The 30 day Byrd challenge!

Discuss Spyderco's byrd knives.
vivi

The 30 day Byrd challenge!

Post by vivi »

In the general discussion, there is another thread titled 30 day fixed blade challenge.

In the spirit of that challenge, I'd like to propose a new one. 30 day Byrd challenge!

The idea of this challenge is to both compare the overall quality of the $15-40 Byrd knife to the $100-200 Spydercos we often EDC, and see how well the 8Cr13MoV stacks up to the steels you typically use.

Pick a Byrd knife and make it the only knife you EDC for the full month of December. (Well, maybe make an exception on Christmas if you want to carry something fancier...)

I'm placing an order for some sharpening supplies this week, and with it I'm going to pick up a brand new Cara Cara 2 to EDC during December. The Cara Cara 1 is one of the knives that originally got me into Spyderco, and while I've purchased a few Cara Cara 2's in the past, they ended up as gifts or beaters rather than being my primary EDC.

Well, it's time for me to re-visit an old favorite, setting aside my Pacific Salts for the next month.

Anyone else up for the challenge?
:unicorn
Larry_Mott

Re: The 30 day Byrd challenge!

Post by Larry_Mott »

No challenge as i have already carried my Raven 2 daily (with a few exceptions) since it was released :)
Granted, the Raven 2 is BD1 not 8Cr13 but it hasn't once made me wish i had another knife instead
"Life is fragile - we should take better care of each other, and ourselves - every day!"
//Eva Mott 1941 - 2019. R.I.P.
vivi

Post by vivi »

Larry_Mott wrote:No challenge as i have already carried my Raven 2 daily (with a few exceptions) since it was released :)
Granted, the Raven 2 is BD1 not 8Cr13 but it hasn't once made me wish i had another knife instead
CTSBD1 has worked great for me in my Ronin 2.
ThePeacent

Post by ThePeacent »

I'm a full-time Byrd fan but i'm afraid I can't join the challenge,

first off because I'm having surgery this Friday and I won't be able to carry and use most knives the following days and I won't be able to post and log here for a week or so, I believe

secondly because being Christmas time it's the time of the year when I get more new knives, some of them gift, which require to be used and tested to decide whether to keep them and/or demonstrate the appreciation of the gift and the received tool(s)

I will follow with interest, though, as I'm always happy to learn how well these budget Spidey's perform, especially after the good impressions my newest Crossbill has left on me.
cabfrank

Post by cabfrank »

Best wishes for a speedy recovery!
anagarika

Post by anagarika »

Get well soon!
Chris :spyder:
ThePeacent

Post by ThePeacent »

thank you both!
I'll be pocketing the Byrd around until then, obviously no knives at the hospital so they need to get some love before that day arrives ;)

Nate

Post by Nate »

I might be interested in this, but with the announced pricing changes for 2018, I'll probably accelerate a couple of Spydie purchases into year end and wait on Byrds until next year since they're removing MAP on them.
:spyder:
crazywednesday

Post by crazywednesday »

I want to do this with a meadowlark hawkbill. Full disclosure, I have little issues with capitalism, but after some recent insite with the workings of big box/Chinese product, would I be feeding into a system that undermines American workers? Almost everything about that knife screams I should own it, but what about ethics? The closest I can get to that in the current like up is the Tasman. I own one already.
Thoughts? I'm mostly an open book.
Justin
cabfrank

Post by cabfrank »

My thoughts: Spyderco is still an American Company, one with more ethics and integrity than most. I think if you want it, get it.
vivi

Post by vivi »

crazywednesday wrote:I want to do this with a meadowlark hawkbill. Full disclosure, I have little issues with capitalism, but after some recent insite with the workings of big box/Chinese product, would I be feeding into a system that undermines American workers? Almost everything about that knife screams I should own it, but what about ethics? The closest I can get to that in the current like up is the Tasman. I own one already.
Thoughts? I'm mostly an open book.
my thoughts have always been if Sal is willing to produce a chinese made Spyderco, then I'm willing to buy it. I vehemently avoid any fakes, knock-offs or even "legitimately" made knives that are "inspired" by Spyderco designs (SOGzilla, Benchmade Pika, etc.).

