Byrd Hawkbill Question: Which one?

Discuss Spyderco's byrd knives.
SpyderEdgeForever

Byrd Hawkbill Question: Which one?

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

I welcome all responses. Especially our resident Hawkbill expert, JD.

If one were to purchase one of the Byrd Hawkbills, would you go with the all-stainless CrossBill, or, the Byrd hawkbill with FRN handle?

Uses: Everyday carry, cutting chores, want a nice-looking knife, emergency self-defense, etc.

Pictures:

https://www.spyderco.com/catalog/detail ... roduct=604

https://www.spyderco.com/catalog/details/BY07/181

The Byrd Hawkbill with FRN handle is sortof like a Byrd version of the Tasman Salt.

The Byrd CrossBill is almost like a Byrd version of the Harpy.
valenciamanu

Re: Byrd Hawkbill Question: Which one?

Post by valenciamanu »

To me I do not like knives with steel handle. Especially if it is for continuous use. Over time it is more marked the mango. Plus heavier. Although I also understand that they are more robust. Greetings
anagarika

Post by anagarika »

Not only the handle material. The handle shape is also important. Crossbill has that protruding flare near pivot part that when closed, very uncomfortable to hold.
Agree with valenciamanu, it's heavy. My friend had one, I tried liking it, just can't. :(

On the contrary, the FRN is like Tasman with choil, what not to like? ;)
Chris :spyder:
SpyderEdgeForever

Greetings and thank you both. I have to agree, you are right. The Byrd Hawkbill with FRN handle is the way to go for me.

Would either of you like to ever see a Byrd Hawkbill with a longer blade, like in the 3.5 inch length?
valenciamanu

Post by valenciamanu »

Well I do not know what to say. My byrd and Spyderco are all of the most classic sheet. A greeting
SpyderEdgeForever

valenciamanu: Do you see many Spyderco Byrd knives and other Spyderco knives in Spain in the knife stores?
valenciamanu

Post by valenciamanu »

SpyderEdgeForever wrote:valenciamanu: Do you see many Spyderco Byrd knives and other Spyderco knives in Spain in the knife stores?
In my locality of about 210,000 inhabitants I have never seen Spyderco or Byrd in stores. But there are not any cutlery. If there are armories, but the knives there are usually hunting Spanish (there are very good) and Asian. There is also Sak opinel And knives typical of here (of this part in particular of Spain). There are also hardware stores and fishing.Lo other shops by catalago.The law of arms is very different here.Las of fire only for hunting and shooting deportivo.Una store Armeria very close taking advantage of that works with the importer of spyderco told me that same brings, but the truth is that with the prices that the importer works is very difficult. A Delica 4 in vg10 and frn the importer puts a recommended price of 126 Euros. In a very close town there are three places where there is. But in one I now avoid buying. In bigger cities there are. Many think that they bring them from outside. They avoid dealing with the importer. Their prices do not help that they are seen and ultimente more. And not only those of Spyderco. Also those of other houses with which it works. But collector people do have spyderco.Purchase spyderco online. a greeting
ShaneInDenver

Post by ShaneInDenver »

I have one of the Byrd Crossbills in G10, full serrated and the Byrd Hawkbill FRN, full serrated. I personally prefer the Hawkbill FRN due to it's smaller size and lighter weight. My cutting tasks are very minimal however, the knife gets used for cutting vegetables out of the garden and breaking down boxes.
ThePeacent

Post by ThePeacent »

SpyderEdgeForever wrote:valenciamanu: Do you see many Spyderco Byrd knives and other Spyderco knives in Spain in the knife stores?
I live in Barcelona, Spain (1.5 million people city). There are 6 major knife stores, Armories if you will. Three of them carry Spydercos, at the usual overinflated European prices:

some examples: Endura 4 FRN basic config. 120 euros, around $130. Pacific Salt yellow FRN, $180
Manbug $50

etc. etc.

Many online stores carry both Spyderco and Byrd lines, but I've never seen Byrd folders on any of the local stores in my city

Just my $0.02