Will the Byrd Cara Cara 2 be with us for a good long time?

Discuss Spyderco's byrd knives.
SpyderEdgeForever

Will the Byrd Cara Cara 2 be with us for a good long time?

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

Sal, I hope it is okay for me to ask this, but, can I and other Byrd fans be confident that the Byrd Cara Cara 2 with FRN handle will continue to be produced and will be with us at least for some good time to come?

Based on what you see?
ThePeacent

Re: Will the Byrd Cara Cara 2 be with us for a good long time?

Post by ThePeacent »

I hope! They are nice, affordable gifts and the gateway to Spyderco for some of our friends that still don't know they are hooked!

SpyderEdgeForever

Very great, Peacent! A question: Is the sharpened edge on that Byrd the factory edge or is that an edge you put on it yourself?
vivi

Post by vivi »

ThePeacent wrote:I hope! They are nice, affordable gifts and the gateway to Spyderco for some of our friends that still don't know they are hooked!

I see you've joined the dark side. Don't recall seeing you post a blacked out Pacific Salt yet!
:unicorn
ThePeacent

Post by ThePeacent »

SpyderEdgeForever wrote:Very great, Peacent! A question: Is the sharpened edge on that Byrd the factory edge or is that an edge you put on it yourself?
the edge has been stropped on leather three or four times but I haven't re-profiled or sharpened it on stones yet as I have very light usage in this blade, and it doesn't really need much more than stropping for the things I put it through

my main users are the SE Pacifics, the 5 of them, and those are almost the only ones to see some Sharpmaker action from time to time
ThePeacent

Post by ThePeacent »

Vivi wrote:
ThePeacent wrote:I hope! They are nice, affordable gifts and the gateway to Spyderco for some of our friends that still don't know they are hooked!

I see you've joined the dark side. Don't recall seeing you post a blacked out Pacific Salt yet!
well I had 3 Yellow, 2 Black so I guess I needed at least one Black on Black! ;)
it's the last Pacific I bought, as I don't like the new handles and wanted to have at least one of each variations with the E3 handle
SpyderEdgeForever

Peacent and Vivi you have some of the best knife pictures and Spyderco knife pics ever, thank you for your great posts and descriptions. I love how you show the Byrd Cara Cara at the perfect angles.

I am also glad the Cara Cara is still being made.
sal

Post by sal »

No plans to change it at this time.

sal
SpyderEdgeForever

sal wrote:No plans to change it at this time.

sal

Thank you so very much sal! This is great news and very comforting.

One of my latest uses for my Cara Cara 2: I was using it to break down an old cardboard box and it sheared through that like through the proverbial hot butter. I also did a cutting test on a standard plastic water bottle and, while there was a little bit of resistance, it sliced through it well.

I have it with me right now, and the blade has no side-play or wiggle whatsoever, it is solid, the lock is solid, and the edges are still razor sharp. This is a combo-edge/part serrated edition.

You just inspired me to get another one :) Thank you
ThePeacent

Post by ThePeacent »

I used mine at the garden as a loaner to open 2L plastic bottles and sliced through them with astounding ease, tip first, time after time

first time that co-workers handled it they were like :confused: , coming from cheap $5 knives, if any knife at all
It's the closest Spydie to the edge of the EDC box, the one most at reach when I leave in a hurry, on the very first line of action! :o

vivi

Post by vivi »

Gotta love the piercing action of the Cara Cara 2, thanks to the full distal taper. I was pleasantly surprised the first time I handled one how thin the tip is.
:unicorn
RobDigi

Post by RobDigi »

I can't stop looking at the Cara Cara 2 titanium $60
I know if I don't grab one these Cara Cara ti and they discontinue it... I'm gonna be sorrry. :-(
https://www.bladehq.com/item--Byrd-Cara ... ack--32708