Cara Cara Rescue in orange FRN? AWESOME, thanks Sal!

Discuss Spyderco's byrd knives.
Sirens1

Cara Cara Rescue in orange FRN? AWESOME, thanks Sal!

Post by Sirens1 »

Just saw this on BHQ coming soon section! Hopefully there will be more colorful Byrd's migrating our way someday!
tonijedi

Re: Cara Cara Rescue in orange FRN? AWESOME, thanks Sal!

Post by tonijedi »

A meadowlark in Orange would be cool as well!
Titomake

Post by Titomake »

Good news. Orange is one of my favorite colours for knives.
Joris Mo

Post by Joris Mo »

Good to see a first step in color variations in FRN on Byrds!
thombrogan

Post by thombrogan »

Yes, thank you, Papa Spyder!
SpyderEdgeForever

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

COOL! :)
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

looks nice.
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
thombrogan

Post by thombrogan »

Supposed that FRN hawkbill showed up in orange? This part of the gallery wouldn't weep inconsolably
Sirens1

Post by Sirens1 »

thombrogan wrote:Supposed that FRN hawkbill showed up in orange? This part of the gallery wouldn't weep inconsolably
So true!
rivy

Post by rivy »

I've been thinking of ordering the rescue in orange and a normal FRN Cara Cara to do a blade swap. Anyone know if this is possible. It appears the handles and size and everything are the same since the rescue is also a cara cara model. I'd love an orange cara cara.
thombrogan

Post by thombrogan »

Some day, I may post pics. It's stunning, feels like it was purpose made for my hand, and has the classiest satin finish I've ever spied. Shows off that I'm totally carrying an orange handled, sheepsfoot blade when clipped to the pocket. Very outdoorsy, but not discrete. Definitely should post pics before it becomes a yard work companion.
defenestrate

Post by defenestrate »

rivy wrote:I've been thinking of ordering the rescue in orange and a normal FRN Cara Cara to do a blade swap. Anyone know if this is possible. It appears the handles and size and everything are the same since the rescue is also a cara cara model. I'd love an orange cara cara.
I was planning to try putting a G10 handle on my caracara rescue and I'm nearly certain it would function, but 2 things: 1> you will want to swap the lockbar with blade because they are individually fit per knife and 2> there could be enough variation in manufacture that the lockbar and blade will fit a bit differently (I'm pretty certain they would function but might feel looser or tighter, or the lockbar might not be completely flush though it would likely be close)
defenestrate

Post by defenestrate »

I will definitely be interested. The cara cara rescue is a great knife and I dig the orange handles especially on such knives.
rivy

Post by rivy »

defenestrate wrote:I will definitely be interested. The cara cara rescue is a great knife and I dig the orange handles especially on such knives.
It's already available. BladeHQ has them in stock.
rivy

Post by rivy »

defenestrate wrote:
rivy wrote:I've been thinking of ordering the rescue in orange and a normal FRN Cara Cara to do a blade swap. Anyone know if this is possible. It appears the handles and size and everything are the same since the rescue is also a cara cara model. I'd love an orange cara cara.
I was planning to try putting a G10 handle on my caracara rescue and I'm nearly certain it would function, but 2 things: 1> you will want to swap the lockbar with blade because they are individually fit per knife and 2> there could be enough variation in manufacture that the lockbar and blade will fit a bit differently (I'm pretty certain they would function but might feel looser or tighter, or the lockbar might not be completely flush though it would likely be close)
If you get an orange rescue and want to take it apart to put G10 on it, I'll buy your orange scales from you.
anagarika

Post by anagarika »

The only caveat is be careful with the loctite used by this maker. I have 8 screws out of 4 Cara Cara2 FRNs ruined as it got stuck by the overflowing (sometimes caked with) loctite. 5 of them are on pocket clip.
One knife I gave up and didn't even try disassembly because the pocket clip stuck (5 screws untested).

The problem is that the loctite won't budge with boiling water and I dared not using soldering iron for overheating will ruin the FRN. It's not red. It's whitish in color.

The good thing is that the pivot remains nice & tight after hundreds of operations. No side to side play.

My suggestion is buy them, send them to Spyderco asking for loosening all screws if you're in US. After the last red loctite issue, they said this can be requested.
Chris :spyder:
rivy

Post by rivy »

That's good to know! I couldn't get the clip off my past Byrd knife either and ended up having a stripped screw that wouldn't budge. Eventually I gave up. Tried the recommended hammer trick too.
anagarika

Post by anagarika »

rivy wrote:That's good to know! I couldn't get the clip off my past Byrd knife either and ended up having a stripped screw that wouldn't budge. Eventually I gave up. Tried the recommended hammer trick too.
Yeah. Me too. Hammer method might work for Golden red Loctite models. Not for Cara2.

I have shared it with Charlynn, and hopefully it gets passed to the maker. Byrd lines are too good to be ruined by wrong locker IMO.
anagarika

Post by anagarika »

Update:

I cut a slot into the screw heads and used flat head screwdriver to take them off. Successfully for the two I had probem with.
Emailed Charlynn & SFO, they are sending replacement!
Very good service I'd say.

Tips:
Heat a metal stick to glowing red, put on the screw head, to heat it up, then bear down on it and twist with the screwdriver. I used short handled one so the butt of the driver was in my palm, easier to put my weight behind it. Put the handle on a cloth so not to ruin the FRN. Also be careful when heating the screw head, missing it and touch the FRN resulting in melted FRN.
C99c

Post by C99c »

I've got some thrifty river rat and caver friends that are very excited about this model.

Between the great price point and the fact that I've found the Cara Cara's "rougher" handle finish and Byrd hole to offer better traction in messy conditions than it's Endura/Rescue cousins, especially with gloves on, I'm eager to receive the ones I ordered.
Support Knife Rights. https://kniferights.org/

Don't buy knives from EBAY or AMAZON. There are plenty of good companies that will appreciate your business and don't sell fakes.