Cara Cara Blade Rubbing When Closed

Discuss Spyderco's byrd knives.
Morgoroth

Cara Cara Blade Rubbing When Closed

Post by Morgoroth »

When I close my New Cara Cara, I noticed that the belly of the blade at the end, rests on the handle inside. I think it's the piece that holds the spring.

Anyway, I was just wondering if that is normal. I know some knives have extra pins, or a raised part near the hilt that keeps the blade "floating" when closed.

I'm thinking of putting a little piece of felt or cork there, but if it's a defect then I'd prefer to send it back.
arda

Post by arda »

You open the knife, it clicks to lock, the lock bar seats flush with the handle end of the blade spine. After that, you press on the spine of the blade and the lock bar lifts back up to the point where the lock releases and the blade will close? Essentially, this is operating like a slipjoint knife?
cisco ccna cisco ccna my-braindumps www.my-braindumps.com leather-jacket http://leather-jacket.co/ my writing jobs online my writing jobs online
Morgoroth

Post by Morgoroth »

I don't know what a slip joint knife is, but the lock works fine.
The problem is that the kick is to small and the edge of the blade rests on the inside of the handle when closed.
w3tnz

Post by w3tnz »

Normally the edge should not bottom out in the handle, it will blunt the edge and/or mess up the inside, as you say the kick off the ricasso should be the only point of contact. I would consider that a defect, but you will need to contact the seller/manufacturer to say for sure.
Morgoroth

Post by Morgoroth »

Yeah, I sent it in.
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Morgoroth,

Sorry for the hassle. thanx for sending it in.

Hi Arda,

Welcome to our forum.

sal
Morgoroth

Post by Morgoroth »

No worries, it would be a hassle if I had paid for a knife from a company that doesn't back their product. :-)
arda

Post by arda »

it will blunt the edge and/or mess up the inside, as you say the kick off the ricasso should be the only point of contact. I would consider that a defect, but you will need to contact the seller/manufacturer to say for sure.
cisco ccna cisco ccna my-braindumps www.my-braindumps.com leather-jacket http://leather-jacket.co/ my writing jobs online my writing jobs online
Morgoroth

Post by Morgoroth »

I got the knife back and I think the letter says there was no defect which is a little confusing.
I'm going to try calling the number Monday to see if I can find out exactly what they did.
I know the clip was replaced and it was sharpened, but I'm not sure they took it apart to see the rubbing.
Also, I'm not sure how to check to see if it's fixed without taking it apart, and I don't really want to void my warranty just yet.
I can still see the notch the blade put in the spring retainer so I know it was rubbing.
Titomake

Post by Titomake »

Hello.

Perhaps you could put some acrylic paint on the edge and ensure whether there is a contact point or not.

Regards.
Morgoroth

Post by Morgoroth »

That is a good idea.
I'll have to try that tonight.

Thanks!
CaliMarine

Post by CaliMarine »

Morgoroth wrote:I got the knife back and I think the letter says there was no defect which is a little confusing.
I'm going to try calling the number Monday to see if I can find out exactly what they did.
I know the clip was replaced and it was sharpened, but I'm not sure they took it apart to see the rubbing.
Also, I'm not sure how to check to see if it's fixed without taking it apart, and I don't really want to void my warranty just yet.
I can still see the notch the blade put in the spring retainer so I know it was rubbing.
I'm curious what they said. Please share. By the way, why didn't you just return it to the retailer instead and save all this expense and grief. I don't have this issue with my cara cara.
Morgoroth

Post by Morgoroth »

I would have but it was a gift, and I didn't have any info on where it was purchased. I didn't get much info from Spyderco. I thought they would replace it but they didn't. Best I can tell, they replaced the broken clip and sharpened it. I don't think they opened it up and I'm not sure how they would have fixed the rubbing issue with out opening it.
Commendatore

Post by Commendatore »

I had this kind of problem with my Robin G10. The backspacer holding that lock spring was dimensioned just a bit too big.
I do not recommend anyone voiding their warranty by modifying their blades.
For me the way to make this knife my preferred EDC was taking it apart and grinding off 1/2mm of the backspacer where it hit the edge. I probably would not have tried it if the knife value wasn´t far less than shipping cost to and from USA but it solved the problem and let me enjoy my knife.
opusxpn

Post by opusxpn »

I had something similar happen on my Robin2 G10 its an awesome little knife, actually the lock arm that goes in the blade notch to lock it open was to large and not finished so well it was very difficult to open the knife I cut my thumb finger trying to open it one handed after being cleaned and oiled.The screws were hard to take off I bent two of my torx keys, I replaced them screws and went to town on the arm sanded it down polished it. Now its smooth opening and closing plus I can take it down for cleaning if I need to. Sometimes you have to take matters in to your own hands.
Keep'em sharp :spyder: 9 Enduras, 4 Manix, Manix XL DLC, 3 Delicas, 5 Ladybug, 2 Manbug, 4 Dragonfly, Pingo, Cat, 3 Salt1, Pacific salt, Tasman, 3 stretch, 2 Tenacious, Resiliance, Robyn2 G10, 2byrd hawkbill, 4Para2, 2Military, native5 frn, Bradley folder, SpyDK, Kiwi, MT19, salt saver, Street bowie, Roadie,Squeak, 5 UKPK, k05 SE, k04 SE & PE