Byrd Tern Quality issues

Discuss Spyderco's byrd knives.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Byrd Tern Quality issues

Post by Doc Dan »

Hi Folks,

I just received my Byrd Tern. If this knife is any indication, DON'T WASTE your money. I had real hopes for this knife after reading the reviews. I was doomed to disappointment. First, the blade opens just fine and it takes just the right amount of force. However, the knife blade is so easy to close I would be afraid to actually use it. It is not at all like the Slipits I am used to handling. Second, the grinding and finish on the blade is extremely poor. What I can sarcastically call the flats, are very, very wavy. There are many highs, lows, warps, and etc. The cheap knives I buy at the dollar store are better. Third, the blade is so dull, it will not cut paper (or my finger!).

On the positive side, the G10 is done well and the fit and finish of the scales and back spring are done very well.

I do not know if this is really typical, but this one is pretty bad, even for such an inexpensive knife.

Have any of you had issues like this?
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
daisysam

Post by daisysam »

The firebyrd is excellent in value and function. It is my favorite implement to open beer bottles with and the steel body is very stout - I'm pretty sure that with some care I could use it as a hammer - and have used it for hammerlike tasks. The body fits the hand well and looks good IMO. Perfect fit for a standard-sized Bic lighter. The blade is not especially long but action is still good after fairly serious use,, and it's super easy to sharpen to a ridiculous level of sharpness due to being basically a stubby Wharncliff shape. It is fairly effective with a magnesium starter and would probably be great with a firesteel as the comet shaped opening hole will catch most any firesteel I commonly see. Just a great implement at a great price - one of the best built basic multifunction camping implements available.
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Doc Dan,

Thanx for posting and we're sorry for your disappointment. Please send the knife to us, please call it to my attention and we'll figure out how to make you happy.

We've had issues with the "Tern" model from the beginning. We believe the design is sound, but the maker was getting very flaky. I posted another thread on the makers.

Hi Daisysam,

Welcome to our forum.

sal
araneae

Post by araneae »

My Tern is pretty decently finished. The spring is stiffer than my frn ukpk' s. I will admit that the flat grind was not perfect, but it was pretty inexpensive. Sounds like Sal is going to take care of you.
So many knives, so few pockets... :)
-Nick

Last in: N5 Magnacut
The "Spirit" of the design does not come through unless used. -Sal
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

sal wrote:Hi Doc Dan,

Thanx for posting and we're sorry for your disappointment. Please send the knife to us, please call it to my attention and we'll figure out how to make you happy.

We've had issues with the "Tern" model from the beginning. We believe the design is sound, but the maker was getting very flaky. I posted another thread on the makers.
sal
Thank you, Sal. That is very decent of you. I have quite a number of Spyderco knives and this is the first time I have had a manufacturer's defect. They have all been perfect. I will try and ship it to you. The problem is, since I am an expat, shipping cost 2x what the knife cost. But, I will take you up on your offer because you need to see what these guys are doing and I am a Spydie fan ( I especially love the Manbug G10 and DF G10, though I have others).

PS: I have been away so that is the reason for the late reply.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050