Byrd Hawkbill

Discuss Spyderco's byrd knives.
Cowboyfromhell
Member
Posts: 82
Joined: Sun Apr 14, 2019 7:56 pm

Re: Byrd Hawkbill

Postby Cowboyfromhell » Sun Apr 28, 2019 5:07 am

I am impressed by the quality if the BYRD knives. I gifted 2 robin2 to my wife and daughter and they love them too! I actually had to have one too so I ordered a hawkbill serrated! These are the best bang for the buck knives I have ever seen. Honestly I think I like the Robyn2 better than my DFLY2 which is 3x the price!!!!

User avatar
SpyderEdgeForever
Member
Posts: 6301
Joined: Mon Jul 23, 2012 6:53 pm
Location: USA

Re: Byrd Hawkbill

Postby SpyderEdgeForever » Sun Apr 28, 2019 9:13 am

Cowboy, welcome to the forum and yes the Byrd Knives are great aren't they? The Hawkbill cuts like a chainsaw. I have heard that fishermen and fisherwomen use them on boats and when fishing from land.

User avatar
steelcity16
Member
Posts: 3337
Joined: Mon Dec 11, 2017 11:34 am

Re: Byrd Hawkbill

Postby steelcity16 » Sat Jun 01, 2019 10:06 am

Got my first ever Byrd in the mail today. The Hawkbill. Great value for a Spyderedge Hawk. Can't wait to put it to use!

How about a Spyderhawk sized Byrd???????? THAT would be amazing! My Spyderhawk is the only knife I have a backup of. I would love to see the H1 SE Spyderhawk as a production knife, but a budget friendly Byrd version would be nice as well for a great beater yard knife.
:spyder: CRU-CARTA THEM ALL! :spyder:

nugi
Member
Posts: 17
Joined: Thu Jan 17, 2019 6:55 pm

Re: Byrd Hawkbill

Postby nugi » Fri Jun 07, 2019 9:09 pm

Just received a Byrd hawkbill and everything about it is great except for one thing - the point stops on the plastic back ever so slightly. The point appears to rest maybe a hair’s breadth above the back (I actually can’t tell if it’s touching or not) but it definitely makes contact upon closing the knife. Should I send it back or is this just Byrd? Otherwise the knife is impressive but I’m not sure if it will be able to maintain a point
Wire clip me. Wire clip now. Me a wire clip needing a lot now.

nugi
Member
Posts: 17
Joined: Thu Jan 17, 2019 6:55 pm

Re: Byrd Hawkbill

Postby nugi » Thu Jun 20, 2019 8:53 am

I scraped some plastic away inside the handle, no more contact!
Wire clip me. Wire clip now. Me a wire clip needing a lot now.

User avatar
defenestrate
Member
Posts: 2361
Joined: Fri Sep 24, 2004 10:33 am
Location: RTP NC area
Contact:

Re: Byrd Hawkbill

Postby defenestrate » Sun Oct 20, 2019 2:24 am

I would definitely be interested in a byrd equivalent of the spyderhawk. Hawkbills don't always sell well but some of us would definitely like it. IIRC the crossbill is very close to Spyderhawk size - wouldn't mind a serrated option on that, even as a sprint or similar.

I really like the hawkbill. I dig the choil even though it takes a little length off the edge. Very much like a more affordable tasman/merlin.

crazywednesday
Member
Posts: 537
Joined: Tue Jun 27, 2017 8:32 am
Location: Pacific Northwest

Re: Byrd Hawkbill

Postby crazywednesday » Mon Oct 21, 2019 11:12 pm

steelcity16 wrote:
Sat Jun 01, 2019 10:06 am
Got my first ever Byrd in the mail today. The Hawkbill. Great value for a Spyderedge Hawk. Can't wait to put it to use!

How about a Spyderhawk sized Byrd???????? THAT would be amazing! My Spyderhawk is the only knife I have a backup of. I would love to see the H1 SE Spyderhawk as a production knife, but a budget friendly Byrd version would be nice as well for a great beater yard knife.
How are you liking your Byrd hawkbill? Isn't it easy to sharpen? Do you love the shallow serrations? For me it's the perfect size. I would love to see a golden version of this.
Justin

User avatar
defenestrate
Member
Posts: 2361
Joined: Fri Sep 24, 2004 10:33 am
Location: RTP NC area
Contact:

Re: Byrd Hawkbill

Postby defenestrate » Sat Nov 02, 2019 7:15 pm

It's very close to the same size as the tasman, with a little less cutting edge due to the choil. I like the choil and the shallower serrations are less likely to hang up, but the tasman will tear a bit more. Both are fine choices.

