Is there a BYRD in your pocket??

Discuss Spyderco's byrd knives.
tap78

Re: Is there a BYRD in your pocket??

Post by tap78 »

Last edited by tap78 on Fri Aug 20, 2021 4:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ngati Pom

Post by Ngati Pom »

Helping deal to the lemon tree.
'The future is already here;it's just not evenly distributed'
William Gibson
PeaceInOurTime

Post by PeaceInOurTime »

z1r

Post by z1r »

PeaceInOurTime wrote:
Tue Mar 22, 2022 10:55 am
I like!
PeaceInOurTime

Post by PeaceInOurTime »

z1r wrote:
Wed Mar 23, 2022 2:24 pm
PeaceInOurTime wrote:
Tue Mar 22, 2022 10:55 am
I like!

Me too! 😁
z1r

Post by z1r »

Funny thing, I stopped by the SFO wanting to have my Hawkbill looked at. Of course I forgot it, but did walk away with a SE Wharnie Delic and XL Stretch 2.
Sonorum

Post by Sonorum »

Harrier Wharncliffe
/ David
PeaceInOurTime

Post by PeaceInOurTime »

z1r

Post by z1r »

Indeed!

Ramonade

Post by Ramonade »

Had the hawkbill today.
Putting the meadowlark Ti scales on it is cool! I might feel obligated to do such thing now, just need to buy it ^^
:respect In the collection :respect : Lots of different steels, in lots of different (and same) Spydercos.

Robin. Finally made an IG : ramo_knives

MNOSD member 004* aka Mr. N5s :face-clouds
z1r

Post by z1r »

Ramonade wrote:
Mon Apr 04, 2022 4:56 pm
Had the hawkbill today.
Putting the meadowlark Ti scales on it is cool! I might feel obligated to do such thing now, just need to buy it ^^
Ah, a scale swap. I'll have to keep an eye peeled. I came upon a Ti Cara-cara, but would love a Ti Hawkbill.
PeaceInOurTime

Post by PeaceInOurTime »

It's one of my favorites, such a classy beast. Bought the titanium just for the blade swap. 🙂
z1r

Post by z1r »

PeaceInOurTime wrote:
Wed Apr 06, 2022 4:52 pm
It's one of my favorites, such a classy beast. Bought the titanium just for the blade swap. 🙂
I'm keeping an eye out.
bjz

Post by bjz »

I’m kicking myself for not grabbing one (or a few) of the ti meadowlarks! The hawkbill+ti would probably be a daily carry for me while the regular hawkbill typically sits in the garage on the garden shelf.

Similarly, I often wonder why Spyderco never decided to go full frn on the byrds and make them true lightweights? Even something akin to the centofante 3 handle!
PeaceInOurTime

Post by PeaceInOurTime »

bjz wrote: I’m kicking myself for not grabbing one (or a few) of the ti meadowlarks! The hawkbill+ti would probably be a daily carry for me while the regular hawkbill typically sits in the garage on the garden shelf.

Similarly, I often wonder why Spyderco never decided to go full frn on the byrds and make them true lightweights? Even something akin to the centofante 3 handle!

Yeah, I kinda wish I would have bought more titanium Byrd models. I doubt we'll ever see them again. I bought the Ti Meadowlark after they were discontinued, probably just in time.

z1r

Post by z1r »

I have to find myself a Ti Meadowlark. I like that the Ti variants are screwed rather than pinned like the SS versions.
skeeg11

Post by skeeg11 »

bjz wrote:
Sat Apr 09, 2022 10:24 pm

Similarly, I often wonder why Spyderco never decided to go full frn on the byrds and make them true lightweights?
Frankly, I'm kinda glad that the Byrds are not full on lightweights. I have yet to find one that has less than bank vault tight lockup and the skeletonized liners probably have much to do with that. No Seki lightweight lock flop whatsoever. Just got in a couple of Byrd wharnies and they are no exception. Finding it kinda difficult keeping the serrated Harrier Wharnie out of my pocket these days. So much to like about it.
z1r

Post by z1r »

skeeg11 wrote:
Tue Apr 12, 2022 2:25 pm
bjz wrote:

Similarly, I often wonder why Spyderco never decided to go full frn on the byrds and make them true lightweights?
Frankly, I'm kinda glad that the Byrds are not full on lightweights. I have yet to find one that has less than bank vault tight lockup and the skeletonized liners probably have much to do with that. No Seki lightweight lock flop whatsoever. Just got in a couple of Byrd wharnies and they are no exception. Finding it kinda difficult keeping the serrated Harrier Wharnie out of my pocket these days. So much to like about it.
Yeah, I got a SE Wharnie Meadowlark. I feel the same. My beloved Hawkbill has become a disappointment. It has both side to side play at the pivot and lock rock. I had to inspect several when I bought its replacement to ensure I found one with minimal play. My Wharnie Meadowlark is tight as a drum as are both my Cara-Caras and my Harrier. That reminds me, I think I need a Wharnie Harrier. :winking-tongue
skeeg11

Post by skeeg11 »

z1r wrote:
Tue Apr 12, 2022 4:24 pm
skeeg11 wrote:
Tue Apr 12, 2022 2:25 pm
bjz wrote:

Yeah, I got a SE Wharnie Meadowlark. I feel the same. My beloved Hawkbill has become a disappointment. It has both side to side play at the pivot and lock rock. I had to inspect several when I bought its replacement to ensure I found one with minimal play. My Wharnie Meadowlark is tight as a drum as are both my Cara-Caras and my Harrier. That reminds me, I think I need a Wharnie Harrier. :winking-tongue
I also got the serrated Cara Cara Wharnie and as I generally prefer larger knives, I thought I would prefer it to the serrated Harrier Wharnie. There is, however, something about the overall balance of properties of the Harrier that gives it that Goldielocks feel and makes me gravitate towards it.

For example:
The serrated Harrier Wharnie may be .2 oz heavier than my serrated LC200N Pac Salt 2 and the serrated edge 1/8" shorter than the serrated LC200N Pac Salt 2, but the closed length is 3/4" shorter than the Pac Salt 2.
bjz

Post by bjz »

Y’all have a good point…all of my Byrd back locks have smoother opening as well as more secure lockup than the few Seki lockbacks I own. The stretch 2 SS is close, but my harriers are better. The harrier wharnie is my next intended purchase.