Not impressed with Spyderco

Discuss Spyderco's byrd knives.
suv44

Not impressed with Spyderco

Post by suv44 »

I had issues with a new Delica 4, and sent it in for repairs to Spyderco. The blade would not lock, and I could of cut my fingers.They said it was lint build up. I don't buy it for a moment. I carried it in my pocket for a few months,took it out, and operated it.All was good. I go to use it and it didn't lock. Is this what to expect from these knives. Also, after paying the shipping costs to send it to them, I have to pay return shipping. This knife is becoming costly. I asked, "what if this happens again?" All I got was silence. I had such high hopes for this knife, and it has been dashed.I have lost trust in the knife and the company. :mad:
Blerv

Re: Not impressed with Spyderco

Post by Blerv »

As a fellow customer and not an employee I empathize with your situation. You will probably get better feedback in the General Spyderco section rather than the Byrd subforum.

Keeping knives clean and maintained is paramount for safe operation and years of reliable service. Lock-backs are susceptible to lint or dirt gathering in the channel. While it's never happened to me I can see how this could occur. Perhaps another lock-type would be preferable that is less-likely to fail due to build-up? Something like the compression lock, Reeve Integral Lock, or Michael Walker Liner Lock for example.

Best of luck!
suv44

Re: Not impressed with Spyderco

Post by suv44 »

I was so pissed that I didn't notice I put it in the wrong forum. I have since put this in the general discussion.