Byrd Cara Cara Lovers

Discuss Spyderco's byrd knives.
sal

Re: Byrd Cara Cara Lovers

Post by sal »

Hi CascadianAaron,

Welcome to our forum.

I think that lock type also plays a roll in the "smoothness".

sal
CascadianAaron

Post by CascadianAaron »

sal wrote:Hi CascadianAaron,

Welcome to our forum.

I think that lock type also plays a roll in the "smoothness".

sal
Would it be safe to say then that a Endura 4 would also have a stiffer action than say a Manix in the same way the Cara Cara has a stiffer action than the Tenacious? I don't have any higher end Spyderco Knives (Yet...) so I can't compare. I do however have a Buck Spitfire Lockback that is quite smooth opening and closing so the locking type can't be all the issue.

-Aaron
sal

Post by sal »

That's possible. If it bothers you, you can always send it in to us for a look-see.

sal
anagarika

Post by anagarika »

I have or ever had Tenacious, Resilience, Cara Cara & Endura. The Endura is smoother than Cara Cara, but not that much different.
The lockback by design has the tang under constant pressure & friction with lockbar will definitely make it harder. Try loosening the lockbar pivot rather, so at least the lockbar also can freely swing.

Some people smooth/sand the spring-lockbar interface, that should help but it requires disassmbly, voiding warranty. So you might want to send it in.

Lastly, try a generous amount of WD 40 in pivot, lockbar, & spring. It might help releasing cruds, etc. that might add to the friction.

Definitely different from the liner lock such as Tenacious, being heavier to manipulate. But I like lockback better, even like the heavier feel better.
Chris :spyder:
Leadsled

Post by Leadsled »

Ballistol and constant manipulation has smoothed out both the FRN and G10 to where a quick flick of the thumb and wrist will open them rapidly. Normal opening is smooth as butter.

While otherwise not doing anything, I constantly opened and closed the knives. Used a cotton swab to ensure the innards were free of any residue and applied a few drops of Ballistol with a toothpick to the friction surfaces.

The FRN Cara Cara 2 and Meadowlark 2 G10 required some time to smooth out. The G10 Cara Cara 2 required the least amount of time.

Every so often I'll lube them and ensure no debris has gotten into the locking surfaces.
Never underestimate the predictability of stupidity.
ManekUEMF

Post by ManekUEMF »

I can honestly say that I would pay twice the cost of the Cara Cara 2 and be happy. I love the choil and hand position option. I also prefer the slightly chunkier and more square handle over the Endura I've tried out. I love this knife because it's handled EVERYTHING I've thrown at it and, due to price, I'm not worried about anything happening to it (not that I abuse it). I would love to see some sprint runs in different steels or an Emerson wave feature.
Mad Mac
Location: Northern Far West Deep East Texas in the Dirty South

Post by Mad Mac »

Since we have stopped putting out hay and I no longer feel the need for my SE Tenacious to cut netting, I have been carrying my PE Cara Cara 2. It is very light and handy, easy to deploy and close and when cutting does not disappoint. If we keep bragging about Byrd knives, however, the Company may raise the prices. So maybe we should keep it our secret.
1990: Endura SE, Delica PE, Mariner, Police. 2014: ClipiTool Bottle Opener. 2015: Kitchen Knife PE, Tenacious CE, Stretch PE, Moran Drop Point, Kiwi, 2 Byrd Cara Caras, Schempp Bowie, Native 5 Forum Knife, Police SE, Tenacious SE, 4" Paring Knife, 2" Paring Knife, Terzuola Starmate. 2016: The Spyderco Story, Terzuola The Tactical Folding Knife, USN Ladybug H-1 Hawkbill SE, Black BaliYo, Yellow H-1 Salt Dragonfly 2 SE, Hennicke Ulize, Pink Native 5 PE, Renegade C23PS and C23P, Gayle Bradley 2, Terzuola Double Bevel, Gayle Bradley Air, Cricket Blue Nishjin, Centofante Memory, K2, 2 Large Lum Pink, Carey Rubicon. 2017: Dialex Battlestation, Orange Southard Positron, Gray Baliyo, Native 5 CE, Tenacious CE. 2018: Schempp EuroEdge, Eric Glesser ClipiTool Standard. 2019 Calendar Contest Reinhold Rhino CF PLN. 2022: Byrd Robin 2 Wharncliffe, Byrd Cara Cara 2 Rescue Orange, Janich Yojimbo 2 CruWear.
Motorcycle adventures in a past life.
SpyderEdgeForever

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

Sal, I bought one of the new Byrd Cara Cara 2 folders, the one with comboedge/part serrated, in honor of you and your great customer service, friendship, and being one of my favorite people. What should I expect in the new one over the old one? I have the old one here that has the slots/holes in the FRN handle.

I want to go on a picnic with some friends and bring a few watermelons, cantalopes, and large rolls of Artisan-baked bread, with meats and cheeses. This knife would be perfect for cutting those foods up, I think?
sal

Post by sal »

Hi SEF,

It's a different maker with numerous improvements to the model. Let us know what you think?

sal
SpyderEdgeForever

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

I received the knife. It is definitely well-made for the price and it is all I expected and more. You did a wonderful job on this sal, thank you!

