Byrd Cara Cara Lovers

Discuss Spyderco's byrd knives.
carrot

Re: Byrd Cara Cara Lovers

Post by carrot »

It's funny. I picked up a SpyderEdge Police SS because I felt like I needed to finally own that classic Spyderco history, and in turn that spurred me to pick up a Cara Cara 2 in stainless PE.

I've never really given stainless handles a shot because I thought they were too heavy, but the Cara Cara 2 SS just slips in and out of the pockets so easily and I love the pocket worn look that the stainless handles are starting to accumulate. The Cara Cara 2 is also a design that really rivals its more expensive brethren, with a nice slim flat ground blade and sweet choil. 8Cr is also totally underrated, it is so easy to put on a keen edge.
anagarika

Post by anagarika »

Vivi,

I'm in the process of thinning it down (bringing the edge bevel, not the primary grind, lower), influenced by your sharing. I also share your view that it's handle shape is more filling and comfortable compared to Endura. If only we can have the shape of this with rounded edges & bidirectional of Endura. Endura 5 perhaps?

And yes, if one gets a good example, the latest satin finish of the FFG blade is really nice.

PS, I don't think the coating on black Cara Cara is DLC. Must be something else.
Chris :spyder:
BLUETYPEII

Post by BLUETYPEII »

Doe anyone know what size the clip screws are on the Cara Cara 2. Specifically metric or standard, and thread pitch. I am attempting to do a small customization so I need to find replacement clip screws that are a little longer ( like 2mm ) than the standard ones
40 Spyderco knives in 11 different steels,
1 Byrd and 30 “others”
BLUETYPEII

Post by BLUETYPEII »

Check out this little mod I did, the regular clip is mounted on the other side.
Attachments
C781E7A9-3E1D-4FAA-9E4A-65B878CD5D12.jpeg
C781E7A9-3E1D-4FAA-9E4A-65B878CD5D12.jpeg (45.08 KiB) Viewed 1650 times
40 Spyderco knives in 11 different steels,
1 Byrd and 30 “others”