the ranch name on the blade as gifts for our guests and employees
“”Think of an edge as a living thing that comes and goes, born, get's old, is reborn.””
SAL :spyder:

“ The best laid schemes o’ Mice an’ Men” :bug-white-red :bug-white-red
bjz

Post by bjz »

Even though the meadowlark fits/fills my hand perfectly, I’ve really been digging the frn harrier 2! The obvious would be a SE harrier frn. I like Cl1ff’s idea of a reverse s, but maybe on the harrier platform? While we are at it maybe a harrier rescue or sheepsfoot, even ffg rather than Sabre grind? Then colors! I would really like to see any/all of the rescues offered in orange and/or yellow (other than just the Cara Cara).

I’m interested to see what the modifications to the tern (one of my favorites of any brand/style) will be.

Also, patiently (maybe not so patiently) waiting for the Byrd wharncliffes!
Last edited by bjz on Tue May 18, 2021 10:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bjz

Post by bjz »

Okay, I jumped the gun before and would like to add one more “like to see next” item. Something of a Byrd police 4 analog...personally I’d prefer frn (like the harrier) but understand the economics of starting with g-10. SE options out the gate. Sure, there is the actual police 4, but by most measures, it’s a pretty large folding knife. It would awesome to have a really economical option to test drive, and the super slim Byrd blade stock would make it ideal for lighter duty slicey tasks.
Cl1ff

Post by Cl1ff »

Oops, please excuse my online clumsiness :o
Last edited by Cl1ff on Thu May 20, 2021 6:04 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Cl1ff

Post by Cl1ff »

Didn’t actually intend to post (accidentally quoted my earlier comment instead of editing it), but I’m glad others like the idea of a large reverse S blade in the Byrd line.
It’s still what I’d want most!
Josh Crutchley

Post by Josh Crutchley »

I would like to see a Flatbyrd with upgraded steel.
cody6268

Post by cody6268 »

A little less Henry Ford with the color options. Something more in line with what we can get with the Seki knives.
sal

Post by sal »

Hi all,

Lotsa great suggestions. thanx for taking the time to share your thoughts.

sal