The Meat man
Member
Posts: 3025
Joined: Wed Jan 03, 2018 8:01 pm
Location: Missouri, USA

Re: Byrd Hawkbill

Postby The Meat man » Thu Dec 26, 2019 9:40 am

Just placed an order for one. It'll be my first hawkbill blade and I am interested in seeing how I like it. Also, it will be my first Byrd knife.
- Connor

Jesus said, "I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me." (John 14:6)

TkoK83Spy
Member
Posts: 3040
Joined: Mon Sep 17, 2018 5:32 pm
Location: Syracuse, NY

Re: Byrd Hawkbill

Postby TkoK83Spy » Thu Dec 26, 2019 11:46 am

It's new to me...you guys should consider the Matriarch if looking into a hawkbill. Fantastic quality for under $100 (SE VG-10). Using mine today.
Currently have 20 :spyder: 's in 14 different steels.

-Rick

prndltech
Member
Posts: 654
Joined: Thu Sep 26, 2019 10:53 am
Location: Austin, Texas

Re: Byrd Hawkbill

Postby prndltech » Thu Dec 26, 2019 6:42 pm

It’s also $70 more dollars...

A Byrd hawkbill is $24... Just about 1/4th the price.


I own all the SE h1 hawkbills from spyderco and I still think I’m gonna but one of these for something?
The planter, the farmer, the mechanic, and the laborer... form the great body of the people of the United States, they are the bone and sinew of the country men who love liberty and desire nothing but equal rights and equal laws. - Andrew Jackson

TkoK83Spy
Member
Posts: 3040
Joined: Mon Sep 17, 2018 5:32 pm
Location: Syracuse, NY

Re: Byrd Hawkbill

Postby TkoK83Spy » Thu Dec 26, 2019 6:52 pm

prndltech wrote:
Thu Dec 26, 2019 6:42 pm
It’s also $70 more dollars...

A Byrd hawkbill is $24... Just about 1/4th the price.


I own all the SE h1 hawkbills from spyderco and I still think I’m gonna but one of these for something?
WOW! I didn't realize the price difference. I wouldn't even have mentioned it had I known. My bad everyone.
Currently have 20 :spyder: 's in 14 different steels.

-Rick

prndltech
Member
Posts: 654
Joined: Thu Sep 26, 2019 10:53 am
Location: Austin, Texas

Re: Byrd Hawkbill

Postby prndltech » Thu Dec 26, 2019 7:37 pm

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Thu Dec 26, 2019 6:52 pm
prndltech wrote:
Thu Dec 26, 2019 6:42 pm
It’s also $70 more dollars...

A Byrd hawkbill is $24... Just about 1/4th the price.


I own all the SE h1 hawkbills from spyderco and I still think I’m gonna but one of these for something?
WOW! I didn't realize the price difference. I wouldn't even have mentioned it had I known. My bad everyone.
:D

I’ve heard everyone rave about the Byrd hawkbill...
The planter, the farmer, the mechanic, and the laborer... form the great body of the people of the United States, they are the bone and sinew of the country men who love liberty and desire nothing but equal rights and equal laws. - Andrew Jackson

The Meat man
Member
Posts: 3025
Joined: Wed Jan 03, 2018 8:01 pm
Location: Missouri, USA

Re: Byrd Hawkbill

Postby The Meat man » Thu Dec 26, 2019 8:32 pm

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Thu Dec 26, 2019 6:52 pm
prndltech wrote:
Thu Dec 26, 2019 6:42 pm
It’s also $70 more dollars...

A Byrd hawkbill is $24... Just about 1/4th the price.


I own all the SE h1 hawkbills from spyderco and I still think I’m gonna but one of these for something?
WOW! I didn't realize the price difference. I wouldn't even have mentioned it had I known. My bad everyone.
Yeah exactly. I've been wanting to give a hawkbill a try, and had my eye on the Harpy, but decided to start with the Byrd. $26 is ridiculously cheap, and while there is obviously going to be a big difference in fit, finish, and overall quality, I figured at that price I don't have anything to lose.
- Connor

Jesus said, "I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me." (John 14:6)

User avatar
PeaceInOurTime
Member
Posts: 359
Joined: Sun Apr 07, 2019 7:37 am

Re: Byrd Hawkbill

Postby PeaceInOurTime » Fri Dec 27, 2019 9:27 pm

The Meat man wrote:
Thu Dec 26, 2019 9:40 am
Just placed an order for one. It'll be my first hawkbill blade and I am interested in seeing how I like it. Also, it will be my first Byrd knife.

