What would you like to see next from Byrd?

Discuss Spyderco's byrd knives.
vivi

What would you like to see next from Byrd?

Post by vivi »

1. I'd like to see more CTSBD1 used. I'd really like to see this steel offered in the Cara Cara....at least the Ti version. 8Cr works for me, but I appreciate the extra corrosion resistance of BD1.

2. Fixed blades. One of my most frequently EDC'd knives these days is a $25 fixed blade from another company. It's simple, lightweight, and came with a great sheath. I'd like to see some Byrd fixed blades under $50 that offer simple, work horse designs for a low price. I wonder how much an 8Cr Mule with FRN scales and a simple sheath would run?

3. Cara Cara XL. I've been asking for a Pacific Salt XL, but a Byrd Cara Cara XL would be fun too. Something with a blade around 5"...bigger than the Police, but not so big it seems more like a novelty than a knife to be used.

What would you like to see from Byrd?
:unicorn
anagarika

Re: What would you like to see next from Byrd?

Post by anagarika »

Cara - Cara XL sounds good. Lockback goodness.
:cool:
Sal has said the maker can’t work with CTS BD1 yet, but it’s going to be good if it works out.
Chris :spyder:
SharpieB

Post by SharpieB »

I agree about fixed knives.

Most of my fixed blades are cheapies from Gerber, Kershaw and Smith & Wesson. I won’t pay a ton for a fixed as I only use them in the woods and beat the **** out of them.

I would be all over reasonably priced Byrd machetes, tomahawks, large fixed, smaller blades, etc.

Unless the “value” market for fixed is small or unprofitable, I think it is a no brainer.
Uke

Post by Uke »

Those three all sound great to me!

I'd love to see a range of different FRN colors for the Cara Cara and Meadowlark - similar to the variety available for the Endura and Delica.
rivy

Post by rivy »

I'd love to see the titanium models get a slight bump up in steel... at least BD1, but other candidates could be 14c28n, vg10, really anything that's upmarket from 8cr, but without adding a ton to the price - a small price increase though would be okay.
sal

Post by sal »

the bump to BD1 is often a 30% increase in cost which the market is pushing back on.

sal
Elshauno

Post by Elshauno »

Sal, would an upgrade to Sandvik be as much of a pricedifference? We're starting to see it on a lot of the budget chinese stuff
Knife Knut

Post by Knife Knut »

Vivi wrote: 2. Fixed blades. One of my most frequently EDC'd knives these days is a $25 fixed blade from another company. It's simple, lightweight, and came with a great sheath. I'd like to see some Byrd fixed blades under $50 that offer simple, work horse designs for a low price. I wonder how much an 8Cr Mule with FRN scales and a simple sheath would run?
At a Minimum Advertised Price just under $33 I think the upcoming Spyderco Bow River might fill that niche nicely. http://catalog.spyderco.com/midyearprod ... e/?page=11
https://www.knifecenter.com/item/SPFB46 ... her-sheath
BornIn1500

Post by BornIn1500 »

But the Bow River is supposed to be pretty thin. Could it still be recommended as a work horse kind of knife? I want to buy it, but I think I would call it more of a light duty fixed blade, at least from the little we've seen of it.
ThePeacent

Post by ThePeacent »

BornIn1500 wrote:
Sat Jul 14, 2018 10:01 pm
But the Bow River is supposed to be pretty thin. Could it still be recommended as a work horse kind of knife? I want to buy it, but I think I would call it more of a light duty fixed blade, at least from the little we've seen of it.

you are here only for the Bow River aren't you? :p
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Elshauno,

We have moved some knives to Sandvik. There was a price increase, but not as great as BD1. But the BD1 outperforms Sandvik by quite a bit.

Hi BornIn1500,

Welcome to our forum.

"Workhorse" doesn't necessarily mean "heavy duty" and even that description can be questioned. If you don't pry with a knife, it usually isn't a question. When most think of "heavy duty", they're thinking of prying or hammering.

sal
knivesandbooks

Post by knivesandbooks »

I agree with Sal. I've put many a non beefy knife through a lot and the blades have all come out fine. The two years of warehouse work with my pm2 did nit affect the pointy tip.

I'm buying two bow rivers and will be using them for cooking and yard work.
Christ is risen from the dead, trampling down death by death, and on those in the tombs bestowing life!
knivesandbooks

Post by knivesandbooks »

Id like to see more knives like the polestar and alcyone. Those two plus the raven 2 really struck a chord with me. I like byrds that are a bit different and have swag at a value price. If I'm buying a value knife, I want to buy one a little different with a little flair. The raven 2 doesn't have that much flair but It is quite nice.

Also for the people who don't think the polestar is a value knife (not a byrd but still a spydie value folder), wtf? Anything that costs less than a delica is a value folder imo. I'd like to see more $40 to $70 byrds. Let the byrd line really shine.
Christ is risen from the dead, trampling down death by death, and on those in the tombs bestowing life!
willc

Post by willc »

I think 8cr is a fantastic steel for the price especially with Spydercos heat treat.

Some more eye catching colors of frn and some new blade shapes for existing models would really gain interest for non knife folks.

The Meadowlark is a great model and a wharncliff version would tops.
BornIn1500

Post by BornIn1500 »

ThePeacent wrote:
Sun Jul 15, 2018 9:15 am

you are here only for the Bow River aren't you? :p

I can't wait. :D I bought a Polestar a few months ago, though.
rivy

Post by rivy »

willc wrote:
Sun Jul 15, 2018 3:46 pm
I think 8cr is a fantastic steel for the price especially with Spydercos heat treat.

Some more eye catching colors of frn and some new blade shapes for existing models would really gain interest for non knife folks.

The Meadowlark is a great model and a wharncliff version would tops.
In for the wharnie meadowlark! A wharnie Robin would be cool too.
apollo
Location: A place where idiots and corrupt people are called the government…

Post by apollo »

Maybe spyderco could make a byrd with a leafshape blade like the little temperance? Or one with a bowiestyle blade like the chinook?
I dig those bladestyles very much and would definatly push me more in to collecting again. :)
If they put some color frn or a little color g10 in there it would make them really special.
For steel i would keep the standard 8crmov.

Quick question for Sal. We all know makers of steel acros the world always develop new steels but how is this in china are they also making new stuff and is there maybe a new variant of 8crmov in the works? Because it would be nice if there would also be a better chinese variant coming for us because it would be more easy to keep the price lower then working with bd1.
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Apollo,

I've not seen any new steels in China. Some of the makers are importing their own steels from the US & Europe. i'll watch the thread for suggestions.

sal
ThePeacent

Post by ThePeacent »

apollo wrote:
Sun Aug 05, 2018 2:44 pm
nd is there maybe a new variant of 8crmov in the works? Because it would be nice if there would also be a better chinese variant coming for us because it would be more easy to keep the price lower then working with bd1.

well you have 9Cr18MoV, the Chinese D2, and lots of Chinese companies using EU/US steels like S35VN, M390 or Sandvik steels :cool:
sal

Post by sal »

9Cr has .9 carbon, D2 has 1.6 carbon. 9cr is not a D2.

sal