Byrdie Hole?

Discuss Spyderco's byrd knives.
Screwdriver

Byrdie Hole?

Post by Screwdriver »

OK.....I love Byrd knives and read and watch as many reviews as I can....The one point that seems to be universal is the dislike of the Byrd hole compared to the Spydie hole....I just do not get it. Works as good imho as the Spydie one. In fact with gloves on it works better.
sal

Re: Byrdie Hole?

Post by sal »

We had to makie a distinctive difference in identifiavction between byrd and Spyderco. We created a hole that that works well and is different. Any objection to the appearance of the shape of the hole is not for functional reasons. We always lean more towards function than appearance.

sal
TheTKJProject

Post by TheTKJProject »

I just think that people arent used to it, I kinda like it. It is very functional.
sal

Post by sal »

Hi TKJProject,

Welcome to our forum.

sal
Chinook3

Post by Chinook3 »

Hello all new to the forum. I just purchased a CC2 FRN for my wife and she(we!) love it. The new Byrd hole on the knives was called a "Comet" somewhere else (I guess for the shape, it looks like a comet in action) which I thought was pretty cool. The knife is easy to open one handed right or left (my wife is a lefty with very small hands) which scores big in my book. Have a good day!
My response is "Just because you can't see it, doesn't mean it isn't there, it just means you can't see it". Sal G.
v8r

Post by v8r »

It has worked well for my uses. No complaints here.
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Chinook,

Welcome to our forum.

Peter and I worked on the shape of the "comet" hole for a long time until we were satisfied with the performance. Then we trademarked the shape. Glad you like it.

sal
Donut

Post by Donut »

I always find that if you need to pull the knife closed, it feels awkward. Maybe if you made the comet a little less pronounced and turned it, it would offer a round section when you need to close it. It would look more like an angry bird eye.
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
defenestrate

Post by defenestrate »

I know I have actually used the "tail" of that "comet" for something. I reckon it would be excellent with a firesteel.
DutchBlades

Post by DutchBlades »

I like the Byrd holes, they're functional and look pretty nice.
I'd still take a Spydie hole every day of the week over them because I associate them with a "cheaper" product.
The fact that the quality is lower, material quality and bladesteel makes me stick with my Spydies.
But allot of people whore aren't into knives seem to like the Byrd hole better :p
A tiger has claws.
A wolf has teeth.
An eagle has talons.
We, have Spyderco.

Grails: Abalone Mini Mariner, Ti ATR, WTC, Ti Lum Tanto