New Cara Cara 2 G10

Discuss Spyderco's byrd knives.
bmoe

New Cara Cara 2 G10

Post by bmoe »

]What a nice blade. I have had a couple cara cara's in the past, including a Gen 1 both in stainless and was impressed with them. The quality of this knife is outstanding, just as sharp as my tenacious out of the box. The G10 is well done and only slightly less eye catching than the tenacious.

It was dirty and gritty out of the box but 2 drops of Froglube had it working VERY smooth, almost Endura smooth. Fit and finish is fantastic, locks up solid and since the lube I have zero complaints. 33 dollars shipped on amazon. I still think the 40 dollar Tenacious is the best deal going but this is a close second. If you like the Endura style better than the Tenacious, this would be a great knife to put in your rotation.
Attachments
byrd3.JPG
byrd2.JPG
Byrd.JPG
fd1747

Post by fd1747 »

The Cara Cara looks good. I have just gotten into knifes and the Byrd line was really responsible for this. I first brought a byrd hawkbill and that was all she wrote. I have 2 Cara Cara's and love them both. Great knifes an d great price.
pasban1243

Re: New Cara Cara 2 G10

Post by pasban1243 »

the box but 2 drops of Froglube had it working????
Usman
Donut

Post by Donut »

-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
Titomake

Post by Titomake »

G-10 Cara Cara 2 is a very well made knife. The only minor drawback is the comet shaped hole. I personally prefer the round one of Spydercos.
Thanks for sharing.
Regards.
Ecchi-Spud

Post by Ecchi-Spud »

For a while I was trying to decide between the Tenacious and this; I eventually picked the Cara Cara 2 G-10 (and technically I still haven't ruled out the Tenacious for a future purchase). FINALLY got it today, and I have to say that I am REALLY IMPRESSED!! Definitely large (I choke up at the finger choil, and my full 4-finger grip comes to across that fourth pin -- then again, I have small-to-medium hands) and heavy (at 4.25 ounces it weighs more than my other two Spydies -- a Cat and a Squeak -- put together), but I'm very much surprised at how THIN the knife is (need to take the calipers to it, but I'll be surprised if it's more than 11mm, or .44 inches) (EDIT: Took the calipers to it -- turned out to be about .425 inches thick at the scales.). Clip works very well (and I'm not moving it from "right-hand tip-up"). Blade came out of the box hair-popping sharp, and AFAIK no blade play (up/down or side/side) when open. Blade isn't perfectly centered, but that doesn't seem to affect deployment (EDIT: Just a little bit of tightening at the pivot, and now the centering is perfect!). And I love how the spring tension in the lockback keeps this blade closed -- no worries that it might accidentally pop loose and give me a nasty surprise when I try to get it (for future reference, my type is A-positive).

My first byrd knife. CERTAINLY NOT my last. And, if anything, it's just whetting my appetite for even MORE Spydies AND BYRDS!
Mad Mac
Location: Northern Far West Deep East Texas in the Dirty South

Post by Mad Mac »

1990: Endura SE, Delica PE, Mariner, Police. 2014: ClipiTool Bottle Opener. 2015: Kitchen Knife PE, Tenacious CE, Stretch PE, Moran Drop Point, Kiwi, 2 Byrd Cara Caras, Schempp Bowie, Native 5 Forum Knife, Police SE, Tenacious SE, 4" Paring Knife, 2" Paring Knife, Terzuola Starmate. 2016: The Spyderco Story, Terzuola The Tactical Folding Knife, USN Ladybug H-1 Hawkbill SE, Black BaliYo, Yellow H-1 Salt Dragonfly 2 SE, Hennicke Ulize, Pink Native 5 PE, Renegade C23PS and C23P, Gayle Bradley 2, Terzuola Double Bevel, Gayle Bradley Air, Cricket Blue Nishjin, Centofante Memory, K2, 2 Large Lum Pink, Carey Rubicon. 2017: Dialex Battlestation, Orange Southard Positron, Gray Baliyo, Native 5 CE, Tenacious CE. 2018: Schempp EuroEdge, Eric Glesser ClipiTool Standard. 2019 Calendar Contest Reinhold Rhino CF PLN. 2022: Byrd Robin 2 Wharncliffe, Byrd Cara Cara 2 Rescue Orange, Janich Yojimbo 2 CruWear.
Motorcycle adventures in a past life.
ScottieG59

Post by ScottieG59 »

I know.. it is an old thread. I have a Byrd Cara Cara 2 G10 and it is a very well made knife. My only complaint is that it had grit and crime in the pivot area and the washers were not in great shape. I also found some minor rust on the back spacer that holds the lock spring.

With some cleaning, polishing and new washers, it works like a champ and will hopefully resist rust in those hidden areas. I probable did more than was needed, but it really made the knife very smooth without the break-in period.
ThePeacent

Post by ThePeacent »

Yeah, reviving an old thread again, but I've been carrying my Cara Cara 2 recently and I just remembered how nice of a blade is for the price.

Hard to beat this champ!
Jsd

Post by Jsd »

I have a Cara Cara 2, but in frn, which I prefer due to the weight savings. It takes a great edge and the design is excellent.
Donut

Post by Donut »

Man, I was freaking out, over a year ago and I was posting pictures that I never took! lol
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!