New byrd model?

Discuss Spyderco's byrd knives.
sal

Post by sal »

We've got a Catbyrd in G-10 and a Harrier2 on the board as well.

Colors are difficult to do in China in G-10. The quality is not there (for us). We can do colors in FRN, which at this time includes the Cara Cara, Meadowlark, Robin "2" versions.

Finch 2 - mostly totally new blade shape. Will have similar handle (with finger choil) G-10 handle. If received well, we'll make an FRN one (and add colors).

Hoping to make something with CTS-BD1.

I can certainly see a pink Robin. What else?

sal
araneae

Post by araneae »

sal wrote:We've got a Catbyrd in G-10 and a Harrier2 on the board as well.

Colors are difficult to do in China in G-10. The quality is not there (for us). We can do colors in FRN, which at this time includes the Cara Cara, Meadowlark, Robin "2" versions.

Finch 2 - mostly totally new blade shape. Will have similar handle (with finger choil) G-10 handle. If received well, we'll make an FRN one (and add colors).

sal
Any hints about the Harrier? Bolstered? Any similarity to the original?

I like the G-10 Finch, carried it in my pocket when I got married. An FRN version in some colors would be nice. Orange would be nice. Maybe a bright blue.
So many knives, so few pockets... :)
-Nick

Last in: N5 Magnacut
The "Spirit" of the design does not come through unless used. -Sal
RJNC

Post by RJNC »

You made my day Sal! Can't wait for the new designed Finch!
Deal4

Post by Deal4 »

ASmitty wrote:There is a thread up on the front page of the Spyderco General Discussion page right now trying to rally support for an FRN Caly 3. I posted in it indicating my support, but it also gave me the thought to come over here. What about a byrd that fills the niche of being a "FRN Caly 3." Now, I'm not talking about a direct copy of the Caly 3, but something in the same ballpark. Similar handle ergos, FFG leaf blade, wire clip. Maybe based on the Tern design, but make it a little bigger (4" closed, 3" blade) and add liners and a lock with an bi-directional textured FRN handle. I would be buying up multiples of something like that for myself and others.
Wow, I like the sound of this idea! I would buy a bunch of these too!
Anyone else?
ASmitty

Post by ASmitty »

sal wrote:We've got a Catbyrd in G-10 and a Harrier2 on the board as well.

sal
Orange FRN Cara Cara and Meadowlark would be amazing. I have several friends who really like my orange Delica and/or Endura, but won't spend more than $30-40 on a pocket knife.
"A flute with no holes is not a flute. A donut with no hole, is a danish."

Quietly lurking the Spyderco forum since 2003...
RJNC

Post by RJNC »

Any chance of stuffing my stocking with a new Byrd Finch for Christmas?
sal

Post by sal »

RJNC wrote:Any chance of stuffing my stocking with a new Byrd Finch for Christmas?
Not a chance. Sorry.

sal
Donut

Post by Donut »

Byrd Southard or Captain? lol :)
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
bladechick777

Post by bladechick777 »

How about another Frame Lock Byrd?
You could do colored G-10 on one side, SS Frame Lock on the other, and a blade shape like on the Southard Flipper.
Add a lanyard tube, and a low ride clip.
I'd be interested in that.
razorsharp

Post by razorsharp »

I just went ahead and started drawing

This in BD1?

farns

Post by farns »

A mix between a jester and dragonfly might be neat, although it doesn't really look like either. I am not much of an artist but attempted a drawing. H1 with green FRN or BD1 with steel liners dressed up in green micarta. It could be called the Mallard.
Attachments
mallard.jpeg
razorsharp

Post by razorsharp »

farns wrote:A mix between a jester and dragonfly might be neat, although it doesn't really look like either. I am not much of an artist but attempted a drawing. H1 with green FRN or BD1 with steel liners dressed up in green micarta. It could be called the Mallard.
H1 isnt feasible unless its a round hole in the blade ;)
sal

Post by sal »

Keep the ideas coming. We're working on that line now.

sal
spyderedge

Post by spyderedge »

sal wrote:Keep the ideas coming. We're working on that line now.

sal
Cool.
My :spyder: Endura 4 FFG Plain, Black in VG-10 had been my faithful EDC companion since 9/26/2012
farns

Post by farns »

razorsharp wrote:H1 isnt feasible unless its a round hole in the blade ;)
I like the jester but think if it were a little bit closer to the dragonfly in size it would be perfect. H1 is more a wishful thing but a worn micarta scale in mallard green would look very nice.
razorsharp

Post by razorsharp »

A larger jester would be cool, cut away the spine on a dfly maybe
farns

Post by farns »

razorsharp wrote:A larger jester would be cool, cut away the spine on a dfly maybe
Would that be a mockingbyrd? If you added the Carraca or ratcheting sound it would truely be a mockingbyrd! :)

Seriously though, I find the dragonfly to be the perfect size for daily use and doesn't turn heads in a negative way but really like the jester blade. The current G-10 model is a little much cost wise for my tastes but maybe the byrd line could provide a more cost effective alternative with some nice clothing options.
Darkstar

Post by Darkstar »

I've just bumbled along & found this thread, which reminded me of something I mocked up in wood a couple of years back. The steel got cut out & then things got in the way. (Sal's seen it before.)
It seems to fit with some of the Wharnie/Sheepfoot ideas, crossed with the "Big Jester". There's jimping on both sides of the hump.
(You can laugh if you like - I learned a lot from making the wooden version that's helped with making proper folders since.) :)
The knife is 83mm by 28mm with a 60mm blade & a 50mm cutting edge
razorsharp

Post by razorsharp »

Oh crap, i forgot to mention, I just posted my idea as a quick mockup idea thingy not to be used, if you post designs here, they can not be used cause pulic already have access to the designs, youre better off PM'ing sal
farns

Post by farns »

razorsharp wrote:Oh crap, i forgot to mention, I just posted my idea as a quick mockup idea thingy not to be used, if you post designs here, they can not be used cause pulic already have access to the designs, youre better off PM'ing sal
That is good to know but in my case I was just excited about the question and I made a small activity out of it. I am guessing your comment was more directed at Darkstar, he has a very nice looking design there.