Robin 2 is tight and crunchy

Discuss Spyderco's byrd knives.
jaxonunit

Robin 2 is tight and crunchy

Post by jaxonunit »

Latest pickup is a Byrd Robin 2 with G-10 handles. I've been carrying a Raven 2 for about two months now and can't say enough about it. The Raven was perfect out of the box. My first Byrd was a Cara Cara 2, and it was a little on the stiff side until I opened it about a hundred times. Hoping the same will be true for the Robin. It was super stiff out of the box, I dowsed it with some machine oil and worked it a dozen times and it seemed to improve somewhat, but still way tighter than it should be. It almost feels like the piviot washers are made out of something different than my other three Byrds (I have a hawkbill too). I can one-hand it, but just before it clicks into locked, there is a "rough patch" I've never felt in any of my other Spydercos

The ergonomics are spot on for an "office knife," and it was scalpel sharp straight out of the box, so no complaints there. I just hope it will loosen up with use.

I have a sort of ADD issue when it comes to folders, so I commit to use any new folder exclusivly for thirty days before I judge it, so I hope this bird straightens up and flies right. I REALLY want to like it.
Tenacious Black Blade---Resilience---Persistence---Ambitious---Cara Cara 2---Hawkbill ---Manbug ---Tenacious Full SpyderEdge---Raven 2---Robin2---Matriarch 2

I'm only using black until Spyderco comes out with something darker.
sal

Re: Robin 2 is tight and crunchy

Post by sal »

Hi Jaxonunit,

Welcome to our forum.

I spent a great deal of time on the Robin design. It's a good size and performs well. I hope it smooths out for you.

sal
jaxonunit

Post by jaxonunit »

Thanks Sal. Yes, it's smoothed out nicely. I use folders like a lot of people use those "spinner" things these days. I don't mean I spin it around, but at rest, I usually have one in my hand just mindlessly opening and closing it.

The Robin is smooth enough for the famous Spyderco thumbnail flick now.
Tenacious Black Blade---Resilience---Persistence---Ambitious---Cara Cara 2---Hawkbill ---Manbug ---Tenacious Full SpyderEdge---Raven 2---Robin2---Matriarch 2

I'm only using black until Spyderco comes out with something darker.
BravoTango

Post by BravoTango »

I have a Robin 2 with similar difficulties, I have tried everything short of disassembly to smooth it out, added tuff-glide, tried some graphite on the operating surfaces of the mechanism, and a lengthy opening-closing cycle. it has improved, but it feels like its going to take many more cycles to get it nice and smooth/crisp, I don't feel like I'll ever be able to thumb-flick it. however that could be due to my hand size and the geometry of the byrd hole, my thumb binds up on the inside edge.

Planning to gift it out at this point.
:spyder: Ben,

The North Remembers.

Has (Always in flux): Shaman, Chef, Techno, M390 Para 3, Gayle Bradley 2, Manix 2 M4. Manix 2 XL, Blue Weave Domino, CF Chaparral, Vtoku2 Endura 4, D-Fly Salt Hawk SE.[/s].

Wants: Manix 2 XL CPM-M4 or 4V, Compression Lock, Tip-up Military, Yojimbo 2 XL.
roy d

Post by roy d »

Do you guys loosen the pivot screw a bit? Does that help the problem any?

The spydie hole has sharp edges as does the Boyd Dent. How do you relieve those edges? Thanks!