Personally I'm interested in seeing the Byrd line expand to include $50 and under fixed blades.
defenestrate

Post by defenestrate »

I had no idea there was a G10 Crossbill! Guess that's what I get for not paying better attention!
rescue2694

Post by rescue2694 »

I've EDC'd a FRN Cara Cara for the last 2-3 years. I like every thing about it better than any other knife I own including my paramilitary (M4) or my stretch (HAP 40) other than the steel. The blade length (and thinness), it's light weight, and the handle ergo's are just perfect) It has been my work knife (cabinet maker/furniture builder/remodel construction/firefighter/EMT) and I have sharpened it probably weekly (or more often) during this time as I like a shaving sharp edge. I had to recently retire it for a new Cara Cara as I found the blade would no longer hold an edge. I'm speculating, but I'm thinking that the cutting edge is heat treated to a different HRC than the rest of the blade and that I had worn that hardened part of the blade away over the years of regular sharpening. I got my moneys worth and more over the life of the knife, but I did hate to have to replace it for a new one as I had a relationship/friendship with it over those years.
anagarika

Post by anagarika »

That’s pretty strange. I don’t think the maker has and would invest in differential heat treatment. My guess is that the primary grind (the FFG) gets too thick. Can you post a picture to show how much it has been sharpened?
I’m interested to find out why, and probably Sal can help checking.
crazywednesday

Post by crazywednesday »

crazywednesday wrote:Ordered a Byrd Hawkbill.... :D

I've been wanting one of these. For $17 I couldn't pass.
Quote from a different thread, but once its here Im in!
Justin
rescue2694

Post by rescue2694 »

anagarika wrote:My guess is that the primary grind (the FFG) gets too thick. Can you post a picture to show how much it has been sharpened?
I took a picture of my original compared to the one i'm carrying now ( a couple months pocket time) and a new in box Carra Carra, but I can't get it to upload (image to big) and I don't have time to mess with it now. what I did notice with them all next to each other is that the knives that I have carried have become much thinner behind the edge than the new one as I like them thin and slicey. Perhaps I'm taking them thinner than the steel can support, but I like a full flat (with a slight convex because I'm not a machine) and a very small secondary bevel at maybe 40 deg. I know that my Opinels are thin full flats with a tiny secondary and they hold an edge just fine and my old Cara Cara did just fine until it didn't, which made me think that it might have been sharpened past a point in the hardening process. The old blade has probably worn back 1/8th to 3/16ths. It still gets shaving sharp, just won't hold it beyond sharping a few pencils. admittity it could be caused by me as I thin blades when needed on a belt and use a paper wheel set-up or belts (both abrasive and leather) to sharpen on. I've never had an issue with heat buildup to the point of effecting temper on any of my blades, but that is of course a cumulative possibility.
anagarika

Post by anagarika »

rescue2694 wrote:
anagarika wrote:My guess is that the primary grind (the FFG) gets too thick. Can you post a picture to show how much it has been sharpened?
I took a picture of my original compared to the one i'm carrying now ( a couple months pocket time) and a new in box Carra Carra, but I can't get it to upload (image to big) and I don't have time to mess with it now. what I did notice with them all next to each other is that the knives that I have carried have become much thinner behind the edge than the new one as I like them thin and slicey. Perhaps I'm taking them thinner than the steel can support, but I like a full flat (with a slight convex because I'm not a machine) and a very small secondary bevel at maybe 40 deg. I know that my Opinels are thin full flats with a tiny secondary and they hold an edge just fine and my old Cara Cara did just fine until it didn't, which made me think that it might have been sharpened past a point in the hardening process. The old blade has probably worn back 1/8th to 3/16ths. It still gets shaving sharp, just won't hold it beyond sharping a few pencils. admittity it could be caused by me as I thin blades when needed on a belt and use a paper wheel set-up or belts (both abrasive and leather) to sharpen on. I've never had an issue with heat buildup to the point of effecting temper on any of my blades, but that is of course a cumulative possibility.
I have never worn 1/8 or 3/16 of the edge, so i really don’t know. It’s really strange though. If you’re in US, probably you can send it in for Sal to check.
crazywednesday

Post by crazywednesday »

Im in; I just received a Byrd Hawkbill in SE today. So far so great.
Justin
vivi

Post by vivi »

rescue2694 wrote:I've EDC'd a FRN Cara Cara for the last 2-3 years. I like every thing about it better than any other knife I own including my paramilitary (M4) or my stretch (HAP 40) other than the steel. The blade length (and thinness), it's light weight, and the handle ergo's are just perfect) It has been my work knife (cabinet maker/furniture builder/remodel construction/firefighter/EMT) and I have sharpened it probably weekly (or more often) during this time as I like a shaving sharp edge. I had to recently retire it for a new Cara Cara as I found the blade would no longer hold an edge. I'm speculating, but I'm thinking that the cutting edge is heat treated to a different HRC than the rest of the blade and that I had worn that hardened part of the blade away over the years of regular sharpening. I got my moneys worth and more over the life of the knife, but I did hate to have to replace it for a new one as I had a relationship/friendship with it over those years.
If it interests you, I'd like to try to put an edge on that knife for you.
rescue2694

Post by rescue2694 »

Vivi wrote:
rescue2694 wrote:
If it interests you, I'd like to try to put an edge on that knife for you.
It will take an edge. Just won't hold it. P.M. me if you'd still like to mess with it and I'll just send it to you as I no longer have a use for it. I have already replaced it with another Cara Cara (actually 2, one still in box for backup) as I really like them.