metalhed
Location: (Golden, 5 miles from Spyderco)<NO LONGER Sacrameno Ca

Post by metalhed »

Mouse or Toad or Spyderkey style or a tie clip knife
MetalHed
Rock on- Dude!
Deal4

Post by Deal4 »

I realize the Tenacious line pretty much has it covered, but since we are focusing on byrds I would love to see a leaf blade on a byrd knife. The leaf style blade is one of my favorites and there is nothing like that presently in the byrd line up that I know of.
jackknifeh

Post by jackknifeh »

I have always wondered what the draw is for leaf shaped blades. I don't see how they are better than a clip point. I like the blade on the Gayle Bradley and most byrds. Oops, I didn't mean to mention Gayle Bradley in the byrd forum. :) Maybe they aren't better, just different. A leaf shape does make spreading butter or something easier. :)
KardinalSyn

Post by KardinalSyn »

Nice to see the Byrd section up and running. As for my ideas, I have brain freeze right now and can't think of anything. Will pop by later on that.
:spyder: Centofante3 (C66PBK3), ParaMilitary2 (C81GPCMO), Endura4 (C10P), GrassHopper (C138P), Military (C36GPCMO), Perrin PPT (C135GP), Squeak (C154PBK), Dragonfly 2 Salt (C28PYL2), Military M390 CF (C36CFM390P), R (C67GF), ParaMilitary2 CTS-XHP (C81GPOR2), Tuff (C151GTIP), Ladybug & Perrin Street Bowie (FB04PBB)being the newest.
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Jack,

Leaf shaped blades have been around for about 40,000 years. very common for stone age spears, arrows and knives. provides a curved cutting edge and good penetration.

sal
Donut

Post by Donut »

I always figured that they would add more structural support having more steel between the edge and the spine.
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
RJNC

Post by RJNC »

As I've stated before, in the main forum, I'd LOVE to see some more Finch models. Also wouldn't mind some more Byrd clip less keychain models.
sal

Post by sal »

We do have a new finch 2 design.

sal
Chipped Karambit

Post by Chipped Karambit »

I must say more spyderedges in various size blades.
araneae

Post by araneae »

I'd like to see something in the smallish range. Byrds make nice starter/gift knives and most people start with a smaller blade. I have really been carrying the heck out of my Manbug and something similar would be cool. Perhaps just a smidge larger. And I would LOVE to see a pocket clip on an LBK.

I also think there is plenty of room for a smallish FRN scaled slipit in the market. Something cheaply priced and people friendly.
So many knives, so few pockets... :)
-Nick

Last in: N5 Magnacut
The "Spirit" of the design does not come through unless used. -Sal
Commendatore

Post by Commendatore »

I would like to have a small Wharncliffe blade with a choil. Something like a Robin with altered blade shape or a fixed blade with similar size and shape. And those awesome Byrd G10 scales!
ASmitty

Post by ASmitty »

sal wrote:We do have a new finch 2 design.

sal
Sal,

That's great to hear. I have a lot of friends who really envy my Ladybug but just aren't willing to spend the kind of money it would take to get one of their own. A Finch 2 would be a great option for them. Any possibility of seeing it in different colors, or is it only planned in black at this time?
"A flute with no holes is not a flute. A donut with no hole, is a danish."

Quietly lurking the Spyderco forum since 2003...
defenestrate

Post by defenestrate »

Something like a K05 would be excellent. a single kitchen knife at a modest price point usable for a number of food or camp related tasks could draw interest toward more models or higher-end fixed blades potentially.
-
Happy, Happy, Happy! Peel, Peel, Peel!
Pockets

Post by Pockets »

1623 wrote:Many of the byrd knives are loosely based on Spyderco branded models correct? The Cara Cara 2 is essentially the byrd line Endura, the Tern is like the UKPK, etc.

Given the popularity of the Para 2, would a byrd variant be a worthwhile tool up?
That's the first thing that popped into my mind.
Divo

Post by Divo »

IMO Byrd knives are the more budget brand of Spyderco.
To create an own identity and character they must be made with a slightly different kind of approach and design.

I’m thinking about an enhanced kind of Dyad.

A somewhat bigger knife with a grippy handle
- normal blade
- serrated blade

and
- on one end a mount for an interchangeable saw (small, compatible with T-shank blades)
- on the other end a mount for an interchangeable saw (big, 6 inch, dunno if there are already saws that follow some standard, otherwise Spyderco needs to deliver different blades as an option with this knife)(an extension package and/or just blades per piece to keep costs low for buyers with only specific needs)

Because of this concept in first it’s always a dual knife (like a Dyad), but also has the option being used as a multipurpose saw, without being too bulky or heavy. So users have the option to choose the most optimal saw blade and because the interchangeable design users don’t have to stick with dull blades but easily can be replaced.

Hope you can do something with this.
RJNC

Post by RJNC »

Sal, you just made my day! Finch 2 sounds awesome! Any hints on what the changes will be?
RJNC

Post by RJNC »

I like your thinking metalhed. I always liked the Toads I have plain and serrated ones. Would be great to see a Byrd/Toad, no clip though please.
MsbS

Post by MsbS »

- Wharnie or Sheepsfoot blade
- About 3" blade (perfect for EDCing)
- FFG
- FRN or G-10 (lightweight!)
- But most of all - COLOURS! Not just black vs stainless...
ASmitty

Post by ASmitty »

MsbS wrote: - But most of all - COLOURS! Not just black vs stainless...
This is the most important thing to bring to the byrd line-up IMO. We need more color variety on the budget end of things.

ASmitty

Post by ASmitty »

There is a thread up on the front page of the Spyderco General Discussion page right now trying to rally support for an FRN Caly 3. I posted in it indicating my support, but it also gave me the thought to come over here. What about a byrd that fills the niche of being a "FRN Caly 3." Now, I'm not talking about a direct copy of the Caly 3, but something in the same ballpark. Similar handle ergos, FFG leaf blade, wire clip. Maybe based on the Tern design, but make it a little bigger (4" closed, 3" blade) and add liners and a lock with an bi-directional textured FRN handle. I would be buying up multiples of something like that for myself and others.