Is there a BYRD in your pocket??

Discuss Spyderco's byrd knives.
Osok-308

Re: Is there a BYRD in your pocket??

Post by Osok-308 »

Currently carrying my standard Hawkbill. I'm looking this knife more every time I use it!
LordDisneyland

Post by LordDisneyland »

Seems like everybody lost faith in Byrds as an EDC knife? ;)

CaraCara 2 , EDC for the last two days.
z1r

Post by z1r »

Image Great for trimming the lower branches off of XMas trees.
Cl1ff

Post by Cl1ff »

I've been messing around with the Hawkbill I got before the weekend and was pretty impressed by the quality! It's just as solid as my other Spydercos. Not as nice finish as Seki or Golden, but still beautifully functional. I'm not sure which FRN I like more, but each seems to fit their respective knives well and maintain a good grip.
Will post some pictures sometime, and it certainly won't be my last Byrd.
rex121 is the king of steel, but nature’s teeth have been cutting for hundreds of millions of years and counting :cool:
z1r

Post by z1r »

This may sound like heresy, but I'd love if they made a PE Hawkbill. I have a Crossbill and love that blade, the knife is just a tab big for my needs thought. The steel is so easy to get sharp.
Blade_BG

Post by Blade_BG »

Hello, this is my Cara Cara 2 Wharncliffe. At first it seemed bigger, but it is very light, very well made and I got used to it. Now I'm dreaming a Spyderco!!! The unpleasant moment is that here in Bulgaria their prices are murderous 😢 Please excuse my bad English
Attachments
IMG_20230213_163630.jpg
IMG_20230213_163921.jpg
rmeron

Post by rmeron »

I have a Harrier 2 clipped and Robin 2 deep in pocket. Just love them
JoshLikesSekiCityKnives

Post by JoshLikesSekiCityKnives »

I always have a Byrd in my pocket.
Attachments
R (2).jpeg
cody6268

Post by cody6268 »

I bought the Robin 2 Wharncliffe at New Graham last month as a light, but powerful EDC; and because while I wanted a Tasman Salt, my budget wasn't allowing it.

The Byrd Robin 2 Wharncliffe is an incredibly capable cutter for its small size--just today, I whacked back an overly grown area beside a shed, and I was whacking through inch-thick parts of bushes. I didn't really even need a saw.

olywa

Post by olywa »

Sorry, no pic, but it's the Harrier 2 Wharnie for me today.
z1r

Post by z1r »

olywa wrote:
Tue Jun 13, 2023 1:41 pm
PE or SE? Since losing my Hawkbill, I switched to the SE Wharnie Harrier 2. OMG, what an absolute beast. Never thought I'd find a knife that would best my Hawkbill in the role I employed it in. But that Harrier 2 is simply amazing! For whatever reason, its blade seems to require touch up muss less frequently.

I love how the Harrier 2 has a blade that is longer than the Delica by half an Inch yet the handle is only .07" longer.
Bemo

Post by Bemo »

I've said before I prefer the handle designs on the Meadowlark and Harrier to their Seki counterparts. I'm a choil guy so I love these.
olywa

Post by olywa »

Yeah, my Harrier is the SE as well. I have the Meadowlark Hawkbill and Cara Cara Rescue (Orange) in SE too. I prefer the Harrier 2 handle because it has a little contouring that the others don't. But my Harrier also has a little lock rock that the others don't have. All three are great values and hard workers that take a screaming edge.
z1r

Post by z1r »

olywa wrote:
Fri Jun 16, 2023 11:25 pm
Yeah, my Harrier is the SE as well. I have the Meadowlark Hawkbill and Cara Cara Rescue (Orange) in SE too. I prefer the Harrier 2 handle because it has a little contouring that the others don't. But my Harrier also has a little lock rock that the others don't have. All three are great values and hard workers that take a screaming edge.
Lol, mine is reversed, the Hakbill had some lock rock but my Harrier is TIGHT! I do miss my Hawkbill though, need to get another.
skeeg11

Post by skeeg11 »

No lock rock on any of my Byrds. The SE Harrier Wharnie is an absolute winner in my book. A lot of knife snobs are missing out.
prndltech

Post by prndltech »

z1r wrote:
Fri Jun 16, 2023 12:30 pm
olywa wrote:
PE or SE? Since losing my Hawkbill, I switched to the SE Wharnie Harrier 2. OMG, what an absolute beast. Never thought I'd find a knife that would best my Hawkbill in the role I employed it in. But that Harrier 2 is simply amazing! For whatever reason, its blade seems to require touch up muss less frequently.
[im

I love how the Harrier 2 has a blade that is longer than the Delica by half an Inch yet the handle is only .07" longer.
yeahhh... ima need ta get me one of these!!!

edit* 40 minutes later and I have one on the way from white mountain knives
- Shannon

MNOSD 0006
skeeg11

Post by skeeg11 »

You're gonna luv it. It's the kind of knife that makes you question why you spend the big bucks on so many other knives. The kind of knife that you don't mind recommending to almost anyone, including non knife people. For me, the serrated Wharnie Harrier 2 is kinda special. It's got that Goldilocks feel to it. Just my opinion, but I'd wager that with the exception of corrosion resistance and a little toughness, FFG serrated Byrds marginally outperform serrated low hollow Seki H1 knives in wear resistance and cutting performance. (no hacking or twisting)
z1r

Post by z1r »

prndltech wrote:
Tue Jul 04, 2023 10:30 am
z1r wrote:
Fri Jun 16, 2023 12:30 pm
olywa wrote:
[im

yeahhh... ima need ta get me one of these!!!

edit* 40 minutes later and I have one on the way from white mountain knives
Good for you. I just sharpened mine for the first time. I'm pleasantly surprised at just how much use I got out of it before it needed some touch up. I can't get over just how much I like this knife. Let us know how you like yours when you get it!
GT99

Post by GT99 »

Figured I'd pick one up just to see what they are about, I love my wharncliffe endura k390 so figured why not try a wharncliffe cara cara, for the price due to the 3 day sale I couldn't pass up, not expecting much from the steel compared to all my other knives which are all super steels aside from a few s30v blades.
olywa

Post by olywa »

The Byrd 8CR13 ain't half bad, especially in SE, and the Byrd serrated edge pattern is very effective. Byrds may be a little rough around the edges (barring the newer Harrier 2s), but all of mine have solid lockups and no noticeable blade play. Solid values, every one.