Already using it for various chores and the edge is razor-sharp and the knife handles comfortably and is all-around great :)
ThePeacent

Post by ThePeacent »

I have a lot of budget folders from the classic brands, and I picked up a Resilience two years ago.
While I like the resilience a lot, I'll admit the Cara Cara 2 was even more impressive and after a year and a half I can say I'd gladly pay the same than I paid for the Resilience and still be happy with the value I get.

It's really an awesome slicer, dependable, and mine came with no play or problems other than some rough edges on the handle.

Long live the Cara Cara 2!
anagarika

Post by anagarika »

Few questions:
- Is the PE part ground on both sides or one side for a Cara Cara CE? Some images shown on the web with narrow bevel (indicating both sides) but some with wider bevel like Peacent's image above (indicating one side). Are the FRN, Stainless and Stainless Black grind the same?
- The black on black CE has screwed construction. Will we see the same applied to Stainless version?
ThePeacent

Post by ThePeacent »

I can only tell you mine (CE FRN version) is completely flat on one side and has a secondary bevel on the other. I guess we could call it chisel grind? (see pics of both blade sides below)

Image (side with primary bevel from spine to near the edge, and secondary bevel)

(side completely uniform and flat from spine to the very edge)
anagarika

Post by anagarika »

Thank you for confirming what I thought it is, chisel grind, looking at how wide the bevel of the PE part. Some images on the net showed much narrower bevel which suggests normal grind.
thombrogan

Post by thombrogan »

I have the older, hollow-ground version and it is a 50/50 grind like most folders. Of course, I've mostly ground off the hollow parts of the blade and now it looks like I fed it to a bunch of garbage disposals, but it was a regular, double-beveled folder before I got to it.

ThePeacent,

You should photograph knives professionally if you don't already. The CS Roach Belly barely appealed to me until seeing those photos. It'll have to wait until some orange Spyderhawks find their forever home, but it still looks fun.
anagarika

Post by anagarika »

The Roach Belly indeed looks nice :D
Not much bigger than Cara2? Or the photo angle effect?
anagarika

Post by anagarika »

Got my Cara Cara (2 of them) today. As nice as I remember. :). One has uneven spine grind but not affecting functionality, I'm fine with it. The edge is sharp & nice.

Only problem is the clip screws won't budge, even with the tap method Mike shared recently in the Advocate announcement. Perhaps Spyderco needs to tell the maker to use less strong thread locker.

Edit to add: 2 out of 6 screws are now having the head rounded. This whitish thread locker the maker uses is too much. I think it's important to tell them this. Used heat from boiling water, and quality driver, managed to remove one clip, and one screw from the other. The screw quality isn't the problem, all the other 4 are ok, even with some force they finally came out. I have emailed Charlynn about it.
anagarika

Post by anagarika »

I hope you get it sorted. I can flick them but admittedly much stronger than my Endura, so the flick isn't always working. I don't really have the need to flick so it doesn't really bother me.

PS: as discussed with Charlynn, I managed to take off the offending clip screws, they'd send me replacement. I just got the screw replacement. I can now put the clip on if needed/want to carry clipped.

Edit to add: I have two, the good one (symmetrical grind, smooth action but ruined clip screw) is easy to flick. The worse example (asymmetrical grind, gritty nearing lockup or early when unlock) is more difficult to flick. So YMMV.
BTW, do you have other lockbacks that you usually flick too? I'd recommend when practicing, tape the edge to prevent accidents.
anagarika

Post by anagarika »

ronbo wrote:anagarika......How did you know ? just read the last sentence in your "edit to add" where you say to tape the edge...So far I have cut myself 4 times working this cara cara in. I will tape the edge now. And this is my only lockback yes.
I've been cut in various ways for being careless or stupid or both :eek:
Since you've polished all mating surfaces, then resistance comes from blade pivot and lockbar pivot tightness. Try loosening them. What cannot be eliminated is the lockbar-tang pressure & friction.
Practice to strengthen the fingers (that's why tape is important). I saw one YT that the guy didn't even have to 'cock' his finger. He must have goliath strength. For me, middle finger flick is easier on Cara Cara than thumb flick.
If you can flick Cara Cara, the Spyderco's lockbacks should be easy, most are easier (Endura & Stretch for example).

Good luck! Just remember, flicking is just a small part of the enjoyment. The normal opening, using & closing it one handed is where most enjoyment can be found.

Edit: found the video, https://youtu.be/vJHaXxKMqkQ
vivi

Post by vivi »

The original G10 Cara Cara is what got me into Spyderco.

Bought a Delica 4 as my first based on recommendations, but found it too small once I tried it out the first time.

Eventually I came across the Cara Cara, which seemed like the perfect size. Fit me like a glove, better than any pocket knife I had tried at that point.

From there I mainly focused on acquiring their larger models. The Military was next, and I loved how it was larger than myCara Cara but the same weight. Then I got a C95 Manix, an ATR and a few others.

Despite owning all of those fantastic models, the Cara Cara still saw a lot of pocket time. To this day it remains a favorite, despite having Spydercos costing 8x as much in my EDC rotation.

I really need to buy another one. Can't decide which one I want. The Titanium version feels nice and is a nice weight. G10 has nice grip. FRN is really light. I like DLC, and stainless handles are the only DLC bladed Cara Caras, so maybe one of those.

Or maybe take a DLC blade and swap it into a Ti handle? I know I'd trash the SS handles in the process, but as long as the DLC blade fits the Ti handle and screw hardware I'd be ok with that. Seems like the ultimate Cara Cara for someone who really values corrosion resistance like I do.