Byrd Raven or Pole Star: Which one?

Discuss Spyderco's byrd knives.
SpyderEdgeForever

Byrd Raven or Pole Star: Which one?

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

If you all had a choice between the new Byrd Raven or the Spyderco Pole Star, which one would you pick?
ASmitty

Re: Byrd Raven or Pole Star: Which one?

Post by ASmitty »

Polestar for me. I, personally, am not a fan of large finger choils on my knives. So, the Polestar's lack of choil is appealing as it gives more edge length in a slightly shorter blade. I also like the Polestar's handle scales a little better because they're not just the standard black G10 that comes on so many knives.

The opening hole shape and the fact that the Polestar is Spyderco branded vs the Raven's byrd branding may matter to some, but those aren't driving factors for me.
Joris Mo

Post by Joris Mo »

Probably would go with the Polestar. I do prefer the Spydiehole over the Byrdhole and I really like the new Chinese G10 on the Polestar.
(looks do matter)

I do really like a good choil though so it would be a hard choice, the handle on the Polestar does allow quite well to get the grip near the edge without a choil which makes it easier to skip the choil.
(have the Crow2 and love the choil on that as well, so if you like a choil the Raven should be great too)
Larry_Mott

Post by Larry_Mott »

Have both, Raven's the winner in my book, hands down. I like the choil, and besides, the Raven is smoother than the Polestar. Hole shape doesn't matter a iota since the "squint" faces the tip. Can't feel the difference when deploying the blade.
Last edited by Larry_Mott on Tue May 16, 2017 3:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Life is fragile - we should take better care of each other, and ourselves - every day!"
//Eva Mott 1941 - 2019. R.I.P.
Leadsled

Post by Leadsled »

I have the Raven 2. I like choils. I think the Polestar was in response to the Raven 2 jumping the Value Folders in terms of steel and quality.

I just find the Raven 2 more appealing. I think the comet shaped hole really complements the shape of the knife. I also put a deep carry clip for being the Tenacious on it.
Never underestimate the predictability of stupidity.
spyderwolf

Post by spyderwolf »

Polestar for me.I hate choils,and the grey-blue G10 is realy nice.
Whenever there is any doubt, there is no doubt.
ABX2011

Post by ABX2011 »

I'm not really a choil guy but the Raven is a better value. It's smoother. I like the thicker liner. And it costs less.
holeshot

Post by holeshot »

Double your pleasure, double your fun, get both. :)
"No matter where you go, there you are"
LDB

Post by LDB »

I don't want made in China so I'd lean toward a Centofante or other similar price range options from other sources. Any particular reason the choice is limited to those two?
ASmitty

Post by ASmitty »

LDB wrote:I don't want made in China so I'd lean toward a Centofante or other similar price range options from other sources. Any particular reason the choice is limited to those two?
I don't think the OP is looking for help with a buying decision. I think he's just trying to open up some discussion on two very similar models.
jmh58

Post by jmh58 »

spyderwolf wrote:Polestar for me.I hate choils,and the grey-blue G10 is realy nice.
:D John
Not all who wander are lost!!!

Of all the paths you take in life...
Make sure some of them are Dirt!!! ;)