Honestly, I don't quite understand why the Byrds haven't been absorbed into the Spyderco value line. I've owned several Byrds and can't complain comparing them to the Chinese Spydies.

I've been enjoying my Hawkbill since getting it a few days ago. Let us know how you like it!
Wanna see knives in use? Visit my YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC3z6R5 ... hrIn41j14A

I'm currently participating in a serrated edge only challenge for 2020: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=85560

The Meat man
Member
Posts: 3025
Joined: Wed Jan 03, 2018 8:01 pm
Location: Missouri, USA

Re: Byrd Hawkbill

Postby The Meat man » Fri Dec 27, 2019 10:10 pm

PeaceInOurTime wrote:
Fri Dec 27, 2019 9:27 pm
The Meat man wrote:
Thu Dec 26, 2019 9:40 am
Just placed an order for one. It'll be my first hawkbill blade and I am interested in seeing how I like it. Also, it will be my first Byrd knife.

Honestly, I don't quite understand why the Byrds haven't been absorbed into the Spyderco value line. I've owned several Byrds and can't complain comparing them to the Chinese Spydies.

I've been enjoying my Hawkbill since getting it a few days ago. Let us know how you like it!

I most certainly will. I'm thinking of doing a hawkbill-only carry challenge for awhile, when I get it. I've found that nothing quite acquaintances you with a knife's design or steel like forcing yourself to carry it exclusively for a month. That's what made me really appreciate SE in the form of my Pacific Salt last year.
- Connor

Jesus said, "I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me." (John 14:6)

User avatar
PeaceInOurTime
Member
Posts: 359
Joined: Sun Apr 07, 2019 7:37 am

Re: Byrd Hawkbill

Postby PeaceInOurTime » Fri Dec 27, 2019 11:10 pm

The Meat man wrote:
I most certainly will. I'm thinking of doing a hawkbill-only carry challenge for awhile, when I get it. I've found that nothing quite acquaintances you with a knife's design or steel like forcing yourself to carry it exclusively for a month. That's what made me really appreciate SE in the form of my Pacific Salt last year.

I'm forcing myself to only carry SE this coming year (for my primary user) and am starting off the year with the Hawkbill :) .

Image
Wanna see knives in use? Visit my YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC3z6R5 ... hrIn41j14A

I'm currently participating in a serrated edge only challenge for 2020: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=85560

The Meat man
Member
Posts: 3025
Joined: Wed Jan 03, 2018 8:01 pm
Location: Missouri, USA

Re: Byrd Hawkbill

Postby The Meat man » Sat Dec 28, 2019 4:38 pm

Well, the knife came a few days ahead of schedule. First impressions:

For the money, it's a very nice knife. The construction is solid and well done. Opening and closing is quite stiff but will probably smooth out over time. The blade is centered when closed.

The lock is well executed, very strong, and does not have any side-to-side play. It does have some vertical play, but every backlock I own has some degree of that.

I don't like the raised ridge around the FRN handle. I wish it would be more rounded. I also dislike the "registered" symbol etched into the blade; it makes it look tacky.

As you can see on the attached photos, the backspacer doesn't sit flush with the scales. A minor point and one easily remedied. On the plus side, the lockbar is perfectly flush both in the locked and closed positions.

The serrations are much shallower and slightly more rounded than on my typical Spyderco knives, which I think will be a good thing. Less pointy and less deep serrations mean less prone to snagging, and maybe a bit easier to sharpen also. We'll see how the performance is.

The knife came sharp enough to both slice and pushcut phonebook paper. Also sharp enough to slice an orange in half. ;)

For $26 I cannot complain. I look forward to putting this knife to some hard use.

Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
- Connor

Jesus said, "I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me." (John 14:6)

The Meat man
Member
Posts: 3025
Joined: Wed Jan 03, 2018 8:01 pm
Location: Missouri, USA

Re: Byrd Hawkbill

Postby The Meat man » Sun Dec 29, 2019 4:08 pm

Out on a run this afternoon:

Image
- Connor

Jesus said, "I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me." (John 14:6)

User avatar
PeaceInOurTime
Member
Posts: 359
Joined: Sun Apr 07, 2019 7:37 am

Re: Byrd Hawkbill

Postby PeaceInOurTime » Sun Dec 29, 2019 4:45 pm

Wanna see knives in use? Visit my YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC3z6R5 ... hrIn41j14A

I'm currently participating in a serrated edge only challenge for 2020: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=85560


Return to “byrd Knife General Discussion”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: rwasham and 1 guest