byrd maker adjustments

Discuss Spyderco's byrd knives.
sal

byrd maker adjustments

Post by sal »

Hi all,

I would like to explain some of the recent issues with the byrd line.

When we first began the line a number of years ago, we worked with a number of different makers in China. Checking qualities and abilities as we've done with makers in the past.

We ended up with some good makers after trying many. One of the best has been making many of the models for which we have had excellent reaction. (Cara Cara, Meadowlark, etc).

For the past couple of years, the maker has experienced many problems and we were feeling it on our end. Quality was slipping, delivery was inconsistent. An "adjustment" was needed. We began working with another maker that was highly recommended. We knew them from meetings in the past but hadn't had the opportunity to work with them.

Transitioning to another maker is a daunting task. Moving and modifying tooling, making new tooling. Prototypes, discussions on details has been going on for the past year plus. I didn't want to say much about the changes until I was sure that we could pull it off.

We have begun receiving production shipments from the new maker. We are currently receiving Cara Cara's, Meadowlarks and Robins in FRN and SS. and we're pleased to say that the knives are very nice. Even better than before.

sal
araneae

Post by araneae »

That sounds like good news for the users out there. The byrd line is already hard to beat for the price. I look forward to checking out some of these from the new maker and I can't wait to see bd-1 showing up.
sal wrote:Hi all,

I would like to explain some of the recent issues with the byrd line.

When we first began the line a number of years ago, we worked with a number of different makers in China. Checking qualities and abilities as we've done with makers in the past.

We ended up with some good makers after trying many. One of the best has been making many of the models for which we have had excellent reaction. (Cara Cara, Meadowlark, etc).

For the past couple of years, the maker has experienced many problems and we were feeling it on our end. Quality was slipping, delivery was inconsistent. An "adjustment" was needed. We began working with another maker that was highly recommended. We knew them from meetings in the past but hadn't had the opportunity to work with them.

Transitioning to another maker is a daunting task. Moving and modifying tooling, making new tooling. Prototypes, discussions on details has been going on for the past year plus. I didn't want to say much about the changes until I was sure that we could pull it off.

We have begun receiving production shipments from the new maker. We are currently receiving Cara Cara's, Meadowlarks and Robins in FRN and SS. and we're pleased to say that the knives are very nice. Even better than before.

sal
So many knives, so few pockets... :)
-Nick

Last in: N5 Magnacut
The "Spirit" of the design does not come through unless used. -Sal
scotchleaf

Post by scotchleaf »

Who makes Enlan brand knives? They do a nice job in terms of fit/finish. I can't applaud their creativity, but that's where you will come in.